Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times

Advertisements

You want a terrace, rather than a balcony? Good luck. Not in your price range. Most rental apartments don't allow dogs, and near the Park? AND near shopping? Near the Park makes anything more expensive, as well. I also should tell you that balconies/terraces get FILTHY in the city. I don't let my dog out on my balcony (aside from it simply being too dangerous) because it's unspeakably dirty. No matter how much it's cleaned. And don't think you can barbecue on a balcony/terrace: you can't. That's illegal in NYC.

I would suggest you re-think this whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 05:02 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralove181mn View Post
I've never even been to NYC so I'm trusting everyone here to give me some good advice.
Visit before you move. Visit more than once.

To a prior poster and crime. I did say that crime was not a significant problem in most of NYC. I did not say that it was non-existent.

There are bad neighborhoods, and there is random crime in good neighborhoods. But if you stay to a reasonable neighborhood, it is really not something that you need to worry yourself about.

I have been in many other cities in the country where the crime situation was much worse.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:22 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
This poster has some sort of a pipe dream and would have no idea of what a reasonable nabe would be. There is no apartment for 1000 that would meet this criteria.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:52 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
She might be able to get a 1br in the Bronx for $1,000, probably won't have a balcony though.

Also I think you can find studios or a 1br in Southern Brooklyn for about a $1,000. Those wouldn't have balconies either.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
Note that there's also a difference between a balcony and a terrace. A balcony is usually quite small with some kind of fencing to stop you (or, heaven forbid, your dog) from taking a dive. It's not usually terribly secure, with major gaps often between the fencing and the substance of the balcony.

A terrace is usually on top of a setback of a building, meaning that it has REAL walls, that cover the entire area from the edge of the building up, with no gaps, and there's drainage provided through a drain in the terrace floor.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:13 PM

23 posts, read 87,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah I think you're going to need to visit the city before you even think about moving here. $1,000-$4,000 is a huge range. Did you mean $1,000 to $1,400?

Most apartments don't accept dogs in the first place and having a balcony is going to make the place even more expensive. Space is really tight in this area and it comes at a premium. So having something like a balcony will cost you extra money usually.
Well, I figured that it would. Like I said, I don't know what range of income me and my boyfriend will be making when we move there. It'll be a long while from now though. And we already planned on visiting a couple times before moving. I've looked up alot of places that allow dogs that are in the price ranges of 1000-2500 so I'm not too worried about getting an apartment that allows pets.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
This poster has some sort of a pipe dream and would have no idea of what a reasonable nabe would be. There is no apartment for 1000 that would meet this criteria.
Yeah....I didn't ask for an apartment that would cost 1000. You obviously didn't read what I wrote very well. I said in the ranges of 1000-4000. I know there are no apts in Manhattan that are as cheap as 1000 I was just giving a range.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You want a terrace, rather than a balcony? Good luck. Not in your price range. Most rental apartments don't allow dogs, and near the Park? AND near shopping? Near the Park makes anything more expensive, as well. I also should tell you that balconies/terraces get FILTHY in the city. I don't let my dog out on my balcony (aside from it simply being too dangerous) because it's unspeakably dirty. No matter how much it's cleaned. And don't think you can barbecue on a balcony/terrace: you can't. That's illegal in NYC.

I would suggest you re-think this whole thing.
Yeah, I want a terrace rather than a balcony. And, like I've said, I've researched apartments in my price range with terraces and that allow pets. I've also researched the costs of living in Manhattan. And I've been able to find many many places that suite my needs. So, trust me, I know what to expect. I know it won't be easy, but it's where I want to live.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:25 PM

One more thing I should say about my specifics is that I'm looking to either live by a park or have a terrace, either or. And I'm also willing to live without these ammenities. No big deal, it would just be nice if I could find something like that.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:16 AM

62 posts, read 389,783 times
Smile this is where i would like to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
Well, If you have the money I would suggest the greenwich village/chelsea area.
Crime is at a minimal there.
Areas you should avoid are pretty much around northern harlem and spanish harlem. Although, these areas are quite beautiful because you get some gorgeous views of the palisades and the hudson.

I'd like to advise you that there are areas outside of Manhattan which are also great, like Park Slope in Brooklyn:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9c/ParkSlope-street.JPG/450px-ParkSlope-street.JPG (broken link)
You'll save alot of money.

The mistake alot of people end up making is moving to Manhattan, and then realize that the cost of living is so high, so many move to Brooklyn or Queens.
Hi Eugene

Can you please tell me the location of this picture, its just the kind of place i am looking to live and do you have any idea on rents here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City