Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 17,455 times

Advertisements

As part of a project I need to ask a broad range of citizens in New York what they think of the city and what they find particularly good/bad about it. Unfortunately I need to do this by Wednesday (16th May)

Would be fantastic to hear from you - please make note that your answers cannot exceed 2/3 lines.

Thank you very much for your help and look forward to hearing from you soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 11:21 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
I have been living in this city since the late 70's. I have seen a lot of changes in the city but I want to get out.

Here are problems and pros of the city.

Problems:

-Overpopulation/Overdevelopment.
-Dirty transit system/horrible bus service.
-Very run down violent low income areas. Buildings in absolute **** condition.
-Corruption. From the NYCHA to the NYPD downgrading crime statistics. Real estate arson, BOE bumping test grades, ect.
-Expensive, still pushing the middle class out.
-Horrible schools.
-Pollution.
-Traffic/lack of parking.
-Terror risk.

Pros:

-Good transit system coverage for most of the city. Can really get around.
-Pretty safe upper income/tourist areas.
-Lots of selection/convience.
-Lots of things to do in Midtown/downtown.
-Times Square changed a lot. Although still a bit sketchy weekend nights.
-Plenty of housing and programs for the poor.
-Lots of nice high end construction in areas like the Upper East Side for the rich.

Honestly I feel as though it's just not worth living here. You can find everything here in other large cities. The only real benefit is good subway coverage. Oh and you get to choose between hundreds of clubs instead of a few hundred less. Or 10 McDonalds instead of 5.I guess if you are into theater and art you may like lots of selection but for the average person it doesn't really make a difference.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 17,455 times
hi, thank you very much for your help, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Does anyone else have similar ideas?

Old 05-15-2007, 09:03 AM

18 posts, read 179,555 times
Pros:
Incredibly diverse population.
Every kind of food your craving, from Chinese to donuts to just about anything else, you can find in a short distance walk.
No need for an automobile, which saves NYers from the rising gas prices

Cons:
COST. Everything costs more in NYC
The fast pace of everything can induce stress.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:41 PM

332 posts, read 1,119,663 times
On the pro side, NYC has everything you could ever think about wanting. No matter who you are or what you are into, there will be friends for you and places to hang out. On the con side, there is no way to live in a nice area close to any of this if you make less than $100,000/yr (and that is a very low estimate - maybe you could rent a studio). As for owning property and living the American Dream, well, if you don't mind commuting a few hours each way, then you can live on the outskirts of the outerboros. Otherwise, forget it.

Also, and I know I am over my 3-line limit, while NYC seems very diverse, in my opinion most neighborhoods are really segragated. For a real picture take a look at the schools, which are way less integrated than when I was a kid in the 70s. You can see all the diversity if you ride the subway, and in midtown and a couple of places in Brooklyn, but as you get into residential areas, everyone filters out to "their kind."

Old 05-17-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Also, and I know I am over my 3-line limit, while NYC seems very diverse, in my opinion most neighborhoods are really segragated. For a real picture take a look at the schools, which are way less integrated than when I was a kid in the 70s. You can see all the diversity if you ride the subway, and in midtown and a couple of places in Brooklyn, but as you get into residential areas, everyone filters out to "their kind."
I agree strongly. Lots of different groups, however all segregated. NYC is one of the top 10 most segregated cities in the country (usually in the top 5). All the yuppies yell "DIVERSITY" meanwhile they have no interaction with minorities unless it's low wage workers in the areas they frequent or like you said, the subway.

You can find that here:

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/resseg/ch5.html

Old 05-21-2007, 09:07 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I agree strongly. Lots of different groups, however all segregated. NYC is one of the top 10 most segregated cities in the country (usually in the top 5). All the yuppies yell "DIVERSITY" meanwhile they have no interaction with minorities unless it's low wage workers in the areas they frequent or like you said, the subway.

You can find that here:

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/housing/resseg/ch5.html
just a thought......... Using labels like "yuppies" doesn't help in your quest for ethnic diversity. All is does in perpetuate the polarization of a society.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
just a thought......... Using labels like "yuppies" doesn't help in your quest for ethnic diversity. All is does in perpetuate the polarization of a society.
Who cares about Diversity? I'm not encourageing to discourageing it. Most people just want shelter that is affordable, safe, clean, and roomy enough for them. People call NYC diverse yet everyone stick to their own kind in their own areas. That's just the way the USA is. The term melting pot may have worked back when the city was all White immigrants. However today with so many multiracial everyone sticks to their own. Nothing is wrong with that.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Who cares about Diversity? I'm not encourageing to discourageing it. Most people just want shelter that is affordable, safe, clean, and roomy enough for them. People call NYC diverse yet everyone stick to their own kind in their own areas. That's just the way the USA is. The term melting pot may have worked back when the city was all White immigrants. However today with so many multiracial everyone sticks to their own. Nothing is wrong with that.
I actually agree with Hustla on this (this might be the first and only time, lol). NYC is very segregated. The melting pot is a myth. Yeah people of different cultures and races interact moreso than in other parts of the country, but it is mostly at work/school, going to and from work/school, or doing business transactions. At the end of the day most people go home to segregated neighborhoods.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:08 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,626 times
/\ I used to think NYC was tolerant, but ever since the Guliani administration, the xenophobia regarding "gentrification/yuppies/hipsters" has me thinking otherwise. Other than that, NYC rocks.

NYC is very segregated. White neighborhoods still don't like Blacks/Latinos and vice versa. It's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City