Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:47 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,828 times

Advertisements

The south shore has a huge drug problem. Implying that what I am describing would be located near public housing is ignorant. I don't live near any housing development. I live in a white middle class neighborhood and who do you think are the ones using and abusing prescription drugs? And I have reported what I see and know to the police, but what do you really think is done? Most of the offenders have relatives in the department and are untouchable.
You think by parking in front of a school you know what kind of neighbors you have? That would be based on what? Their nationalities? In the IS schools on the south shore the kids are abusing at an alarming rate. Tottenville HS is no better than New Dorp or Port Richmond, if anything its worse. Which kind of kids pay 20 bucks a pop for Xanax? Spoiled ones with money in their pockets from nana and pop pop.
I don't owe anyone an apology. Whats going on on SI, especially the south shore needs to be known so we can save our youth. WAKE UP STATEN ISLAND
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:59 AM

And another point I would like to make: what happens on Staten Island very rarely makes the news or is included in the NY Post and Daily News. We had 7 shootings in less than two weeks here, 7!!! and 4 were homicides. How much media coverage did that get? If it were another borough it would get a lot of coverage. Our local paper The Staten Island Advance is a rag that doesn't verify what it prints. Many stories printed there are just versions of the real truth, or not true at all.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:06 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
The south shore has a huge drug problem. Implying that what I am describing would be located near public housing is ignorant. I don't live near any housing development. I live in a white middle class neighborhood and who do you think are the ones using and abusing prescription drugs? And I have reported what I see and know to the police, but what do you really think is done? Most of the offenders have relatives in the department and are untouchable.
You think by parking in front of a school you know what kind of neighbors you have? That would be based on what? Their nationalities? In the IS schools on the south shore the kids are abusing at an alarming rate. Tottenville HS is no better than New Dorp or Port Richmond, if anything its worse. Which kind of kids pay 20 bucks a pop for Xanax? Spoiled ones with money in their pockets from nana and pop pop.
I don't owe anyone an apology. Whats going on on SI, especially the south shore needs to be known so we can save our youth. WAKE UP STATEN
ISLAND
I do not want to burst your bubble, but you are encroaching in a territory that I am very familiar with, and that is Mental HEALTH, having been an Emergency Room Mental Health Clinician, for a multitude of years, in NY and NJ. And I have seen multitude of lives destroyed that could have been saved. The problem is everywhere.

Garden City, Long Island, is experiencing and epidemic right now of HEROIN, in the best of the middle- class areas. New Jersey, WHERE ONE HAS TO LEARN TO SEE THE FOREST FROM THE TREES, has the same problem in a multitude of areas. North Carolina, by IS 95, has a huge Metamphetine problem, and the same throughout the Southern States. America is being ravaged............

But let's deal with Staten Island, since that is our concern here:

What has happened is that the young people have been pushed out of the business sector, where they used to hang around, and now they are encroaching into residential areas. The CANDY MAN has discovered the potential for money of the middle-class teen. The CANDY MAN is coming right to the front door to make deliveries, and yes, the parents are BLIND to it, because many of them are denying the fact that it is happening to them.

Also, because they figure the teens are right near their homes, in the street corner parked, and are not checking on them, and because the Police have stopped patrolling residential areas, since 9/11.

The teens feel that if they are in front of a house, and the Police happens to pass by and ask them where they live, they just point to the house near to them, and get away with it. Before, when they were hanging out by the the Business sector, it was much harder to get away with the Drug Scene. What is the answer? I do not know.

You go figure, that living on SI, with a huge multitude of detectives everywhere, that it would be easier to stop the problem. Hard to tell what is allowing it to continue...............

I realize your concern, because you probably left Queens, to give your children a better life. But drugs, and gangs, are ravaging this country, and I see them more of a threat to NY, than Terrorism. However, that said, I was reacting to the way you portray the people of Staten Island, because that includes ME.

I think that if you wanted to bring the issue to the forefront, you do not attack the residents by calling them names, that are not true. Yes, there are people like you describe here, but, you find that EVERYWHERE.

Staten Island has lots of people with money, and yes, many could be bigots, but not everyone..........and those who are bigots, are like that because they feel threatened, that someone might take their little paradise away.

Brooklyn used to be a wonderful place to live, until the wrong people started coming in, and ruined it. The same thing happened to Queens, which many years' ago, was the place to live. Staten Island has lots of good families that came here for the same reason you did, in the first place, to give their children the best of everything.

But, you are correct: There is not enough representation and exposure from the local newspaper, and the Police may not be doing enough to patrol the residential areas, and the forums they have on www.SILive.com, are all over the place, with too many choices and areas spread out. The website needs an OVERHAUL.

May I make a suggestion? How about volunteering yourself in the local Police Department, or how about becoming involved in local politics? I am sure our present Borough President, would be more than happy.

One has to start change, in order for change to take place...............it does not start by attacking your neighbors....................Good-luck!!!!!!!

Old 11-26-2009, 04:41 AM

Rubies, I agree with much of your post. However, that being said I still am very discusted on what is going on on our island. I'm here 19 years. I o ly see things getting worse. For one thing, our youth are absingnprescription drugs at an alarming rate. Many parents are not aware, they jus know something is wrong with their kid. Then there are parents who certainly do know. But when a teenager is abusing any drug it is very very difficult. And once they turn 18 a parent has no legal right. However many of the parents also abuse. Drugs of choice are weed and prescription drugs. It's not just the kids using.
The DA here let's many things here go for a higher conviction rate. Sure, that kid blew a 0, but no one is checking is urine and he gets away with it. Till one time that he kills or seriously injures someone else.
Many kids have fathers mothers sisters brothers uncle aunts etc on the job so whe. They get caught, they get let go with a warning. Our borough has more city workers than any other. Their kids are caught up in it too.
When you read in the advance about some guy robbing a GPS or breaking into a home you must read between the lines. He needs money for some percocet. Little Danny is now 35 and still lives in mommy and daddy's basement. Why would that be?!? Unfortunately this is common here on SI. It's actually has become the norm.
Ever go to the Eltingville or Annadale train stations ESP on a Fri or Sat night? How about the Atrium? Take a good look at the people there. I was at the DD by the atrium a few weeks ago and 3 young white males were surrounding my car pulling on the handles cause they saw my GPS when I drove in the lot they didn't move as I approached the car and I got so nervous I jumped in the car and spilled coffee all over me. Ouch. I know, I shouldn't of had the gps in view when I drove in the lot. This happened at 330 in the afternoon.
Because of my occupation, my husbands and my sisters we are aware of the going ons here. Also know a lot about our community. Confirmed things, not rumors. I do what I can to bring awareness to this problem. But I am one person. Our borough president is useless in my opinion. He also turns a blind eye and keeps things hush hush. Did it with his grandson for years. That is THE problem!!!
And one more thing, I never encounted people like I have met with here anywhere else. Sure not every person talks with marbles in their mouth. I don't!! But a good majority do. A good majority of people out here are the way I describe. Some don't.
Just to get it out there, yes LI has a huge drug problem too, ESP heroin. But here on SI people crush it and smoke it in their weed. E is abused here as well.
I just am tiredof living Round known users and abusers. If there are families out there that don't then I would like to live around them!
Where art thou?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City