Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 08:35 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

P.S. to Sambazon: if you think this isn't going on in San Diego, your sunglasses are too dark. New York City hasn't got exclusive rights to people who watch other people on the sly.

I DEFINITLY used to do this when I would catch the morning bus in HS in Cleveland. it would be dark and I would try and look in windows that were lit up in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I spy all the time. Its actually kinda funny becasue my one looks into someones bathroom and I accidentally see them getting into the showere all the time. They must know becasue the bottom pane of the window is frosted.
I'm sure they know...if I were one of your neighbors across the way, and I knew sometimes you were looking out the window, I'd probably be taking showers all the time too...

I'm sure he knows, especially if his windows are frosted then he doesn't want to close them and stop the shows! Too funny.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:55 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm sure they know...if I were one of your neighbors across the way, and I knew sometimes you were looking out the window, I'd probably be taking showers all the time too...

I'm sure he knows, especially if his windows are frosted then he doesn't want to close them and stop the shows! Funny.

Did I mention I live in chelsea and at times his boyfriend showers too?

Old 11-13-2009, 08:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Did I mention I live in chelsea and at times his boyfriend showers too?
Oh, Chelsea! Hahaha! Maybe he's giving a show to your neighbors next door instead then!

Men can be such exhibitionists...lol

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 11-13-2009 at 09:11 AM..

Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,302 times
It's part of living in NYC, as someone else posted the Rear Window clip can attest to--that movie was made decades ago and people did it then. Comes with the territory.

My first apt was on E. 13th St back in '91. There wasn't much to see but I would periodically check out what was going on. One couple would deliberately position themselves directly in front of their window and get it on, obviously they were into the thrill of being seen. From the living room, if I was so inclined I could have reached into the apt. of the next building as they were so close together. Later I moved to the Upper West Side and was probably about 15 feet away from the next building. You could not help but look into the people who lived across from me. I lived there for over a decade and they were there the entire time. You almost get to know them after a while. I used to sometimes wonder if I ever saw them on the street.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:36 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
There was an article today in the NYTimes about people who spend time (even keep binoculars handy) spying on others (with or without their knoweldge). http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/garden/12voyeur.html

I found the article, or rather the people, to be really disturbing. Why would someone habitually spy on others? It is one thing to see something on occasion if your window, or view, directly faces another apt. It is another to purposely and systematically spy on others, and get some sort of "pleasure" out of spying on people. However, I avoid this problem by keeping my drapes CLOSED at night..problem solved. I am more worried about people seeing what I own in my apt than spying on me wash dishes, nonetheless, I keep my drapes closed to avoid all sorts of problems.

And if I can see into a neighbor's apt, I don't look, and I expect them to provide me the same courteousy. Not having drapes, or maybe they don't close all the way, is not an invitation to gawk, spy, or stare. Am I the only one that sees a problem with these people spying? Why is the Times trying to glorify spying as something special, artsy, or "deep."

Um..........not necessarily unless I want to stalk that person

Old 11-13-2009, 07:50 PM

213 posts, read 823,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
P.S. to Sambazon: if you think this isn't going on in San Diego, your sunglasses are too dark. New York City hasn't got exclusive rights to people who watch other people on the sly.
Oh trust me, I have first-hand experience of next door neighbors peeking, and I'm sure peeping toms are everywhere, not just exclusively in New York City. I figured it was more of a frequent occurrence over there though, with a lot of the tight-knit living spaces.

I live in a typical Southern California tract home neighborhood, and several years ago we had quite a bit of construction going on in the house as we were replacing the carpet with tile and wood flooring. My next door neighbor, whom we hardly knew, casually strolled inside our home "just to see what's going on". I have a feeling his son is a bit of a peeping tom so I always make sure to shut the blinds.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:21 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Um...No.

I think that's so weird, people do that around here (South Jamaica) and I think its rude. Sometimes I feel like yelling at them but the last time I did that security came (LOL) so I'll just close the window/screen/etc.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
When I first moved to NYC many years ago, I used to look. Before long I realized that other people's lives were just as boring as my own, so I stopped.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:25 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Some people might do this, because they think that is fun.. Others are just stalkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City