Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro5621 View Post
Well you guys have told me all the bad aspects of the city....Do you mind telling me some of the great parts??? Since you guys live there.
Sure.

I love going out 5 nights a week with all my friends and having a great time

I love my school and all the opportunities its given me.

I love my fabulous internship at a great fashion company.

I love my apartment in a fantastic Neighborhood

Shopping.

Restaurants. I love my sushi.

I like the way I can stay in on a Saturday night and not feel like I'm missing anything because I went out Monday-Friday.

I actually like the subway, although it does wear on me. Its nice from the 34th street stop to the 23rd st. stop and vice versa.

I am sure there are a million more things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro5621 View Post
You know...Since you guys seem to think I dont know. Tell me yourselfs.
Yourselves*** If you are going to work in NYC you need to work on your grammar!

Old 12-23-2009, 01:31 PM

35 posts, read 122,911 times
What about the sight seeing? How is that?

Old 12-23-2009, 01:31 PM

203 posts, read 664,641 times
$400 for garage $1500 for 1BR...why do you assume OP must live in manhattan.Not that I think $2000 and a HS education in NYC with no family/friends is gonna work, Its Not.As for what people who work at grocery stores do? I guess if you're wondering what people with low paying no skill jobs do...let me make a generalization...they probably get some govt subsidies, they live with more than 2 people in a 1 bedroom apartment (possibly a basement apartment), they probably live in the outerboroughs...they work more than 1 job if they can find it, and do not have much money left over to go out to restaurants, movies, etc, etc.Your other option is to apply for some graphical design program in NYC and see if you can get a student loan to cover housing/tuition...while also working. (not to say that this is a good idea, you have to decide yourself).

Old 12-23-2009, 01:32 PM

No!! I am great at English just not at spelling. I swear.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:33 PM

I don't really go sight seeing since I live here. Its weird how things like the Empire State building seem to blend into the background of life.

They way I look at it, its not a vacation, its real life. It's like I told people. When I lived in Cleveland I only went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame once, and that was on a snow day in high school because both me and my boyfriend, both native clevelanders, had never been there!

Plus if you are working you won't have much time to go sights seeing and stuff like that.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops99 View Post
$400 for garage $1500 for 1BR...why do you assume OP must live in manhattan.Not that I think $2000 and a HS education in NYC with no family/friends is gonna work, Its Not.As for what people who work at grocery stores do? I guess if you're wondering what people with low paying no skill jobs do...let me make a generalization...they probably get some govt subsidies, they live with more than 2 people in a 1 bedroom apartment (possibly a basement apartment), they probably live in the outerboroughs...they work more than 1 job if they can find it, and do not have much money left over to go out to restaurants, movies, etc, etc.Your other option is to apply for some graphical design program in NYC and see if you can get a student loan to cover housing/tuition...while also working. (not to say that this is a good idea, you have to decide yourself).
Thats why I have a room mate. And I dont have to live in Manhattan I can deal with Queens or Staten Island.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:41 PM

203 posts, read 664,641 times
That was meant for the posters who quoted those prices, not for you the (OP).
I'm saying that while it is not as expensive as others are saying, it is still expensive. And the fact that you have no skill/education, it will be hard to find a job.

So you may be able to get a basement apartment with your friend for about $500-700 each. Your $2K will still not last you long though and you still have no skills to find a decent paying job. It may take longer than 2 months.

Last edited by Cyclops99; 12-23-2009 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: add comment

Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Slow down. Go back and read post #28.

Take my advice.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:22 PM

Im taking everyone's advice.... Since I still want to go to a big city but lack the money....I am going to Indianapolis instead...Same vibe..Just one 5th the price...Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City