Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:47 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times

Advertisements

Gradstudent77, firstly let me say that unlike many New Yorkers who were born someplace else I am a native New Yorker born and raised here all my life....so I have watched what has happened in this city from it's rise to it's current status. Second nowhere in my post did I use the word *cheap* to describe the housing conditions needed in this city. My post was pointing out the need for balance and the ridiculous state of NYC housing. In other words the upper middle class and wealthy are fine in this city because they can afford the ridiculous prices. But Usually when people attempt to reason that rent stabilization should not exist......they do so because they are not personally affected.....but I am willing to bet that if the shoe were on the other foot and you were a lifelong resident of downtown Brooklyn or Harlem and making a modest income you would see things differently. As for your snide remark about moving to Brownsville or Newark....how elitist of you to suggest that people should have to live in squalid conditions and move to less desirable areas to make way for those with more money!

This city needs a system in place to accomodate ALL RESIDENTS from the lowest income to the highest income. The way things are right now only the interests of the real estate developers and those with money are being looked out for. At what point does the craziness end and people begin saying no to paying $2000 a month for a shoe box size apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 07:06 PM

106 posts, read 288,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
how elitist of you to suggest that people should have to live in squalid conditions and move to less desirable areas to make way for those with more money!
And that's the way it should be. Welfare/rent stabilization is a useless drain on society. Just like the projects.

Nobody has the right to live in the middle of Manhattan when there are far cheaper areas in the other boroughs. Move to Bronx. Move to Newark.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:21 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post
And that's the way it should be. Welfare/rent stabilization is a useless drain on society. Just like the projects.

Nobody has the right to live in the middle of Manhattan when there are far cheaper areas in the other boroughs. Move to Bronx. Move to Newark.
There we have it, folks. The ultimate salute to the Reagan Revolution that was born in trickle down morning in America glory with a speech in Philadelphia, MS, a notorious site of murder in the civil rights movement that reminded the folks that Ronnie was the white..er...right man for the job.

It ended, of course, officially at least, for this one has been a slow bleed that was turning into a gush, when the crashing economy of 2008. That's quite a show the top 5% or perhaps less of the folks with the highest incomes have given us.

Yes, CL63, you indeed have come up with an admirable and workable solution to our problems with the best classic lines, filled with compassion and equality, in all of history:

"Move to Bronx. Move to Newark."

while I add my own:

"or to China to get a job"

"when in the Bronx or Newark, let them eat cake."

Old 12-26-2009, 09:18 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL63 View Post

In your eyes, no one with middle-or low income may have the "right" to live in Manhattan but people do, and that ain't gonna change. NYC has historically been about mixing the income levels, even in Manhattan (which btw isn't the center of the earth. Frankly, I have/had ZERO desire to live there). And with this crap economy, with high grossing people suddenly finding themselves laid off, you might find yourself in a soup kitchen line.

You want a self contained island of upper classed people, you'd better keep searching. Despite what some people on this board make the city out to be, it isn't some playground for the rich.

Personally, I would rather Manhattan, with all of its financial centers and skyscrapers, stay the way that it is. One of the things I appreciate about the boroughs is that they are away from all of that and that the skyline isn't overcrowded with a bunch of buildings.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:22 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Gradstudent77, firstly let me say that unlike many New Yorkers who were born someplace else I am a native New Yorker born and raised here all my life....so I have watched what has happened in this city from it's rise to it's current status.
So, do you feel like you deserve something because you are from here? Are you a better New Yorker than someone who moved here six months ago from Ohio?

Quote:
Second nowhere in my post did I use the word *cheap* to describe the housing conditions needed in this city.
My point is all but the very lowest earners in nyc can afford a place in nyc at market rent. It's just in neighborhoods that some consider "bad" or beneath them.

Quote:
My post was pointing out the need for balance and the ridiculous state of NYC housing. In other words the upper middle class and wealthy are fine in this city because they can afford the ridiculous prices. But Usually when people attempt to reason that rent stabilization should not exist......they do so because they are not personally affected.....but I am willing to bet that if the shoe were on the other foot and you were a lifelong resident of downtown Brooklyn or Harlem and making a modest income you would see things differently.
That's exactly my point. The fact that the policy benefits me individually does not make it the right policy for government to choose. Indeed, the policy is good for me only at the expense of everyone else.

Quote:
As for your snide remark about moving to Brownsville or Newark....how elitist of you to suggest that people should have to live in squalid conditions and move to less desirable areas to make way for those with more money!
Actually, it is elitist of you to consider Brownsville or Newark to be "squalid conditions". I'm sure there are people who live in these neighborhoods that love them. I just mentioned them because they have the least expensive rent/housing prices around.

Quote:
This city needs a system in place to accomodate ALL RESIDENTS from the lowest income to the highest income. The way things are right now only the interests of the real estate developers and those with money are being looked out for. At what point does the craziness end and people begin saying no to paying $2000 a month for a shoe box size apartment?
There's a choice and a trade-off: Either you let people who happened to live here for a long time enjoy rent stabilization and thereby screw newcomers, or you let the market work itself out and probably push out more lower-income folks than are currently being pushed out.

If you want that "craziness" to end, then you should be happy when the city lets those greedy, soulless, baby-killing, satan-worshiping developers build what they do: as long as they are building more units, housing prices are going down, city-wide, even if they might be increasing in the immediate area. Every luxury tower that is built is keeping more affluent people out of existing housing, and thus reducing competition for the housing that lower-income people occupy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City