Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:25 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,800,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't think this is a matter of getting something for "free." It falls under the category of job benefit, not getting something for nothing.

What if our jobs give us a health club membership as an incentive or a job perk. If there's a line for the treadmill, should we let they guy next to us go first because he is paying full price and we are getting our membership through our employer?

What about tuition assistance programs, or what is someone's dad teaches at a university and the dad gets to have his kids attend the university as one of his job benefits? Should the professor's kid wait to raise his hand in class until after all the full-fare kids have finished asking their questions? Should he be the last in line to select his classes?

Also I'm using a neighbor's free internet right now, so...maybe if other members are paying for their own internet, you should respond to their posts first?

Very interesting observations. The fashion company I work for has many partnerships with various services throughout the city.

So if I make an appointment for my hair cut should I have to wait till everyone else goes because I get a company discount?

And yes since i pay for my internet i demand my post be placed before yours henna!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 08:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
I will add, by the way, that if I saw the rule that supposedly exists for these employees and it says that they must stand and offer their seat to anyone who comes onto the bus after they do and doesn't have a seat, then I would change my opinion. But so far I haven't seen that rule and even if some version of it exists, I would want to see the exact language.

And unfortunately I was kidding about the internet just to make a point. I do pay for half of mine...so you can place half of my posts at the back of the line!

Old 12-19-2009, 09:07 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,536,631 times
Officially, I think those guys are called Traffic Enforcement Agents. 100% under NYPD control. They're not "traffic cops" because the majority do not have law enforcement powers. Most are straight-up civilians. I'm pretty sure that the DOT doesn't handle parking and traffic enforcement duties anymore. Allegedly went under NYPD control because of harassment issues from the public.

Back to the issue at hand. Based on the many times that I've seen them ride the bus, I think they are allowed to sit down unless the bus starts to get crowded, then they have to give up their seats. Walking most of their shift, I think it makes sense. Now, several times I've seen NYPD officers using the bus to get to their foot patrol and never sitting down. Even if the bus has a handful of passengers. But unlike others, they are on a moment's notice.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:49 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,427,626 times
Quote:
I don't think this is a matter of getting something for "free." It falls under the category of job benefit, not getting something for nothing.

This is not a "job benefit"; it's a courtesy. And if you're being given a courtesy, you should be courteous to those who have to pay for it. At any rate, from the looks and sounds of these clowns, they wouldn't have gotten up if a woman about to give birth got on the bus. They were an absolute disgrace in all ways.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:41 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,774,792 times
Quote:
Also I'm using a neighbor's free internet right now, so...maybe if other members are paying for their own internet, you should respond to their posts first?
LOL......Sometimes Henna, you really crack me up!

Old 12-22-2009, 09:14 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
I can tell you as a transit worker that we're not supposed to take a paying passenger's seat on the trains. Of course, those of us who don't wear uniforms are rather more difficult to spot. But, as we say in this town, waddaya gonna do? Some people--and this applies to my fellow transit workers as well as passengers--just do what they want to do. And until something is said to them, you can't expect anything to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City