Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 05:35 PM

36 posts, read 73,189 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are visiting NYC during Christmas. We visited last summer, but didn't get a chance to venture into Brooklyn, which is a stop we definitely want to make this time around. I'm not much of a subway person - too claustrophobic, so we tend to do lots and lots of walking. We were planning on walking across the Brooklyn Bridge - where should we head once across? Any neat areas we need to look at? What are some good Pizza joints in the area?

Basically, any info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 05:45 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Brooklyn is quite big, so it's kind of hard to see much if you don't want to take the subway. However, the area right near the Bridge is home to Grimaldi's, one of the best pizza places in the city. It's also quite famous, so expect a long wait. I'd also recommend walking around that area, provided the weather is OK - DUMBO has some decent bars and cafes, and the Brooklyn Heights promenade has some of the best views of the skyline around.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM

155 posts, read 445,423 times
Walk up Henry Street to Lucali on the corner of Henry and Carroll, about 15-20 blocks away from the bridge in Carroll Gardens. You will walk through 3 different neighborhoods and get a great feel for the area, and at the end you can enjoy the pizza that GQ ranked #2 in the country...better atmosphere and pizza than Grimaldi's, IMHO. I also second the promenade.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Actually last year some friends and I from Scranton, PA did this exact same trip, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and exploring the historic and quaint Brooklyn Heights neighborhood. We ate at a restaurant called La Traviata, a little hole-in-the-wall Italian joint with a very nice atmosphere. Hopefully my photos will help to capture the "essence" of this part of Brooklyn. If I wasn't poor I could very easily envision myself living here someday.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,141 times
Those are some excellent photos. If I could choose any neighborhood in NYC to live in, it would probably be Brooklyn Heights (I'm actually one of those who prefers living the outer boroughs).

You know, I've been meaning to check out Lucali...gotta get over there.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:28 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Lucali is well worth the trip. For pizza, right by the Brooklyn Bridge, I agree with the recommendation for Grimaldi's. They are on Old Fulton Street in DUMBO, immediately adjacent to the bridge and The Heights.

Grimaldi's Pizzeria

For dessert, head over to Jacques Torres Chocolate and Ice Cream, both on Water Street in DUMBO, not far from Grimaldi's.

Jacques Torres

Lucali is a long walk from the bridge, but it's very good; and, you just have to get on Henry Street in The Heights and start walking south. If you do make the walk, Mazzola Bakery is nearby (Henry & Union) and is well worth a visit, though they don't have a cafe, so it's alfresco munching -- but it would make a good snack stop while exploring.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-05-2009 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: Added a link

Old 12-05-2009, 10:04 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times
Those are very beautiful photos! Do you have any more?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:13 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Please note: there is a NYC photo thread (you can search for it).

Old 12-06-2009, 05:38 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
Great pics! I work in downtown Brooklyn, just off Montague Street. There are a lot of great suggestions on this thread. I would just add that you could also hop on the subway (2/3 line) at Montague and Court and ride a few stops (Eastern Parkway) to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. They decorate the trees with lights for the holidays. It's really very lovely. They also have several indoor greenhouses, each with a different theme (temperate, rainforest, arid, bonsai) where you can go to warm up!

Old 12-06-2009, 06:44 AM

36 posts, read 73,189 times
Great, thanks you guys!! Are all these areas right near the bridge safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: