Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:56 PM

52 posts, read 233,935 times

Advertisements

Well, we've heard we have the best drinking water in the US...I think that still stands...for the most part...what floored me was to see how many states and even some parts of NY are dealing with water that is actually toxic...can't see it...or smell it...a typical sign is if a community seems to suffer from similar ailments...we've heard stories like that in NJ, or at least I have...there are testing kits people can get (especially if you have a house no matter how exclusive and high end the neighborhood, but if you have a house and your own well or other source of water rather than municipal)...

Anyone interested in this topic, this is a good article...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/us/17water.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:09 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
I love my tap water...or "bloomberg water" as they call it at the restaurant near my house. I used to use a filter but I eventually got tired of filling it up. The only comment I have is that my water doesnt get as cold as i would like it in my kitchen. I just use ice then..

Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 PM

593 posts, read 890,323 times
A while ago I did a water study and concluded that NewYork City water is amaobd the best in the country. The aquafier they draw from is prestine and of great quality. There are instances unfortuately where leaded pipes still leach and in older parts of town old pipes are lined with asbestos. The city is aware of all of this so not to worry.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:21 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
A while ago I did a water study and concluded that NewYork City water is amaobd the best in the country. The aquafier they draw from is prestine and of great quality. There are instances unfortuately where leaded pipes still leach and in older parts of town old pipes are lined with asbestos. The city is aware of all of this so not to worry.
I quite agree. Check out the DEP report, it's issused annually.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Of all the places I've lived, NYC water is best. I actually miss the taste!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
I understand that some enterprising businessman actually bottles New York City tap water and sells it in California! I guess they're in need of the best out there.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:38 PM

52 posts, read 233,935 times
You all are right from what we all know...but another thing to remember is that we NY'ers are transplanted all over the US...so if you have any friends, family or acquaintences outside of NY it's worth sending them that link to make sure they live in an area that as safe drinking water...there is a map on that page too that has some information as to how many states have different toxic things in it...places you would never imagine like Virginia Beach and parts of PA...and LA and so on...

Old 12-24-2009, 07:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
It's fine but I still prefer to filter it, since it just taste more like water when you filter it...

Old 12-24-2009, 10:13 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's fine but I still prefer to filter it, since it just taste more like water when you filter it...
What part of the city do you live in? Here in the Midwood section of Brooklyn, water hasn't got any taste. That's the way I always thought it was supposed to be.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What part of the city do you live in? Here in the Midwood section of Brooklyn, water hasn't got any taste. That's the way I always thought it was supposed to be.
Really? I've lived in NYC my whole life and tap water has always had a "taste" to it. I can always tell the difference. It's not bad I just prefer it not to have that tap water taste, hence why I filter...

Maybe it's just my taste buds, I have heard people swear they can't tell the difference...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City