Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 134,573 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am really contemplating a move to New York and would like to know if anyone knows the most affordable place to live. What is the cheapest area in the entire state? I've been reading about the ridiculous costs in the city itself, but are there ANY affordable places in NYC? All I would be looking for is a room basically - I don't require an entire apartment or anything else of that such, I'm just one person with no familial baggage. Thank you all for your responses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 12:57 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
You can easily rent a room for $500 in many parts of the city. You should be able to afford this on even a very modest salary.

In several working class areas of the city you can still find a 1br for $900.

Not all of the city is expensive, but all of the trendy areas certainly are.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:58 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
In general, I would recommend sharing an apartment rather than renting a room, but I guess you'd have to check it out either way and see what you find!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:26 AM

7 posts, read 134,573 times
Thanks for the feedback - I know nothing of New York, so a forum such as this one is great in getting feedback. What areas in particular are considered nice, yet affordable?

Old 05-18-2007, 09:35 AM

319 posts, read 493,951 times
Nice and affordable don't go hand-in-hand here too often.

Look into Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

Lots of 1-bedroom apartments for around 900/m.

Places you can forget:
All of Manhattan
Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope, Downtown Brooklyn, Williamsburg (Brooklyn)
Astoria, Jamaica Estates, Flushing, Long Island City (Queens)

I'm not too familiar with the Bronx, but I'm sure you could get a good deal in a crappy neighborhood.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Hey you don't have to live in a crappy neighborhood in the Bronx to get a good deal.

Neighborhoods like Morris Park, Baychester (along the Pelham Parkway), Pelham Bay, Woodlawn, Throggs Neck, and Country Club are all nice and affordable.

If you're reccomending cheap areas in Brooklyn wouldn't you tell this guy to look into places like Bensonhurst, Gravesend, and Bath Beach as well? I would think that Bay Ridge is one of the more expensive areas to live in Southern Brooklyn (after Dyker Heights I guess)?

Riverdale is also quite nice, but is a bit more expensive than the rest.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:00 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Hey you don't have to live in a crappy neighborhood in the Bronx to get a good deal.

Neighborhoods like Morris Park, Baychester (along the Pelham Parkway), Pelham Bay, Woodlawn, Throggs Neck, and Country Club are all nice and affordable.

If you're reccomending cheap areas in Brooklyn wouldn't you tell this guy to look into places like Bensonhurst, Gravesend, and Bath Beach as well? I would think that Bay Ridge is one of the more expensive areas to live in Southern Brooklyn (after Dyker Heights I guess)?

Nice Bronx list minus Baychester, area is on the decline. It's also not along Pelham Parkway. If Throgs Neck, stay east of the highway to the Throgs Neck bridge, away from the PJ's. For Morris Park stay as far in the northeast as possible.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:11 AM

319 posts, read 493,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post

Those areas aren't exactly cheap. Studios start at ~900

Old 05-19-2007, 12:50 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
I would look into other more urban areas in the Bronx, although there is A LOT of disagreement on this issue. Crime is going down and some who live here, including me, find them to be decent places to live. People have posted about Fordham, and Highbridge was featured in the NY Times real estate this weekend. I'd also look into Kingsbridge, Marble Hill, north and south of Mosholu Parkway and check out SoBro as they call it and decide for yourself.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:35 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I would look into other more urban areas in the Bronx, although there is A LOT of disagreement on this issue. Crime is going down and some who live here, including me, find them to be decent places to live. People have posted about Fordham, and Highbridge was featured in the NY Times real estate this weekend. I'd also look into Kingsbridge, Marble Hill, north and south of Mosholu Parkway and check out SoBro as they call it and decide for yourself.
The NY Times said the South Bronx was a nice neighborhood on the way up in 1980... I'm talking the deep South Bronx, Morrisania, Melrose, ect. How foolish they were. They know no more about the Bronx then someone on the Deegan going to a Yankee game.

Crime is not on the way down. Compstat is about fudging numbers to boost real estate and tourism. How else do you get anything built across from those horrible housing projects. In my precinct in the Bronx our crime has been rising for the last few years now. I can say the same for the last area I worked in, the areas we spill into, and the area I live. It's no crack epidemic but as it's always been, it's a lot of violent street and drug crime. In order for the city to get rid of this problem in these low income areas I just don't know. I guess they wil just always exist in every city across the country.

Anyway, yes you can find an affordable place in nice areas, all you have to do is LOOK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City