Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 04:01 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHelpASAP View Post
I am exactly 21 days short on my rent. (I have a unit share in NYC and from what I can tell it is NOT a rent stabilized building). My landlord came by today and orally told me that I have to pay rent right now or I have to be out by tomorrow. To me, this seems illegal because it seems he would have to give me a rent demand and then proceed with the eviction proceedings. How soon after giving me a written rent demand do I have before I am physically evicted? I see from the posts that many people are many months behind and still haven't been kicked out is this the norm?
The landlord must obtain an eviction order from the courts, he can't simply demand you leave. In NYC, this often takes 4-6 months or even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 08:33 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,744,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
The landlord must obtain an eviction order from the courts, he can't simply demand you leave. In NYC, this often takes 4-6 months or even more.
It's 6 months at a very minimum. It will save more money and aggravation to buy the tenant out.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,189 times
Something has to be done to protect the landlord. It does not make sense that in addition to owing 8 months of rent at $1950 a month the tenant is now protected and given several chances and options. When the landlord falls behind in mortgage 8 months there is no one there to protect the landlord from losing their property. There should be a website that you can find out if this future tenant has a history of owing rent. They should be exposed!!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2017, 06:15 PM

602 posts, read 1,263,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoresrdh View Post
Something has to be done to protect the landlord. It does not make sense that in addition to owing 8 months of rent at $1950 a month the tenant is now protected and given several chances and options. When the landlord falls behind in mortgage 8 months there is no one there to protect the landlord from losing their property. There should be a website that you can find out if this future tenant has a history of owing rent. They should be exposed!!!!!!!!
Landlords typically request references for rental history to catch this sort of thing, and of course, there are the infamous NYC tenant blacklists...

Old 09-17-2017, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,911 times
how about you listen to the tenants story and help them find a place to move, a job, be a motivating force for them in a time of need. If that doesnt work, oh well you did a good deed and can proceed with your legal rights.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:07 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,118 times
6 months is the number. If tenant raises habitability issues, or has been harrassed and threathened, even longer.
In rc/rs buildings, tenants dont need to leave, especially with kids. If the LL is a Slum lord, and does not keep the apartment up to snuff, repairs need to be made, and rent gets rolled back to last lease rate.

So, keep the apartments pest free, make sure the heat works, and make sure the building remains clean and safe.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,754 times
My tenant got an order of protection against me, the Marshall came out to do the eviction he was in the apartment, he answered the door. I didn't stay at the eviction I went outside and waited until the eviction was completed. The Marshall came out the apartment after staying in there talking with the tenant, he finally came out telling me that he was screening for me, the tenant wasn't evicted. Something is not right

Old 01-15-2018, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,583 times
Hi someone help me. I live in NYC, I have a one year lease. I always pay rent ahead of time or on time (never been late, I have evidence). My roommate moved out, breaking the lease. She had a separate lease from me because her rent was higher, my lease is only with my name and the LL. After my roommate moved, the LL told me ill receive a letter by Thursday to vacate in 30 days. Her reason has nothing to do with me, according to her says.

My question is, since I did NOT breach the contract in any way, should I stay after I receive that letter which is NOT from court I believe? Should I pay her rent next month?

I think it is unfair that a good tenant like me is getting kicked out.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
If you have a lease directly with the LL, you're likely protected. Find a lawyer that specializes in defending tenants, and pay them to write a letter to the LL explaining this. The LL likely knows this already. But nothing says I know my rights, am willing to defend them, and won't get pushed around, like a letter from a lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj23jn View Post
Hi someone help me. I live in NYC, I have a one year lease. I always pay rent ahead of time or on time (never been late, I have evidence). My roommate moved out, breaking the lease. She had a separate lease from me because her rent was higher, my lease is only with my name and the LL. After my roommate moved, the LL told me ill receive a letter by Thursday to vacate in 30 days. Her reason has nothing to do with me, according to her says.

My question is, since I did NOT breach the contract in any way, should I stay after I receive that letter which is NOT from court I believe? Should I pay her rent next month?

I think it is unfair that a good tenant like me is getting kicked out.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:52 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Felt sorry for this older woman. Very desperate. Needed to find a place.
Failed to back check. My Fault. Acted on impulse of my heart.
Took 1 year to rid this tenant who paid one month rent and 1 month security.
and that was it until marshall finally kicked her out. This was back in the 80's
Knew every trick in the book. Postponing, delaying court due to sickness,
claims of no heat , inoperable outlets, toilets, etc.... all proven fabrications
but paper trail created brought her time as I had to disprove every complaint.
This tenant ( found out years later lived in this manner from home to home).
The last card pulled from her diabolical deck was the sudden inability to work
( on compensation /disability ). Finally out of excuses. Judgement in my favor.
She left. Thank goodness back then the close knit community ties kept all in the
loop of whose who as blackballing someone today is not allowed in this day and age.
( Defamation of character they say. Go figure? ) Never saw this evil evil person
in the neighborhood again. Hey, don't get me wrong. My heart goes out for those in
need but I learned the hard way to do my homework and back check every person
regardless as real estate is work, your lively hood and not a playground. Strictly business.
Strictly for the young. Great investment ( headaches included ) to cash out on when you
get older and finally decide to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City