Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:28 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,882,221 times

Advertisements

Can we please get the thread back on topic? Thank you.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:02 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,882,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I have to really stop ya in ya tracks because it got out of hand. lol

The question is NEW YORK OR NOT manhattan is new york isnt it. BRONX BROOKLYN AND QUEENS have better transportation, more ammenities and more things to do than some CITIES lol. So what are ya really getting at. All three have more going for it than jersey city

Also stop saying jersey city is closer when you can literally walk to manhattan from brooklyn and the bronx. Even if you take transportation, nyc transit makes the city more integrated. Unlike jersey city, i can get home whether its 3pm or 3am

So sont listen to these people
All I was saying is that if someone wants to exchange a bit longer commute to their job in manhattan for saving a bit in housing costs, they should consider their options in all directions. Everything you are saying about "transportation, amenities and what a place has 'going on' in it" is subsumed in the commute-price-quality of life examination that someone moving here should do. With that said, I do agree with you that there are differences depending on which direction away from the central business districts one heads in, but I guess we disagree in that I see more similarities than differences.

I guess I'm lucky in that the only really stiff "NJ is basically a different planet than nyc" snobbery I've ever gotten in real life has been from folks who live in manhattan and are recent transplants. I've never noticed it much from natives, like yourself.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 PM

111 posts, read 391,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamarie49 View Post
[tinamarie49]I want to move back up north, I've been living in Florida for 20 years and I hate it. Im just waiting for my son to graduate high school and then Im moving back. How is Jersey City? I really want to move back to Manhattan, hopefully the village, anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking. I can afford about $2000 a month rent. Help!
tinamarie49,

Well, I think you really need to come and see for yourself. Each area has something different to offer. It is hard to beat the Village for things to do, restaurants, etc. However, you will not be able to take advantage of those things if you have to stretch yourself to thin to pay rent.

Jersey City is a nice area. Much slower and quieter. There are some shady spots. Doesn't have nearly the same vibe as being in Manhattan. However, it is a very easy commute into Manhattan. Rent is definitely cheaper so you might have more money to spend. I would also suggest visiting Hoboken. A little bit more activity than Jersey City and still an easy commute into Manhattan. Also, if you decide that you want to be in Manhattan then I suggest casting a wider net than just the Village. Check out the UWS and UES. Prices tend to be a little lower there as well.

Finally, if you decide the cost isn't worth living in Manhattan and Jersey City is the best place for you I wouldn't put to much emphasis on the fact that it is not a borough of NYC or that you can't walk into Manhattan. It really doesn't matter. In short, you need to take some time to visit and decide what is better for your lifestyle, financial situation, etc. Best of luck on your search and congrats on the move.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:48 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,252,147 times
Quote:
Alot of nothing really. Philly is different from jersey, baltimore different than DC. NYC different than westchester county. Which is closer to nyc than jersey as you dont have to cross water. New york is new york period, i admit there is a similar kind of northeastern vibe shared through out all its states. But nyc has a different vibe ,feel, attitude and culture from jersey.

Judging from your post u sound like a transplant. New york city is where i live, born and raised not some fantasy island where people worry about how fast or slow it is to get to another borough, to get brownie points.
The reason I butt heads with you is that you place much stock in a "name" of a place. Sheepshead Bay is a different vibe than Manhattan right? But to you, it's all NY, so it doesn't matter.

You don't have to worry about me being a transplant. I was born in NYC, and primarily raised in Cranford, NJ.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:20 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,074,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
The reason I butt heads with you is that you place much stock in a "name" of a place. Sheepshead Bay is a different vibe than Manhattan right? But to you, it's all NY, so it doesn't matter.

You don't have to worry about me being a transplant. I was born in NYC, and primarily raised in Cranford, NJ.
Not really it is what it is. Jersey has got to have one of the worst inferioty complexs in america. I say new york and new jersey is different(which it is) and thats considered snobbery? lol. Its not about name. Jersey has a different feel and vibe from new york, period. The sheepshead bay thing doesnt make sense. You tell me lol, is sheepheadsbay in brooklyn right

Old 12-04-2009, 01:26 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,252,147 times
Quote:
Not really it is what it is. Jersey has got to have one of the worst inferioty complexs in america. I say new york and new jersey is different(which it is) and thats considered snobbery? lol. Its not about name. Jersey has a different feel and vibe from new york, period. The sheepshead bay thing doesnt make sense. You tell me lol, is sheepheadsbay in brooklyn right
Want to know why? Because NY's problems (and there are plenty of problems) are overlooked by the broader, national public. NJ's problems are not only scrutinized and mocked, but broadcasted on national television and poked fun at in movied and pop culture...BECAUSE it sits next to NYC.

People fly into Newark Airport from all over the world. Then they take car service east on I-78/Turnpike, through the ONE main industrial part of NJ. That's all these people see of NJ, and so that is their impression. Factor into the equation that NYC is one of the world's most visited cities...that's a lot of gloomy impressions that NJ has made, no?

The people of NJ find themselves doing a lot of explaining, mostly when they travel. I travel a lot for work and pleasure. When I say I am from NJ, I am met with "Oh, but you don't talk like you're from NJ" (yes, we tend to talk pretty normal in NJ...not like Sopranos). "NJ? I was driving on the Turnpike there....what a stench!". Or I'll get a scrunched-up face and somebody will say "Joooiiisey. You're from Joisey?" (whereupon I say...no, I'm from New Jersey....NYers call it New Joisey for some silly reason). So...it gets a little tiring.

So -- it's not an inferiority complex...it's a natural, built-in defensive mechanism that all residents of NJ develop in 5-10 years of living in NJ. Because most people know nothing about NJ except what they see on TV, or what they see on the Turnpike while traveling to NYC.

It's very much like an identity crisis. In NJ we grow up going into the city for pleasure (and later on in life for work), we watch NY network news, listen to NY radio stations, root for the Yankees and Mets, etc...but to many people outside of NJ, they believe that it's not OUR city (because it's in a different state). But we are a suburb of NYC, just like Westchester, Long Island, etc. This is why I get on your case about the state lines. And this is why I sometimes say that Jersey City has a Brooklyn vibe...because it's a place & vibe that is well-known, so people can relate to and compare it to.

There are 8,000 square miles of beauty in NJ (suburban beauty, urban beauty, coastal beauty, and rural beauty), and most people know NOTHING about it.

That's why we get defensive.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:01 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,074,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
1.Because NY's problems (and there are plenty of problems) are overlooked by the broader, national public. .

2.The people of NJ find themselves doing a lot of explaining, mostly when they travel. I travel a lot for work and pleasure. When I say I am from NJ, I am met with "Oh, but you don't talk like you're from NJ" .

3.It's very much like an identity crisis. In NJ we grow up going into the city for pleasure (and later on in life for work), we watch NY network news, listen to NY radio stations, root for the Yankees and Mets, etc...but to many people outside of NJ, they believe that it's not OUR city (because it's in a different state). But we are a suburb of NYC, just like Westchester, Long Island, etc. This is why I get on your case about the state lines.

4. And this is why I sometimes say that Jersey City has a Brooklyn vibe...because it's a place & vibe that is well-known, so people can relate to and compare it to.

That's why we get defensive.
1. You gotta be kidding. NYC problems are always put on front street. Maybe more than any other city in the country

2. New yorkers and other people from the northeast most likely get that aswell. Nothing special

3. Technically jersey city is "YOUR" city. Those people are absolutely right. Completely different state, its entertaining how something so apparent seems to go under your radar

4. JC has a jC vibe, be ya own city. Y would you want it to be like brooklyn

Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,882,221 times
Thread locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City