Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,045 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we're looking to move to Brooklyn in the next few months and i'd be working near Penn Station for about $90-100k. I would be living with my fiance who would probably make about $60-70k. Ideally we'd love to live off of my salary and save his income. also, ideally (haha) we'd love a 2 br or 1br w/office and a workable kitchen (meaning nice appliances, 5-10ft combined counter space, etc) because he loves to cook.

we love the safe, boho neighborhoods with tree-lined streets and brownstones with local grocery stores, cafes, and jambase-like clubs, and nearby parks.

is this too much to ask for? we've been looking into Williamsburg/park slope/brooklyn heights; do these neighborhoods fit the bill, or should we be looking elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM

155 posts, read 443,694 times
I think you would be fine on that salary. My girlfriend and I live in Carroll Gardens 3 blocks from a nice park and 4 from the subway, 15 minutes from Brooklyn Heights, 30 from the Brooklyn Bridge, pay $1700 for a 1 br, and make about $80-85k between us and we're not living extravagantly, but we're not hurting at all either. Those neighborhoods are right up your alley. You could afford a 2br, but you'd obviously have to cut back on a few luxuries, nights out, nice dinners, whatever, but you wouldn't be strapped even with a 2br. It also depends on the section of the neighborhood, obviously a place right next to Prospect Park or overlooking the promenade in the Heights is going to run you much higher. I would also look at Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, and Boerum Hill. They're very similar to Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope, just slightly younger and slightly cheaper, but with all the amenities and brownstones. You could probably find a very reasonable 2 br in one of these places, definitely moreso than Park Slope, and there isn't a HUGE difference between those 3 neighborhoods and Park Slope aside from Prospect Park. Just my 2 cents, someone else might have a different opinion.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:03 PM

39 posts, read 236,229 times
You didn't state how much rent you would be willing to pay, but I would definitely look into Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights. In my opinion, Williamsburg rents are not worth the quality of housing you will be getting, and is lacking the tree-lined/brownstone vibe. Be sure to look into what train lines are near your apt. as well. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 PM

961 posts, read 2,456,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicYouth View Post
I think you would be fine on that salary. My girlfriend and I live in Carroll Gardens 3 blocks from a nice park and 4 from the subway, 15 minutes from Brooklyn Heights, 30 from the Brooklyn Bridge, pay $1700 for a 1 br, and make about $80-85k between us and we're not living extravagantly, but we're not hurting at all either. Those neighborhoods are right up your alley. You could afford a 2br, but you'd obviously have to cut back on a few luxuries, nights out, nice dinners, whatever, but you wouldn't be strapped even with a 2br. It also depends on the section of the neighborhood, obviously a place right next to Prospect Park or overlooking the promenade in the Heights is going to run you much higher. I would also look at Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, and Boerum Hill. They're very similar to Brooklyn Heights and Park Slope, just slightly younger and slightly cheaper, but with all the amenities and brownstones. You could probably find a very reasonable 2 br in one of these places, definitely moreso than Park Slope, and there isn't a HUGE difference between those 3 neighborhoods and Park Slope aside from Prospect Park. Just my 2 cents, someone else might have a different opinion.
Interesting, I had no idea anyone could still make it on that income in carroll gardens, did you have to jump through any hoops, like have a strong credit rating or pay a large fee up front? BTW, how long have you been in the city? I'm curious because I'm going to be making that move back up there in a few months

Old 11-23-2009, 05:27 PM

155 posts, read 443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Interesting, I had no idea anyone could still make it on that income in carroll gardens, did you have to jump through any hoops, like have a strong credit rating or pay a large fee up front? BTW, how long have you been in the city? I'm curious because I'm going to be making that move back up there in a few months
Not really any hoops, but we do have strong credit, and before we moved we had 6 months of rent saved, so we were able to offer it up front, which was enticing enough to the landlord that he offered us a six month lease. I guess it's kind of an unorthodox situation, and we haven't had to actually start paying rent yet, but we've got everything budgeted and we will be fine once that day comes. We've been here for about 3 months now...I think you can find some really good deals in Carroll Gardens, especially if you live closer to the BQE, near Red Hook. We saw a 1br for $1,500 over that way. The landlord just wanted to be sure that we'd be making 70k between us, and we've been able to surpass that, fortunately. Like I said, we're not living the high life...we have take out night once a week, for instance, and that's it. Aside from that it's like grilled cheese and noodles. We're not strapped by any means, though. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 11,045 times
Thanks guys, that helps alot for confirmation of a few other neighborhoods too... I didn't say what i'd be looking to pay in rent because I know what i CAN afford, but what i pay in rent now ($1,200 in CT with $110k combined income) doesn't include much of a life (I moved to CT not realizing how vanilla life is here, thus, the move to nyc/brooklyn). i'm figuring anywhere ~1800. we do like to go out to dinner, socializing at cafe+clubs, being in parks, visiting museams + gallaries. so... what's the breakdown for a late 20s/early 30s couple w/o kids who live a social and adventurous life? and more than just price, any neighborhoods that are great to meet other young couples w/o kids?

also, for commute, are there trains that i should target to get a straight shot into Penn station for work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: