Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:38 AM

34 posts, read 126,235 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I thought about making a reservation with a spirit line cruise or the new ship Bateaux, but not sure it's our 'scene.' The Bateaux seems like its catered to the older individual (we're 23) who likes jazz, wine, and formal attire. I'm sure she would like that, but not sure she would have the greatest time there.

Thought about a helicopter ride, but that is just outright too expensive for 15 minutes. I suppose my budget for the night is around $300.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF830 View Post
Hello all,

I thought about making a reservation with a spirit line cruise or the new ship Bateaux, but not sure it's our 'scene.' The Bateaux seems like its catered to the older individual (we're 23) who likes jazz, wine, and formal attire. I'm sure she would like that, but not sure she would have the greatest time there.

Thought about a helicopter ride, but that is just outright too expensive for 15 minutes. I suppose my budget for the night is around $300.

Thanks.
Flute Midtown. Champagne bar. Get a private room/booth with a curtain. Thank me later

Old 11-30-2009, 01:05 PM

Seem's very nice. I still have to find a dinner place.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM

Anyone know any unique restaurants in NYC?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Can you be more specific? Are you looking for hip and trendy? Romantic? Formal/white-tablecloth?

How dressy? Do you want to wear a suit?

Type of cuisine?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:34 AM

Sure, to be more specific, I'm not looking to wear a suit or anything formal like that. I don't mind wearing a sports coat or dressy blazer as if I were going out to a club.

I'm open for something hip or romantic. If it's hip, I'll take her to the champagne bar suggested above (Flute) after dinner--seems very romantic. If it's romantic, I'll follow through the night that way. I'm just looking for ideas.

Cuisine: She isn't a big fan of seafood or anything exotic like Indian/Mediterranean; Italian, steakhouse, or Chinese is a safe bet.

Some possible ideas so far:
-The View (Marriot Marquis) -- skyline view of NYC at night looks super romantic, but VERY pricey and it seems people have said its not really worth the price.
-Ice skating @ Rockafeller
-Desert/Champagne @ Flute

I'm open to change these things so long as it fits under $300. I was going to do a dinner cruise like spirit or the new glass ship they have, but not sure if that's our crowd.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:06 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
FYI, Flute Midtown for after-dinner champagne is both romantic AND hip (it used to be a speakeasy, so it has a mystique and a cool ambience).

For dinner nearby the area, try Il Corso, it's an Italian place. OR, any of the steakhouses nearby (Morton's, The Palm, Ruth's Chris). Ruth's Chris in Midtown usually has nice live piano music...definitely romantic.

Midtown is kind of bland/sterile, but if I were you I'd dine in the area specifically to do after-dinner drinks at Flute Midtown (but you HAVE to reserve a private nook ahead of time).

Old 12-02-2009, 08:15 AM

203 posts, read 664,799 times
Asiate on like the 40th floor of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel has a nice view as well if thats what you were looking for. I think there's another restaurant/bar in the hotel.

Other romantic restaurants you can check out, maybe Water's Edge in Queens, there's a free ferry that takes you there.
Also River Cafe...nice view there as well and waterfront dining

Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 AM

The Asiate looks nice as well. Feel like it's a toss up between The View and The Asiate. Both seem beautiful and super pricey, hah... Those are some good suggestions btw, thank you.

Please feel free to add more ideas!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 AM

Is there anyway to find out how expensive these places are? I read reviews and they all say "expensive" and some say around $40/plate (I assume for lunch) and others say over $50/plate, but how much over $50 am I talking? There's a big difference between $50/plate & $75-80/plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City