Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:52 AM

44 posts, read 137,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
It's the weather here in NY that ruins everything. It is never nice enough consistent enough to enjoy. North East weather is really crappy. That alone makes me not like it to much here,
but like most folk who live here, family is here, job is here, so moving is not just that easy.
Although I agree Northeast winters are undesirable, I think New York and the broader region have beautiful summers. In the summer, you can't beat New York. If I achieve my dreams, I would live in New York during summer and Florida during the winter.

Right now, though, I'm a journalist, so I'll be lucky if I just make it back to New York period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 09:50 AM

54 posts, read 303,927 times
No, I don't miss NYC. I moved to Louisiana and prefer it down here.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:35 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNYCer View Post
Things about NYC that i do not miss:
1. the crowds
2. the overpriced closet size apts
3. pretentious transplants
4. how performing everday errands are a pain in the azz

It wasn't until i moved up here that i could finally afford a nice apt, and the ease of everyday life her was such a shock to me. The thing is, when you grow up in NYC, you get used to everything being a pain in the azz, and then when you leave, you realize that life could be so much simpler. There's no need to carry a chip on your shoulder to make sure no one takes advantage of you. There's no need to get ready to argue @ the drop of a hat.

That being said, i'm still glad i grew up there and spent most of my adult life there, i just can't see myself living there anymore. If it weren't for the horrendous winters up here, i would stay. But i'm a warm-weather person, so once school is done, i'm heading to the sunshine state!
Couldnt have written this better myself. I think for anyone who grows up in NYC, anywhere else is just a lot easier to deal with. You defend the place to no end while you live there but when you actually step ot of the box and try another place (thats not located in the middle of nowhere), u do realize how much simpler life can be

Old 12-31-2009, 05:30 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Tried it........moved from NYC to South Carolina a few years ago.......moved back to NYC a few months ago and now appreciate this city probably more then I ever did before. Especially the job opportunities!!

Other states are nice, have a milder climate during the winters but that is where the discussion ends. Let's face it.......unless a person is retired or has a bank account full of money moving to other states (especially the southern states) where job opportunities are scarce and pay scales are ridiculously low can quickly turn into a nightmare. Man/woman can not live off of warm weather alone!

Old 12-31-2009, 06:28 PM

44 posts, read 137,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Tried it........moved from NYC to South Carolina a few years ago.......moved back to NYC a few months ago and now appreciate this city probably more then I ever did before. Especially the job opportunities!!

Other states are nice, have a milder climate during the winters but that is where the discussion ends. Let's face it.......unless a person is retired or has a bank account full of money moving to other states (especially the southern states) where job opportunities are scarce and pay scales are ridiculously low can quickly turn into a nightmare. Man/woman can not live off of warm weather alone!
This overlooks that such states have considerably lower costs of living, which makes the smaller salaries go much farther than in New York City. I know this well because I lived in Mississippi before moving to the New York metro area. I made more in the latter on paper, but it ended there. I was able to afford a substantially better quality of life with the smaller Mississippi salary.

That said, I still think New York is better than low-cost warm-weather states.

As for New York job opportunities, they don't seem as bounteous as they once were.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:49 PM

172 posts, read 273,751 times
Well, I lived in New York City (Greenwich Village) for a summer....I am from and live in Los Angeles now and can't wait to come back to NYC on January 19th.

Los Angeles is such a craphole. Can't wait to leave. Counting down the days ....

I've been around the world, and I loved NY (there is no other city in the US that compares) and a few others but I don't want to live in Europe full time.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:22 AM

434 posts, read 1,041,135 times
I was born in the Bronx, lived there til I was 11 than moved to metro Atlanta. I only been back a couple times since. And heck yeah I miss it. ATL is great but NYC is a one of a kind city. I don't ever see my self moving back up there due to its just too expensive and too cold(I won't move anywhere up north, ATL is cold enough!). I haven't been back since 05 and I haven't spent enough time there as an adult. So I'm planning from now for maybe spending a couple days to a week up there maybe during Memorial day. And I can't wait!

Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsherry View Post
This overlooks that such states have considerably lower costs of living, which makes the smaller salaries go much farther than in New York City. I know this well because I lived in Mississippi before moving to the New York metro area. I made more in the latter on paper, but it ended there. I was able to afford a substantially better quality of life with the smaller Mississippi salary.

That said, I still think New York is better than low-cost warm-weather states.

