Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 13,662 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Im moving in January to NYC as a postdoc, and I had been offered a studio in 390 Ft Washington Ave, between 177th street and 178th street on Ft Washington Ave. I would like to know whether this area is safe or not. Also, I will be working in the Presbyterian Hospital, so I also wabt to know abut the safety of the way to work.

thanks a lot!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 07:44 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
How safe it is depends on what you compare it to.... and what hours you are going to be doing your walking to work.

It's not the safest area in Manhattan (meaning I know of quite a few people who got mugged closer to the hospital at late hours on their ways home)... but that being said: if you are a bit street smart, you can probably stay out of trouble easily.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:04 AM

2 posts, read 13,662 times
Thanks for your reply!

Well, I will be wotking in a lab in the College os Surgeons in Columbia University, which is also located in that area. I guess I will go at 8:00 in the morning, and coming back no later than 9pm. But I would like also to go to downtown with the subway and maybe come back late at night.

What is the meaning of being "street smart"? It does not sound so nice when you say that one can "probably" stay out of problem.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:35 AM

283 posts, read 521,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javiersancho View Post
Thanks for your reply!

Well, I will be wotking in a lab in the College os Surgeons in Columbia University, which is also located in that area. I guess I will go at 8:00 in the morning, and coming back no later than 9pm. But I would like also to go to downtown with the subway and maybe come back late at night.

What is the meaning of being "street smart"? It does not sound so nice when you say that one can "probably" stay out of problem.
Look pal you're gonna be in Upper Manhattan. Most of it is the hood. Being street smart just means being cautious & looking out for yourself (yet at the same time not being paranoid and thinking you're in a warzone with a target on your back).

Old 11-27-2009, 07:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Fort Washington Avenue isn't bad. And as far as safety on the way to work...the hospital is only ten blocks away. It's only one stop on the A train, or if you go one block over to Broadway, there are three different bus routes (M5, M100, Bx7) that'll take you down to the hospital. You could even walk!

Years ago, I had the chance to take an apartment on Fort Washington. Not that I regret the decision to stay in my home borough of Brooklyn, but I've always felt that I'd have made just as good a decision if I'd moved to that part of Manhattan.

You don't always have to listen to people who automatically tell you that some street is "bad."

Old 11-27-2009, 08:32 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
That's right by the GWB terminal, it's safe.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Fort Wash is nice. Near parkland, lots of older folks and doctor's offices. Trust me you could do much worse in Upper Manhattan.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:09 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
You'll be fine.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,842 times
Default I am moving as well in 390 Ft Washington Ave :)

I am moving on December first to NYC from California to be a Research Scientist at Columbia University as well, and I won the lottery for housing 390 Ft Washington Ave just like you

On the beginning I had some concerning thinking about this location to start my new life in Manhattan . Since I am a girl and I will be working in a lab until late a night sometime, and just like you I would also like to go to downtown with the subway and maybe come back late at night during the weekend, it is very important for me to feel safe where I live.

So I guess we could go out together sometimes to be "street smart"

Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
The original poster only posted once in 2009.

The area is pretty safe. You have the A train like a couple of yards away. You also have the M4 (ft washington) and M5 (broadway) bus. The M4 bus stops at Columbia University and it also stops right infront of your apt. You have a lot of restaurants, grocery stores, and supermarkets on Broadway. If you're a pretty girl expect to be catcalled a lot.

I live 1 block away. no parlo italiano!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City