Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times

Advertisements

curious, I have a Fordham Alumni card because i went to the Social Work school at Lincoln Center. Am I permitted on campus if i show that card and can i take a bike on campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 02:39 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
The area has its problems but the particular areas near the campus tend to be safer although not without problems. The campus itself seems very safe, and from what I've heard is very safe.

The kids seem to manage. I know many eventually turn to off campus housing to save money and that is where some problems start to pop up. There was a rash of muggins of students who lived nearby off campus about a few months ago like SuperMario mentioned and it was even on BX12 news and New York 1.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 12-05-2009 at 02:57 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 02:02 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Well if I go there and I'll just make sure to always walk around with people or take the van shuttle thing at night. And when I decide to move off campus I'd rather spend a little more on rent and live in a nicer neighborhood than have a higher risk of being a crime victim. The little bit of extra money in the long run is not worth my life.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:24 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Every day I sit in class daydreaming about going to Fordham. Haha. I really hope I can get in and I think I might have convinced my mom a little bit more by showing her facts about Pelhman Parkway and showing her many different Google Streetviews of the neighborhood. I was not going to mention that the other direction from campus contains some of the worst areas in the entire city though.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:31 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Yes, be sure to stay to the east of the Grand Concourse, and you will avoid some of the higher crime areas. For the preliminary visit, though, Metro North is the way to go, both for speed, and for route. It's not to say there's no crime, as you know from your research thus far, but the likelihood of an issue in Pelham Parkway, on campus, or along Arthur Avenue, is diminished.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-06-2009, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,372 times
Last year I was strongly considering attending Graduate school for a Master's degree in Economics. Last June a couple of friends and I made a trip from Louisville, KY to New York City, and while there we rode the subway up to the Bronx so that I could take a look at the Rose Hill campus.

As was previously stated, once you leave Manhattan the subway stations start to look a little sketchy, but there was nothing alarming. We got off the train somewhere near the Grand Concourse and Fordham Rd., and we walked eastward toward the Campus. I imagine the area that we were in is one of the better areas of the Bronx, but I honestly have no clue whether or not that is accurate. There were a lot of shops along Fordham Road and it just seemed like a busy city street.

The day we were there, there was some sort of religious rally going on (it seemed to be a nation of islam rally), and it was very intense. There was a stage with a man preaching over a PA system, and a number of very militant looking young men approaching passers-by to hand out informative brochures and spread their message. I don't know what that message was as the three of us were not approached and were generally ignored altogether.

We actually walked around the perimeter of the campus, by the new york botanical gardens and entered from the north. The campus was absolutely beautiful. This was during the summer, so there weren't many students on campus and it was very quiet and peaceful. The architecture was very interesting, very gothic themed if I remember correctly, and there were tons of beautiful trees and flowers and a large lawn in the middle of a few of the large buildings on campus.

When we left the campus we retraced our steps back to the subway station. On the way back, the rally was still going on, and this time we walked back on the opposite side of the street. The second time through, we were not ignored. In fact, the moderator of the event called my friend the "White Jesus" and made a few references to my heavily tatooed friend as well, labeling him a sinner. This is when I started to feel a little uncomfortable, however, we quickly passed that area with no real problem.

Further down the road on the way to the Grand Concourse, we stopped in a shoe store as one of my friends was looking for a particular sneaker that he had not been able to find up to that point in Manhattan. Once inside we went to the lower level where there was a group of 3 associates standing in a circle talking to one another. We stood around looking for a few minutes, and when my friend found the pair of shoes he was looking for, he approached the men for assistance. As he asked them for help, two of the men walked to the back room, and the other stood there silently. My friend asked again for some assistance, and the young man replied, 'What do you want?" We were clearly not wanted in the store. The young man did assist my friend however and we left the store with no real issues.

At that point, we started heading back to the subway station. As we walked down Fordham Rd. there were a number of people on the curb selling things, and one man in particular, with a group of acquaintances, was performing some kind of magic trick/card trick. He attempted to grab our attention, but we kept walking. A man that seemed to be associated with the group stepped in front of one of my friends, somewhat threateningly got in his face, and said something inaudible/incomprehensible. My friend side-stepped him and we kept walking to the station.

There were no other issues and we made it back into Manhattan safe and sound.

I really have no basis by which to judge my experience as it relates to the average every day experience in this area of the Bronx. I don't know if this is a typically "good" neighborhood or not. I will say that these occurrences did make my friends and I feel somewhat unwelcome and uncomfortable as a result. This may be because we are from the suburbs of a relatively small city and are therefore not as comfortable as we would like to think we are in the big city. Or it could be that we had every right to feel the way we did. I'd say that its definitely a mixture of both.

I will say that this experience would not have kept me from attending Fordham if that was the school that I had chosen to attend (I actually decided not to attend graduate school at this point, but rather to gain work experience before getting a graduate degree). The area did not seem all that dangerous, and as I said before, the campus was very nice and pleasant. However, as a group of young white males, we did not seem to be the preferred demographic by the select few people that we encountered that day.

I apologize for the length of this response, but I just thought this seemed like the perfect thread in which to share my experience. I hope you are able to attend Fordham. Good Luck!

Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default well

you were in far from the nicest part of the bronx when you got off the train but definitely the busiest part. I get my car serviced on Fordham rd near the Univ and i feel totally safe on that strip east of 3rd. There's a cool diner called Pete's where i go for breakfast while the car is being worked on and the food is great

the part near the Botanical gardens is nice--i always bypass the urban glut of Webster and Fordham rd by taking Mosholu Pkwy to kazimiroff Blvd into Fordham rd.

you're on safe ground from 185th to Fordham rd between S Blvd and 3rd but once on the other side of Webster, it's rough. it doesn't get better until you pass 198th street

Old 12-06-2009, 06:59 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grieves86 View Post
Last year I was strongly considering attending Graduate school for a Master's degree in Economics. Last June a couple of friends and I made a trip from Louisville, KY to New York City, and while there we rode the subway up to the Bronx so that I could take a look at the Rose Hill campus.

As was previously stated, once you leave Manhattan the subway stations start to look a little sketchy, but there was nothing alarming. We got off the train somewhere near the Grand Concourse and Fordham Rd., and we walked eastward toward the Campus. I imagine the area that we were in is one of the better areas of the Bronx, but I honestly have no clue whether or not that is accurate. There were a lot of shops along Fordham Road and it just seemed like a busy city street.

The day we were there, there was some sort of religious rally going on (it seemed to be a nation of islam rally), and it was very intense. There was a stage with a man preaching over a PA system, and a number of very militant looking young men approaching passers-by to hand out informative brochures and spread their message. I don't know what that message was as the three of us were not approached and were generally ignored altogether.

We actually walked around the perimeter of the campus, by the new york botanical gardens and entered from the north. The campus was absolutely beautiful. This was during the summer, so there weren't many students on campus and it was very quiet and peaceful. The architecture was very interesting, very gothic themed if I remember correctly, and there were tons of beautiful trees and flowers and a large lawn in the middle of a few of the large buildings on campus.

When we left the campus we retraced our steps back to the subway station. On the way back, the rally was still going on, and this time we walked back on the opposite side of the street. The second time through, we were not ignored. In fact, the moderator of the event called my friend the "White Jesus" and made a few references to my heavily tatooed friend as well, labeling him a sinner. This is when I started to feel a little uncomfortable, however, we quickly passed that area with no real problem.

Further down the road on the way to the Grand Concourse, we stopped in a shoe store as one of my friends was looking for a particular sneaker that he had not been able to find up to that point in Manhattan. Once inside we went to the lower level where there was a group of 3 associates standing in a circle talking to one another. We stood around looking for a few minutes, and when my friend found the pair of shoes he was looking for, he approached the men for assistance. As he asked them for help, two of the men walked to the back room, and the other stood there silently. My friend asked again for some assistance, and the young man replied, 'What do you want?" We were clearly not wanted in the store. The young man did assist my friend however and we left the store with no real issues.

At that point, we started heading back to the subway station. As we walked down Fordham Rd. there were a number of people on the curb selling things, and one man in particular, with a group of acquaintances, was performing some kind of magic trick/card trick. He attempted to grab our attention, but we kept walking. A man that seemed to be associated with the group stepped in front of one of my friends, somewhat threateningly got in his face, and said something inaudible/incomprehensible. My friend side-stepped him and we kept walking to the station.

There were no other issues and we made it back into Manhattan safe and sound.

I really have no basis by which to judge my experience as it relates to the average every day experience in this area of the Bronx. I don't know if this is a typically "good" neighborhood or not. I will say that these occurrences did make my friends and I feel somewhat unwelcome and uncomfortable as a result. This may be because we are from the suburbs of a relatively small city and are therefore not as comfortable as we would like to think we are in the big city. Or it could be that we had every right to feel the way we did. I'd say that its definitely a mixture of both.

I will say that this experience would not have kept me from attending Fordham if that was the school that I had chosen to attend (I actually decided not to attend graduate school at this point, but rather to gain work experience before getting a graduate degree). The area did not seem all that dangerous, and as I said before, the campus was very nice and pleasant. However, as a group of young white males, we did not seem to be the preferred demographic by the select few people that we encountered that day.

I apologize for the length of this response, but I just thought this seemed like the perfect thread in which to share my experience. I hope you are able to attend Fordham. Good Luck!
It's always interesting to read an outsider's point of view. I've just gotten so accustomed and desensitized to so many of the things you mentioned, that I barely notice them.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's always interesting to read an outsider's point of view. I've just gotten so accustomed and desensitized to so many of the things you mentioned, that I barely notice them.
Yeah. I'm certain that my being uncomfortable was almost entirely due in part to my complete lack of familiarity with living in a large, densely populated urban area. It was definitely a different atmosphere than what I grew up in.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:15 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Every day I sit in class daydreaming about going to Fordham. Haha. I really hope I can get in and I think I might have convinced my mom a little bit more by showing her facts about Pelhman Parkway and showing her many different Google Streetviews of the neighborhood. I was not going to mention that the other direction from campus contains some of the worst areas in the entire city though.
Just remember that your essay carries a lot of weight with Admissions. And it should be different, something that other people aren't writing about. They specifically gave the example about not writing about the death of a family member or friend. While this may have been a profound experience in your life, it's not unique. It happens to everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City