Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 PM

142 posts, read 516,623 times

Advertisements

Guys,
I'd like to register my website as LLC in NYC. Anyone has experience with this? Any accountant you can recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Don't do it in NY. Do it in Delaware. You can do this easily online. It's a LOT cheaper and easier in Delaware.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM

Thanks.
I'm under the impression that since i reside in NYC and pay tax here, my business have to be registered here.
Any reason for your suggestion?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
You don't have to register here. You can register anywhere. NY requires publication of the formation of the LLC in 2 newspapers (exactly which papers they will only tell you when you go down to the office at City Hall - they won't tell you on the phone or in the mail) for six weeks. It costs about $2000.

In Delaware, you just have to pay about $90 to register, there are no publication requirements and you pay your Delaware tax every June (wise people set up their LLC in Delaware in July for that reason) and it's not much, just about $100.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,283 times
Please keep in mind that if you intend to conduct business in New York and you incorporate in another state you may have to register as a Foreign LLC doing business in New York. If you need to do this, you will still end up having to do the publication requirements.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,265 times
You'll still pay taxes here. An LLC is a "pass-through entity", so any profits earned automatically flow to the members of the LLC in proportion to their sharing percentages, then personal income taxes are paid on that money. The LLC itself pays no taxes except for a small annual fee to the state in which it was formed.

Yes, the NYS publication requirements are really idiotic. Probably some kind of political favor to the newspaper industry. There is no rational reason for it.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 PM

Would it change anything if my business is entirely online i.e we don't provide any physical service. Our business is more in the news, online education sector.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 PM

111 posts, read 392,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraider View Post
Would it change anything if my business is entirely online i.e we don't provide any physical service. Our business is more in the news, online education sector.
You should get a lawyer.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraider View Post
Hey Drkman, I didn't know that! Good advice. I used to be an LLC member, until I sold my share a couple of years ago, but it was a NYS entity so the "foreign" designation did not apply.

To the OP: the definition of "doing business" in NYS is very much a gray area, even according to the state itself (warning: confusing legalese behind that link). However, based on the state's usual M.O., I suspect they would come down on any "Foreign" entity they suspect, demanding fees and threatening litigation, forcing the businessperson to defend himself. This is speculation, but it fits the pattern.

Here is the NYS page with information for forming an LLC.

Note that NYS requires an operating agreement too, even for single-member LLCs. More make-work for lawyers, I suppose.

It's amazing. Recently, I was helping out a friend in Atlanta with various aspects of getting his business started. For an LLC, the State of Georgia has you fill out a half-page form and requires the filing of a two-sentence Articles of Organization document (for which they provide a template). That's it. They also validate and return the paperwork within 5-7 business days. Oh, and the fee is only $100, plus $30 per year.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:23 PM

So NYC is not business friendly is the gist of this?
Thanks all. It's not like i'm going to start a Google startup or anything.
I will be a sole proprietor. I'm receiving income from the websites I run but I've filed them under personal income tax.

I plan to expand the business a bit. The LLC part is just to make my sites more legit in order to attract corporate clients. If I have a LLC, then all of my contract will be under my business instead of my personal id.

Does it make sense what I plan to do or should I just keep it personal?
I appreciate the input and the level of expertise this site provides. I plan to talk to an accountant soon but I like to have some background reading before hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City