Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 07:11 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHome buyer View Post
Sue the tenant??? that would cost thousands and would leave me with nothing.
We don't even know who they are!

BTW -Could you sue a tenant if you just know their "Name"???

Also judge gave them 7 WEEKS to "find a lawyer". Judge could have given 7 HOURS or 7 DAYS. Could I sue the judge for the lost rent?
This must be a joke. How did you buy the place without doing any research?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 09:38 AM

21 posts, read 14,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Being stuck with two non paying tenants is NOT a joke!

It is a long long story how we bought the house. It was directly from the seller at below market value. (The seller is out of town and has not gotten any rent for years.

(They said that they guy upstairs was supposed to pay rent and find a tenant for downstairs. First the guy upstairs was not paying any rent and also pocketing (stealing) the rent from downstairs. Then the people downstairs stopped paying rent. There is a whole long story and a lot lot more involved but that is irrelevant now.)

My wife was against this purchase from the beginning and now she thinks that we will be stuck with the squatters for a very very long time. (We need to pay mortgage and other expenses).

It took us 2-3 days to shop around and get an eviction lawyer.
Still can't figure out why the judge gave them 7 WEEKS to "find a lawyer"??!!

Old 07-24-2019, 10:37 AM

204 posts, read 635,173 times
Wait until the judge gave them 52 weeks to find a replacement apartment nearby per the new law. Good luck, you'll need a lot of it.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va-jc View Post
Wait until the judge gave them 52 weeks to find a replacement apartment nearby per the new law. Good luck, you'll need a lot of it.
Is that 52 Weeks Plus 7 weeks Plus all the adjournments and marshal??? You mean like 2 years??

Old 07-25-2019, 12:32 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
in my thread about "removing guests" when the original tenant passed away, it took almost a complete year to have the marshall come and bodily remove them. August would have of been a year.
But they are gone now.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:04 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
1 year in New York City.
Other States 30 days..............................
It's much longer now, with the new law tenants now get a year just to "search" for a replacement apartment. The whole process from start to SEE YA is now at least 18 months

Old 07-26-2019, 03:34 AM

105 posts, read 90,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHome buyer View Post
Being stuck with two non paying tenants is NOT a joke!

It is a long long story how we bought the house. It was directly from the seller at below market value. (The seller is out of town and has not gotten any rent for years.

(They said that they guy upstairs was supposed to pay rent and find a tenant for downstairs. First the guy upstairs was not paying any rent and also pocketing (stealing) the rent from downstairs. Then the people downstairs stopped paying rent. There is a whole long story and a lot lot more involved but that is irrelevant now.)

My wife was against this purchase from the beginning and now she thinks that we will be stuck with the squatters for a very very long time. (We need to pay mortgage and other expenses).

It took us 2-3 days to shop around and get an eviction lawyer.
Still can't figure out why the judge gave them 7 WEEKS to "find a lawyer"??!!
Let me begin by saying that the tenant are terrible people. Not paying rent without reason is inexcusable.

However, there's a reason you got the house for below market price. Nobody likes to deal with evictions, especially in probably the most tenant friendly city on the east coast.

Various people have already told you that your two options are are to lawyer up or pay them off. You can also sell the house and let the next owner deal with it. You have to stop looking at this from a perspective of how much money is lost and instead consider the most efficient way of resolving the issue.

Your wife is 100% correct. You will be dealing with squatters for a long time.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:42 AM

105 posts, read 90,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Although I have just made a lengthy reply, I'm thinking if this is a troll attempt. Why would you allow one tenant to collect rent for another? I feel bad if his story is true though.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:27 AM

204 posts, read 635,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosun View Post
Although I have just made a lengthy reply, I'm thinking if this is a troll attempt. Why would you allow one tenant to collect rent for another? I feel bad if his story is true though.
Yea. Seriously. Anyway, lawyer up and be ready for 18 months and 5k minimum lawyer fee.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosun View Post
We don’t know what exactly happened with previous owners who were out of town and it’s a long story that is not so relevant at this point.

Every day that goes by is a nightmare and it’s not fun to have people call this a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City