Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:40 PM

16 posts, read 185,495 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I looked at an apartment on Broadway S 5th street and I really liked it (clean big 1 bedroom, new appliances, and very insulated so you won't hear loud noises and be awake all night) but I'm not so sure about the area. It seems OK, and I am going to go and check it out again tomorrow before I sign the lease.
Just wanted to know, does anyone live here? Is it safe for a young woman who won't get out of work till 11pm? (right now I live off the Myrtle/Wyckoff stop on the L train and it really sucks!)

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 03:34 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,586 times
Stop by there tonight. See how you feel being there alone late at night. Its not one of the best areas but that could be said about most of Brooklyn. Its really about how would you feel living there and having to handle your business in that area.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:30 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Stop by there tonight. See how you feel being there alone late at night. Its not one of the best areas but that could be said about most of Brooklyn. Its really about how would you feel living there and having to handle your business in that area.
A lot of truth in this statement but be prepared for people to rip when u say anything Negative about Brooklyn nowadays

Old 11-10-2009, 05:08 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
actually marcy avenue on the JMZ line looks a lot worse than it actually is....the intersection of marcy avenue and broadway looks really run-down, but its actually safe. i've been around there all times of night without an issue. i'll tell u this, its better than myrtle-wyckoff on the L. you have a better chance of being a victim of crime at myrtle-wyckoff than u do at marcy.

and keep in mind, i dont really think its safe for women to be out on the street really late at night anyway...but i dont think you'll have a problem in that area at 11 PM as long as u use common sense and dont walk with any jewelry, ipods, or cell phones out for the world to see.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-10-2009, 05:29 PM

82 posts, read 254,171 times
Much safer than it looks, to reiterate.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 PM

197 posts, read 895,006 times
IMO there is really no where in America that is really safe at night for a young woman by herself. Don't mean to be sexist , just saying that there are crazies and perverts all other place and they seem to always come out at night. Is Marcy Ave run down? Yes, but it is not too desolate at 11 pm. I see plenty of NYPD patrols on Marcy Ave so it is safer than Myrtle and Wykoff. Now would I let my 19 yr old daughter walk by herself there at night? No way.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,145,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreWhispers View Post
Hey guys!

I looked at an apartment on Broadway S 5th street and I really liked it (clean big 1 bedroom, new appliances, and very insulated so you won't hear loud noises and be awake all night) but I'm not so sure about the area. It seems OK, and I am going to go and check it out again tomorrow before I sign the lease.
Just wanted to know, does anyone live here? Is it safe for a young woman who won't get out of work till 11pm? (right now I live off the Myrtle/Wyckoff stop on the L train and it really sucks!)

Thanks to everyone in advance!

During the day it might not seem so scary since everyone is out and about but some of those school kids can be terrors. Try going there like at night pretend you getting off the subway at 11 like you would do every night and see for yourself if you feel safe because to be honest it's not much better then were you are now.

You also mentioned it was off the Marcy Avenue train stop and once you get off that train it's Marcy Houses (the housing authority projects) so if your going to be alone especially at night and in the winter when no one seems to be out that late just be careful..

Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,328 times
Quote:
actually marcy avenue on the JMZ line looks a lot worse than it actually is....the intersection of marcy avenue and broadway looks really run-down, but its actually safe. i've been around there all times of night without an issue. i'll tell u this, its better than myrtle-wyckoff on the L. you have a better chance of being a victim of crime at myrtle-wyckoff than u do at marcy.

and keep in mind, i dont really think its safe for women to be out on the street really late at night anyway...but i dont think you'll have a problem in that area at 11 PM as long as u use common sense and dont walk with any jewelry, ipods, or cell phones out for the world to see.
Quoted for truth. I live around there - Keap and South 2nd - and take the train to and from Marcy Ave. every day (though I'm a man, and I'm home from work around 6). It can look a bit run-down, and sometimes you see dudes hanging out in front of the bodegas, but it's really pretty safe. It is definitely much safer than the area around Myrtle-Wyckoff. I would not live there.

This neighborhood is mostly Hispanic and mostly families, with a decent number of young professionals mixed in. This area is a pretty good compromise of convenience, cost, and safety. I go out a lot and have never felt threatened coming home late. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
If you are going to be working late every night do not rent an apartment anywhere until you walk the walk.Go there tonight or some other night ... hell try it out on two nights, once during the week,once on a Friday or Saturday night.Walk from the stop to the building and see how it feels.Trust how you feel more than what anyone on here says. It's the only way.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:22 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,552,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
You also mentioned it was off the Marcy Avenue train stop and once you get off that train it's Marcy Houses (the housing authority projects) so if your going to be alone especially at night and in the winter when no one seems to be out that late just be careful..
The location is nowhere near Marcy Houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City