Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 PM

13 posts, read 86,267 times

Advertisements

Thank you for answering my question. She said she was going to call me today and let me know, but I haven't heard anything. She hasn't mention that I will get a letter in the mail, even if it's good news.so let's see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Sorry to tell you, that answer's never the same for everyone. As I understand it, legally you are entitled to see the apartment in-person, and mentally speaking you can certainly regard that as a strong early hint of acceptance before true acceptance. The liaison will arrange for that in-person showing. They like to give the acceptance letter to you in person. The liaison is the person who hands you the acceptance letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 01:04 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSLINDA12 View Post
Thank you for answering my question. She said she was going to call me today and let me know, but I haven't heard anything. She hasn't mention that I will get a letter in the mail, even if it's good news.so let's see what happens.
The "by mail" stuff tends to come early in the process. After you meet with the people at the screening office (which can be far away from the actual building), the "by mail" stuff diminishes by alot and the "in-person" stuff increases. I got my acceptance letter handed to me in-person, after I viewed the apartment. The viewing is like 30 seconds because they haven't got all day. If you received a floor plan from the screening office, that's a good "sign" but bottom line: The acceptance letter saying congratulations and your deposit will be $xxx.xx due no later than mm/dd/yr is what you're ultimately aiming for. As far as I know, they don't like to mail that. When you're handed the letter, follow the instructions to the t.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
The "by mail" stuff tends to come early in the process. After you meet with the people at the screening office (which can be far away from the actual building), the "by mail" stuff diminishes by alot and the "in-person" stuff increases. I got my acceptance letter handed to me in-person, after I viewed the apartment. The viewing is like 30 seconds because they haven't got all day. If you received a floor plan from the screening office, that's a good "sign" but bottom line: The acceptance letter saying congratulations and your deposit will be $xxx.xx due no later than mm/dd/yr is what you're ultimately aiming for. As far as I know, they don't like to mail that. When you're handed the letter, follow the instructions to the t.
Thank you sooo much, that helps alot!!!The interview was in the actual building I was applying for. I have not received a floor plan. I do hope I get that letter, it will mean so much to me and my family. My interview was 11/3 of last year, and I received a letter stating they wanted more updated info, and they sent the employment verification to my job, so things are moving.....

Thanks again!!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM

so, i just called the lady and she said she received my employment verification and she was going to send it to the city for approval... (my HR dept was slow. they had the form since last week, but being the holidays....)so now i just wait for a phone call she says. This is so nerve recking. Not knowing, you know.... I wish this process was faster

Old 01-05-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
so, i just called the lady and she said she received my employment verification and she was going to send it to the city for approval... (my HR dept was slow. they had the form since last week, but being the holidays....)so now i just wait for a phone call she says. This is so nerve recking. Not knowing, you know.... I wish this process was faster
Sounds good. Trust me, I know about it being nerve racking.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Sounds good. Trust me, I know about it being nerve racking.
Thanks for reading my posts. I feel like I have a friend on here.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for reading my posts. I feel like I have a friend on here.
You're welcome. If it's meant to be, it will happen

Old 01-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
You're welcome. If it's meant to be, it will happen
That's what I say!!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 PM

9 posts, read 27,024 times
You got lucky i have to say, i applied for housing 4yrs ago and just got called for my interview in JUlY 2010 for a 2 bedroom apt, I waited from july until now january to finally get a lising of projects that i can choose. I chose marlboro, they informed me that now we have to pass the background check and then they sent your app to your development choice, depending on what development you choose and what apt size you need, you night be waiting anywhere from 3 months to a years before getting in your development. Everything is a process, the background check takes 2 to 4 months..

Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 10,060 times
I've been trying 2 get these lottery apt's too and it's bothering. I got called back for two interviews, I was over the guidelines for my family size, okay understandable. I have a male pre teen child I think that should be put into consideration. The last one I was told the only way they would approve it is if I was pregnant. That's the only way I can add to my household from what was put on the original application. I really do wonder who decides the guideline for real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery