Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 06:46 PM

227 posts, read 821,445 times

Advertisements

I am actually in NYC, but kept my home telephone number. I've applied to a few jobs (mostly looking for temp work), but am not hearing anything back. Should I get a NYC telephone number to make it more clear I am actually here (I have an NYC address)? These are jobs I would say I am actually overqualified for. Or maybe I just need to give it time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 07:03 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
I kept my 440 phone number and I was able to get a great internship with it. I also heard back from a few additional places. I think its more about the address since people come from all over and might not want to change their number.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:21 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
No, your phone number is not holding you back. You're local and having your address on apps & your resume proves that. I kept my 214 (Dallas) number the entire time I lived in New York. No big deal.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:06 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Same here, I still use my 412 from Pittsburgh and i lived in NYC for 10 years now.

NY is one of these most transient cities you'll ever live in and with Domestic Long Distance the "New" Local calling...Alot of people live in NY and kept their hometown area codes on their cells. HR depts probably dont even think twice as long as you have a NY-NJ-PA-CT address on the resume to show you live in a commutable distance.

Needing a NYC area code is Old Fashion...People have Cell Phone numbers from all over the US in my work office; There are people who have West Coast Area Codes for their NY Work Blackberries.

Our Employer tells us to pick an area code when assigning us a blackberry..(They do this because not everyone lives in NYC - we have people who commute as far away as PA and upstate CT) and Transplants from other parts of the US come to work here with most of their Friends and Family left behind, so they take advanatage of keeping their hometown area code.

I remember one time at lunch I asked a new Co-worker what his blackberry number was because I didnt have it listed, and when he spouted off 707-xxx-xxxx I was like "where is 707 from" is said its NorCal/ SF suburbs Area code and i was like "Ok so how you like them Yanks"...

Short Story - Nobody Care, including HR departments, its not like their desk phones dont include basic domestic long distance.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:18 PM

38 posts, read 342,915 times
i used my Fla number and got a job just fine - twice.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:33 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
i think it depends on when you got you job...nowadays i'd say yeah, you need a nyc phone number. a few years ago it probably didn't matter. now, given the lack of a job market and the fact that the job market in nyc is extra stingy when it comes to hiring, yeah, you should have a nyc number.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
The temp market is really, REALLY bad right now. I've temped for 10 years and have never seen it like this. It's the market, not the phone number.

By the way, many if not most New Yorkers are overqualified for their jobs. Some people will take any job just to be able to work in Manhattan. I know a secretary who graduated with honors from Vassar. In any other city she could easily get a much better job with that degree.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:10 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,972,223 times
I've hired three people since I moved here in May and will be hiring 4 more in the next month or so and I can honestly say that "phone number area code" might be the last qualification I'll be looking for when I look at candidates. Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City