Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 PM

5 posts, read 7,335 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
My job will be sending me to New York very shortly and I am just looking for feedback as to wehre a decent place to live might be. Price range for apartments is $1000-2000. My commute to work will either be to Tarrytown or Queens. I have come to grips with the fact that I may have to commute an hour or so to get to work. Since I am new I decided to have a car so that I can travel to the areas outside of the big city. I understand a car going into the city is a horribly bad idea. I'm pretty young so an area with alot of other yound people or a good night life couldn't hurt. So my question would be: what is a good, decent, area that is relatively safe, close to mass transit, and has plenty of apartments close to my price range?

I have had a few people recomend Westchester county and New jersey. But again being the leat bit familiar with the east coast it is hard to tell.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Where you should live depends on where your job ends up being located. If you work in Queens, then live in Queens. In Tarrytown, live in Westchester.

Commute is everything in this town!

If in Queens, try Astoria or Sunnyside and in your budgeting, budget separately for a garage or parking space. So you might end up with a $1500 apartment and a $200 parking space.

However, this advice really depends on exactly where in Queens you would be working.

Also, just a note that $1000 won't get you much at all in the areas of Queens near Manhattan and near the subways so you are most likely going to have to look in the middle to top of your range.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:34 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
For $1000 you can a studio apt. in decent areas of Queens.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 AM

203 posts, read 664,850 times
I agree with Henna...it all depends on where you will be working. Thats a big price range so I'm sure you'll find something. As for night life...I guess it would be preferable to live in Queens rather than Tarrytown.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Good luck!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:26 AM

So are there any neighborhoods you would recomend in Queens?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
There are many decent areas in Queens, though for younger people you may want to look to an area like Astoria, or even parts of Long Island City. Bayside and Forest Hills are also good areas, though I'd not describe them as teeming with the post-college age group. Parking can be very tight in some Queens neighborhoods, however, so it's a good idea to plan for a lot or garage, especially if you're in a very built-up area.

If you are working in Tarrytown, I would definitely stay in Westchester for a few reasons: You will have an easier commute, and will avoid the NYC resident income tax. You will have lower car insurance rates, and a better chance of a garage, driveway, parking spot at a more favorable price than you would pay in the city.

Westchester gets very residential, though there are pockets that have a bit of an urban character to them. For a younger person, White Plains, and even parts of Tarrytown would be fine, but a place like Pelham or Larchmont, while very nice, are much more family-oriented areas.

Since you could be working in Tarrytown, I would also consider the Nyack area of Rockland County, since it's just across the bridge. The Tappan Zee can be a terrible commute, but since you're not headed to White Plains or from an area further out in Rockland, it might not be a bad area to consider. It is, however, a little removed from the city, which can be an issue if you want to go to the city during your off-hours. There is bus service to Nyack from Manhattan, and you can take the train to Tarrytown and then the TappanZeexpress shuttle bus to get there from the train. It's not the easiest commute, hence why the prices are lower.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
There are many decent areas in Queens, though for younger people you may want to look to an area like Astoria, or even parts of Long Island City. Bayside and Forest Hills are also good areas, though I'd not describe them as teeming with the post-college age group. Parking can be very tight in some Queens neighborhoods, however, so it's a good idea to plan for a lot or garage, especially if you're in a very built-up area.

If you are working in Tarrytown, I would definitely stay in Westchester for a few reasons: You will have an easier commute, and will avoid the NYC resident income tax. You will have lower car insurance rates, and a better chance of a garage, driveway, parking spot at a more favorable price than you would pay in the city.

Westchester gets very residential, though there are pockets that have a bit of an urban character to them. For a younger person, White Plains, and even parts of Tarrytown would be fine, but a place like Pelham or Larchmont, while very nice, are much more family-oriented areas.

Since you could be working in Tarrytown, I would also consider the Nyack area of Rockland County, since it's just across the bridge. The Tappan Zee can be a terrible commute, but since you're not headed to White Plains or from an area further out in Rockland, it might not be a bad area to consider. It is, however, a little removed from the city, which can be an issue if you want to go to the city during your off-hours. There is bus service to Nyack from Manhattan, and you can take the train to Tarrytown and then the TappanZeexpress shuttle bus to get there from the train. It's not the easiest commute, hence why the prices are lower.

Thanks. Going to Tarrytown is a once a month deal, tops. I'll be concentrating on Queens. What places should I outright avoid, or even maringinally avoid in that area?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbertson View Post
Hey all,
My job will be sending me to New York very shortly and I am just looking for feedback as to wehre a decent place to live might be. Price range for apartments is $1000-2000. My commute to work will either be to Tarrytown or Queens. I have come to grips with the fact that I may have to commute an hour or so to get to work. Since I am new I decided to have a car so that I can travel to the areas outside of the big city. I understand a car going into the city is a horribly bad idea. I'm pretty young so an area with alot of other yound people or a good night life couldn't hurt. So my question would be: what is a good, decent, area that is relatively safe, close to mass transit, and has plenty of apartments close to my price range?

I have had a few people recomend Westchester county and New jersey. But again being the leat bit familiar with the east coast it is hard to tell.

Thanks for the help.
do you know what area of queens you will be working at? queens is the largest in land size of the boroughs, so it can easily take an hour in traffic driving from one end of queens to the other. this will help to narrow down your search for queens neighborhoods if you could provide us that information.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbertson View Post
Thanks. Going to Tarrytown is a once a month deal, tops. I'll be concentrating on Queens. What places should I outright avoid, or even maringinally avoid in that area?
Gotcha. Then I would stay in Queens. As for areas to avoid, parts of Jamaica are not very nice, and there are problems in parts of Corona, parts of the Rockaways (Far Rockaway), and Elmhurst. Generally in the immediate vicinity of the airports, I don't find the neighborhoods to be that desirable, so I might not recommend looking there, despite the inexpensive rents. Other areas are more transitional, like Ridgewood (especially near the Brooklyn line), and Jackson Heights, though parts of Jackson Heights are nice.

Sunnyside (especially Sunnyside Gardens) would be an area to consider, though be sure to arrange parking as it can be difficult in that area. Woodside is another area that is stable, for the most part.

ETA: Since you have a car, Eastern Queens is much easier in which to own/operate a vehicle, since it's much more in character with neighboring areas of Nassau County. The problem, however, is that these areas tend to have much more in common with neighboring Nassau County, demographically, as in they are of a more suburban character and are more family-oriented, rather than an area teeming with singles.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-04-2010 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City