Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:27 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,427,626 times

Advertisements

Okay, I can understand the Traffic Cops/Brownies/Meter Maids getting a free ride on the bus but should they be taking up the seats so paying passengers can't sit?!??!?

This morning, the M34 bus was FULL of Traffic cops... all taking the entire back section of the bus. Only TWO got up to allow paying passengers to sit. The rest remained seated and their "conversation" was one I would expect to hear in a bar or on a street corner.

I'm so mad at myself for not taking a picture of this (the cops sitting while passengers are standing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 04:52 PM

784 posts, read 2,723,864 times
Is there a law against them sitting? If not, then it is ok.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
I think it's ok for them to sit, too.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:03 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,040,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Okay, I can understand the Traffic Cops/Brownies/Meter Maids getting a free ride on the bus but should they be taking up the seats so paying passengers can't sit?!??!?

This morning, the M34 bus was FULL of Traffic cops... all taking the entire back section of the bus. Only TWO got up to allow paying passengers to sit. The rest remained seated and their "conversation" was one I would expect to hear in a bar or on a street corner.

I'm so mad at myself for not taking a picture of this (the cops sitting while passengers are standing)
Are you related to Jimmy Justice or something? c'mon. These people spend hours on their feet in all kinds of weather. I have seen traffic agents being transported in vans before, but have never seen them before riding in a group on city buses.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:12 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,800,438 times
Really, they are just people on their way to work like any other person. Unless you are old/handicapped/pregnant there really is no reason for anyone to give their seat up to you. Believe me I get on the E train all the time and wish that the business men would give their seats up to me.

My friend gets a free metro card through her internship should she not be allowed to sit either?

Old 12-19-2009, 06:39 PM

363 posts, read 814,991 times
If they are in uniform, they are NOT allowed to take the seat of a paying customer. There isn't a law per say in the NYS Penal Law but THERE IS a Rule in the NYPD that prohibits this. The problem is that many people don't know there's a rule that exists.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that they shouldn't sit down if the bus or train is even half empty, but only when it doesn't take the seat of a fare paying customer. Pay attention the next time you see a police recruit on the bus or train. See if they sit down and take a seat. Some of them won't, even if the bus or train is empty. Why? Because there are rules when coming and going using mass transit while in uniform. They know that they can get in trouble if caught taking a seat when other people have to stand. That applies to all NYPD in uniform.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:54 PM

784 posts, read 2,723,864 times
I believe she was talking about Traffic Cops and Meter Maids, who are part of the Department of Transportation, not the NYPD.

I've been riding the subway for all my life and have never seen an NYPD officer sit down in a full subway car.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:39 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,427,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
I believe she was talking about Traffic Cops and Meter Maids, who are part of the Department of Transportation, not the NYPD.

I've been riding the subway for all my life and have never seen an NYPD officer sit down in a full subway car.

No, they are part of NYPD.... The patches on their arms say "City of New York Police Department" and above that is another that says "Traffic"..

There actually IS a "rule" whatever you want to call it. MTA workers, cops, fire dept personell, etc get free rides. However, they are NOT supposed to take up seats that fare paying passengers need to use.

To earlier posters..... Do you think I care how many hours a day they're on their feet??? I don't. They're getting a free ride and should have the common decency not to take up every seat in the back of the bus while you have at least 7 or 8 fare paying passengers standing.

To the poster who mentions her friend doing an internship and getting a free Metro Card? Yeah... when you do an internship, you're getting some kind of stipend, be it a Metro Card, lunches, or whatever. SOMEONE paid for the Metro Card so your friend is, in essence, a fare-paying passenger.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 8,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
No, they are part of NYPD.... The patches on their arms say "City of New York Police Department" and above that is another that says "Traffic"..

There actually IS a "rule" whatever you want to call it. MTA workers, cops, fire dept personell, etc get free rides. However, they are NOT supposed to take up seats that fare paying passengers need to use.

To earlier posters..... Do you think I care how many hours a day they're on their feet??? I don't. They're getting a free ride and should have the common decency not to take up every seat in the back of the bus while you have at least 7 or 8 fare paying passengers standing.

To the poster who mentions her friend doing an internship and getting a free Metro Card? Yeah... when you do an internship, you're getting some kind of stipend, be it a Metro Card, lunches, or whatever. SOMEONE paid for the Metro Card so your friend is, in essence, a fare-paying passenger.
ch ch OWNED! I always agree that if you are getting something for free, you should always be courteous to those who are paying.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremetrius View Post
ch ch OWNED! I always agree that if you are getting something for free, you should always be courteous to those who are paying.
I don't think this is a matter of getting something for "free." It falls under the category of job benefit, not getting something for nothing.

What if our jobs give us a health club membership as an incentive or a job perk. If there's a line for the treadmill, should we let they guy next to us go first because he is paying full price and we are getting our membership through our employer?

What about tuition assistance programs, or what is someone's dad teaches at a university and the dad gets to have his kids attend the university as one of his job benefits? Should the professor's kid wait to raise his hand in class until after all the full-fare kids have finished asking their questions? Should he be the last in line to select his classes?

Also I'm using a neighbor's free internet right now, so...maybe if other members are paying for their own internet, you should respond to their posts first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City