Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 PM

283 posts, read 521,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
6 years ago I use to work across the street from that armory at an elmentary school called ps 340 as an intern. I remember the talk of the block was the armory. Was it going to be knocked down, turned into stores or a school site. NYDOE and the local school district in the niegborhood wanted to the armory to be converted into school instead of a bunch of mainstream stores. To be honest I would rather the armory project turn into schools so that youths can be more productive mentally, socially, and academically. A school that can empower youths, and provide them with life long skills and tools for thier future. I'm also against the armory turning into a mall, I rather it be turned into a school. Mall will just decay kingsbridge section of the Bronx even more with constant barrage traffic and garbage. 7.50 hour wage is a joke to try to making a living off. 10 dollar s an hour is also a joke even though its the bare minium to make a living in this city. From the begining i knew the armory plan will fail because the issue of wages. Residents in kingsbridge if you wanna do your shopping just walk down jerome avenue and make a left on to Fordham Road. I hope the armory becomes a school and try to improve the quality of lives for the youths which could improve the quality of life for kingsbridge!

^^^ This is what they don't get, Bronxguyanese. There's different angles and ways to look at every issue but the pro-development, pro-gentrification ilk (on here think and real life) think throwing anything at us lowly poor ghetto Bronxites is sufficient and calling their plans into question at all is crazy and irrational. The mall was a terrible idea. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 06:39 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,090,865 times
it didnt hit me, how selfish, the decision was until i read an article about it in the daily yesterday. Something of this nature would have been a championship win for the whole bronx, the whole entire borough could have used it. How local mom and pop stores were able to ovveride that is incredible.

And the $10 thing is funny. These people are embarrasing themselves and the borough if they expect 10 an hour for jobs usually reserved for highschool students and twenty-somethings. lol. Like come on

Old 12-17-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
^^^ This is what they don't get, Bronxguyanese. There's different angles and ways to look at every issue but the pro-development, pro-gentrification ilk (on here think and real life) think throwing anything at us lowly poor ghetto Bronxites is sufficient and calling their plans into question at all is crazy and irrational. The mall was a terrible idea. Period.
keep it real the bronx needs all it can get. Im severly pro-development. Somethings gotta give man. Obviously the things the bronx has been doing for the last 30 years have not been working. The bronx needs development, like an insane amount.. just to make up some decades

All of this catering to the people, we are the world stuff gotta go. The bronx and bronxites just gotta step our game up a lil. I dont see anything irrational about anything bringing in more money,more jobs and most importantly more attention to the borough

Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post

Pookie, on the surface, converting the Armory into a school seems like the smart and right thing to do for the neighborhood but if you sit back and think about it...you have Walton High School and the other school (forgot the name) around the corner. You say traffic and garbage will be a nuisance if the mall were to be built but what about the nuisance of having thousands of ROWDY TEENAGERS loitering in and around the school area? It's like that now with Walton H.S. and the other one, imagine adding another gigantic school in the area. Forget learning, I'll be a breeding ground for gangs and vandalism.

Teenagers get into trouble with the law not because they don't go to school but because they have NOTHING else to do in their spare time other than hang out in the street which evenually corrupts them and before you know it, a new drug dealer(s) in born. Once they have already been corrupted, thats when they forget about school (drop-out) and contribute to inner city problems.

These teenagers have way too much time on their hands to the point that they start doing the wrong things. The Armory is definately big enough to have pretty much anything imaginable. If I'm not mistaken, the Armory goes as far as 10 stories below ground.....thats HUGE!!!. Do you realize the space that the Armory really has? It won't just be chain stores but other stores as well. Space is def available.

You can easily have some sort of stores that offer recreation for the kids so they can stay out the streets and keep them busy. You can have Karate classes, dance studios, piano or any instrument lessons, art classes, swimming pools, golf range, batting cages, basketball courts, tennis courts, rock climbing, arts and craft, movie theatre, indoor playground for the little kids plus more with room to spare. Thats how big this place is.

Putting a school there is NOT the answer. Kids will always find a school to go to regardless. It's the after school activies that they lack which leads them down the wrong path. Not to mention, all these recreational facitlies need workers to run it so not only are you keep kids off the streets but at the same time, you're creating jobs for neighborhood people. You're killing 2 birds with 1 stone here. Can't ask for more.

Last edited by victorfox; 12-17-2009 at 08:40 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 03:52 PM

283 posts, read 521,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Pookie, on the surface, converting the Armory into a school seems like the smart and right thing to do for the neighborhood but if you sit back and think about it...you have Walton High School and the other school (forgot the name) around the corner. You say traffic and garbage will be a nuisance if the mall were to be built but what about the nuisance of having thousands of ROWDY TEENAGERS loitering in and around the school area? It's like that now with Walton H.S. and the other one, imagine adding another gigantic school in the area. Forget learning, I'll be a breeding ground for gangs and vandalism.