As for New York job opportunities, they don't seem as bounteous as they once were.
I did not overlook a thing. While SOME things are cheaper like houses there are some hidden expenses in some states that people do not know about until after they move. I was able to afford a good quality of life in South Carolina too because I took my NYC job and salary with me.....that was until I was laid off and had the opportunity to experience SC job market (or lack of one) from the perspective of the natives who were born and raised there. Many of the people that are currently relocating from NYC are transferring taking their salarys with them or they are retired........so of course if you are someone who falls into one of those categories the low cost of living in other states feels like it balances out. As for NYC job market even in this recession it is still better then the low cost of living states. This city is great not just for the quantity of jobs available but it is great because every industry on earth exists here. There is nothing that an ambitious, hardworking person can not achieve here because the sky is the limit. Yeah there are some annoyances with too many people living here, congestion and so on.....then again when a city has this much to offer it is to be expected that over 8 million has decided to call this city home. Many of the low income states do not even have 8 million people living in the entire state.....if these places were so wonderful they would have the huge population like we have here beating the door down to live in them!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
I did not overlook a thing. While SOME things are cheaper like houses there are some hidden expenses in some states that people do not know about until after they move. I was able to afford a good quality of life in South Carolina too because I took my NYC job and salary with me.....that was until I was laid off and had the opportunity to experience SC job market (or lack of one) from the perspective of the natives who were born and raised there. Many of the people that are currently relocating from NYC are transferring taking their salarys with them or they are retired........so of course if you are someone who falls into one of those categories the low cost of living in other states feels like it balances out. As for NYC job market even in this recession it is still better then the low cost of living states. This city is great not just for the quantity of jobs available but it is great because every industry on earth exists here. There is nothing that an ambitious, hardworking person can not achieve here because the sky is the limit. Yeah there are some annoyances with too many people living here, congestion and so on.....then again when a city has this much to offer it is to be expected that over 8 million has decided to call this city home. Many of the low income states do not even have 8 million people living in the entire state.....if these places were so wonderful they would have the huge population like we have here beating the door down to live in them!
Well when I moved here, I did not have a relo job. I had to find a local job. I make $7K less than NYC, but it is not that bad given that I do not pay any taxes other than federal, whereas in NY you pay every tax known to man short of a breathing tax. I do not like paying a lot of income taxes. The higher salary looks good on paper, but if you're getting taxed so much, it comes out to a classic case of six one way, half dozen the other. So I don't consider what I make "low income". At the same time, the cost of living is significantly cheaper. Low cost of living enables you to at least scrape by with a lower paying job than living in a high cost city with a low paying job. I don't have that confidence in the City. Getting laid off anywhere is a nightmare, but getting laid off in NYC would be the worst for me with its high cost of housing, food, and other necessities. My stress level would be off the chart.

Right now NYC isn't offering that much more (if at all) employment opportunities than some other cities. It is kind of an illusion that there are more jobs just because it is New York, when in fact there may not be. As for people beating down the door to live elsewhere, people are actually migrating from the NE. For example, go to the Austin board and count how many "Moving to Austin" threads - there are a lot. A bad economy, coupled with people seeking a different quality life, and lower cost of living is a boon to Southern cities like Austin. There are so many transplants down here it isn't even funny.

Now don't misunderstand - NYC is a great city. My heart will always be there. I am not, nor will be, a Texan. It isn't all golden and wonderful and sunshine. Right now, as anywhere, I wouldn't move without a job. At the same time, I really like my life here. Of course, the grass isn't always green...but I realize that at least now at 34, I do not like an urban lifestyle. At ALL. And to get what I get down here, I'd be forced to look at Westchester, and that county is ridiculously expensive. Imagine buying a 600K home there and losing my job, that would kill us. While not ideal, if I lost my job down here, we can get by for a bit on my husband's salary.

Last edited by riaelise; 01-01-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 AM

The so called low cost of living in the other states is an illusion! There is no free ride...when people think that they will escape paying too many taxes by moving from NYC.....they will move someplace else and pay that state tax for something else. One way or the other every state is going to make money off of the taxpayer. Where you save on one thing you will not on other things. I know everyone is moving around searching for a utopia....but it does not exist!

Cars~

A neccessity because there is no transportation. So now the money you save on housing and property taxes ends up being spent on car insurance, gas, car maintenance and in the case of SC vehicle property tax once a year just for a sticker that is placed on the license plate to drive on SC roads. At least here a car is an option and not a neccesity!

Food~

The food prices were just as expensive as NYC so no savings there.

Jobs~

Was out of work a long time in SC...only took me a few months to find work here in NYC even during this recession. It is not perfect but in my book still beats the heck out of any state that I have ever experienced!

No matter what city I am living in I refuse to live my life just scraping by....nobody wants to work just to pay bills, it is nice to have some money left over to enjoy. The bottom line is as much as people complain about the high cost of living here there are over 8 million people here for a reason. As far as reading other threads to see how many are moving from NYC to other areas.....how about instead looking at how many left NYC then found that the grass was not greener and moved back....I am one!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 01-01-2010 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City