Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 07:15 PM

18 posts, read 49,687 times

Advertisements

Im from Phoenix and its really cool, but I'v lived in NYC and its also really cool, im coming down to a dead line on where I should move, yes I have friends in Phoenix and im scared it can be hard again to make friends in NYC with all the culture differences I'v experienced last time I lived in Manhattan. I really do love the city but I love Phoenix too without the freezing weather, but I miss the public transportation 24/7 in New York, i could go anywhere, and everywhere without paying insurance on a car. I just don't know what will be more practicle for me. I know NYC is expenisive, but i also know its still liviable, I would be roomating if i move back which would be fine, but it would also be cool to have my own appartment which is more possible in Phoenix, cause the cheaper rent. There is public transportation there too, but not 24 hours a day like new york and I dont have plans on buying a car, I dont want to pay insurance. I also am young, 20, and want to move where I can go to a good school and get my life going really good and exciting. Don't tell me I cant make it in New York, because I already had, I just missed my family so I came back to Texas for awhile , but I am ready to move on and start myt own life, just where? Phoenix or NYC? I love both cities, just can't make a desicion, help!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 AM

242 posts, read 1,018,493 times
How much cash do you have on hand now? Are you only considering living in Manhattan or are you talking about the greater NYC area? Will you be working and going to school? What is your source of income and how much? NYC is a tough place to 'get your life going'. It is a shame but unless you are stable financially, enjoying NYC is very difficult.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:06 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
It does not sound like you have spent enough time in NY to know what your life will truly be like. The "make it there thing" is really funny. You have to live anywhere for more than a year to know if you can make it in a particular place. The main thing is to focus on your education. If you can continue to do that in NY you should be o.k. but roommates and urban realities and $$ may throw you way off track. If you don't plan to go to school think seriously about a career path as NY is not a place to just hang out and slack.

Look at all your options. I worked low wage jobs in my youth in NY and survived on my own. Think twice. You will have to become more money focused fairly quick. If things don't work out and you have no safety net(you can't move back home or in with friends) this is more of a risk. I've been there myself and the more options you have right now the less risky it would be to try NY again.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:39 PM

18 posts, read 49,687 times
Thanks for your opinons, very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: