Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 02:08 PM

90 posts, read 286,043 times

Advertisements

This is our first New Years in NYC, just moved here recently, in addition we have friends visiting from out of town, which sort of puts the pressure on us to find a fun place to go.

We are in our 30s, and the situation is complicated by the fact that my husband's best friend's wife is 6 month pregnant... But in any case, somehow they are excited to hop on a flight to come here and she wants to go out. They say, it's their last time going out on NYE and they want something special.

We are looking for some lounge that would have some sort of roof access or terrace to be able to watch fireworks and activity around the city. I have found a place called Ava Penthouse that's supposed to provide views of Time Square, sounds really tempting, but we've never been there before and don't know if it's truly worth it.

We are planning to buy tickets to reserve VIP table for 4 in one of the venues that would have some sort of the rooftop based access.

have any of you been around time square during the NYE and how does this feel around the area? We aren't planning to go into the heart of this area where it's closed off, just the areas around, in case we do book one of the Time Square close venues. Is this just as hectic and crowded for ticket holders as well, or are they somehow getting easier time around the area? Is it too dangerous to go there with a pregnant woman with people pushing around too much even if it's a distance away from the actual ball-drop? is it possible to get cabs around Time Square area at all? We would take subway anyway, but just in case...

What venue would you recommend? And if all tickets are sold out (it didn't seem this way yet) then what are the best options for outside partying/fireworks watching in some areas like East Village or around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 03:55 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
never done times square NYE, but its one hot mess on any regular night..lol. it'll be a cold mess for NYE.

i don't know how your tickets work, but i would imagine that its going to be no different to having tickets to the theatre or concert. you will probably have to wait in a gated off line for a little while. being gated off should keep you from being bumped into, but all bets may be off being NYE and all..sorry i wasn't much help. i did stay in times square last weekend though...

Old 12-11-2009, 04:07 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
i was in times square yesturday for work and it was a miserable nightmare. WAY too crowded I can only imagine what NYC will be like

Old 12-11-2009, 05:45 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,354 times
NYE on a cruise along the river is a good way to see fireworks (when they actually DO them... I remember them being canceled for quite a few years and the only ones I recently remember were in central park...) without fighting a crowd.

It is crowded around times square on NYE & hard to see things when you are not RIGHT there (i.e. from a rooftop)... the area just doesn't have the best visibility.

Best times I have had were at a dinner timed right with drinks in a NICE restaurant (will run you the same $$ as a club/bar/lounge).

Old 12-11-2009, 05:46 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
i was in times square yesturday for work and it was a miserable nightmare. WAY too crowded I can only imagine what NYC will be like
NYE*** correction

Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 PM

90 posts, read 286,043 times
Thank you all for your advice. Does anyone know where the fireworks displays are around NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City