Teenagers get into trouble with the law not because they don't go to school but because they have NOTHING else to do in their spare time other than hang out in the street which evenually corrupts them and before you know it, a new drug dealer(s) in born. Once they have already been corrupted, thats when they forget about school (drop-out) and contribute to inner city problems.

These teenagers have way too much time on their hands to the point that they start doing the wrong things. The Armory is definately big enough to have pretty much anything imaginable. If I'm not mistaken, the Armory goes as far as 10 stories below ground.....thats HUGE!!!. Do you realize the space that the Armory really has? It won't just be chain stores but other stores as well. Space is def available.

You can easily have some sort of stores that offer recreation for the kids so they can stay out the streets and keep them busy. You can have Karate classes, dance studios, piano or any instrument lessons, art classes, swimming pools, golf range, batting cages, basketball courts, tennis courts, rock climbing, arts and craft, movie theatre, indoor playground for the little kids plus more with room to spare. Thats how big this place is.

Putting a school there is NOT the answer. Kids will always find a school to go to regardless. It's the after school activies that they lack which leads them down the wrong path. Not to mention, all these recreational facitlies need workers to run it so not only are you keep kids off the streets but at the same time, you're creating jobs for neighborhood people. You're killing 2 birds with 1 stone here. Can't ask for more.
The traffic issue would be far worse for the area than rowdy teenagers from a public health standpoint. I'm still scratching my head as to how developers managed to get approved to build a suburban-style mall with a giant parking garage in East harlem where something like 1/4 of all children have asthma.

As for the kiddies, you already gave us the solution. A charter school or low-cost private school (not another failure public school) with supplemental afterschool/recreational programs and also security to keep the "hood rats" in check would be far more beneficial than another mall, IMO. Do we really need another one of those? They already opened the Gateway Center less than a year ago.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 AM

56 posts, read 415,067 times
even though the bronx was dangrous in the 80's & 90's it has gotten alot better since then first of all. second people still come to visit The Bronx for instance, Yankee Stadium, The Bronx Zoo, Bay Plaza, & Hunts Point Produce Market (you forgot that one) no madder how dangrous it is, people still need to or want to come here (The Bronx Zoo is the largest Metropolitan Zoo in the U.S.A). Someone i know was telling me "whats so great about the bronx? its a real Mod cut, you look at somebody the wrong way & you get shot at".

Then he went around to a few people we know & asked them all whats the first thing that comes to their minds when they here the word "BRONX", a few people said "the city" but most of the people said killings & made gun shot sounds.

I've been to the bronx plenty of times & ive never had an incident. like i said before the bronx has gotten better, alot better since the 90's, it's just people that dont live there dont know & they all assume its just like it was in the 90's.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-05-2010 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
If there were more home ownership opportunities in the Bronx (i.e., condos and co-ops) that are priced right, you might get more of a middle class moving in. With more home ownership you might get more community pride and things could change. I have looked for co-op/condo opportunities outside of Riverdale but they are few and far between.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTA6TRAIN View Post
even though the bronx was dangrous in the 80's & 90's it has gotten alot better since then first of all. second people still come to visit The Bronx for instance, Yankee Stadium, The Bronx Zoo, Bay Plaza, & Hunts Point Produce Market (you forgot that one) no madder how dangrous it is, people still need to or want to come here (The Bronx Zoo is the largest Metropolitan Zoo in the U.S.A). Someone i know was telling me "whats so great about the bronx? its a real Mod cut, you look at somebody the wrong way & you get shot at".

Then he went around to a few people we know & asked them all whats the first thing that comes to their minds when they here the word "BRONX", a few people said "the city" but most of the people said killings & made gun shot sounds.

I've been to the bronx plenty of times & ive never had an incident. like i said before the bronx has gotten better, alot better since the 90's, it's just people that dont live there dont know & they all assume its just like it was in the 90's.
Where did you conduct this survey?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:41 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
If there were more home ownership opportunities in the Bronx (i.e., condos and co-ops) that are priced right, you might get more of a middle class moving in. With more home ownership you might get more community pride and things could change. I have looked for co-op/condo opportunities outside of Riverdale but they are few and far between.
In addition to developing more co-ops and condos, the Bronx could probably also benefit from some co-op conversions using the limited equity model. With limited equity, the co-op has rules regarding pricing of shares when sold. Hence, the purchase price of a unit in a limited equity co-op is typically much lower than a market-rate co-op. An example of this type of housing is the Amalgamated Housing Corporation. I don't know exactly what section of the Bronx that is but the address is 98 Van Cortlandt Park 10463.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
There are projects like that in the works. You also have to realize that the areas that seem to be more in transition at the moment are heavy rental areas. The more settled middle class areas of the Bronx have always been there and haven't really changed much. There is also Parkchester which figures to go up in price so now would be a good time to get in. But your right there aren't a ton of opportunities for middle class people but you can say that about the whole city not just the Bronx...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City