Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

I was the opposite. Grew up and lived in Brooklyn apartments. :-)

We moved from Brooklyn to Orlando FL. Stayed there 17 years and then to Spring Hill, FL which is about 40 miles north of Tampa.

Yes, yardwork and maintenance is a thing you don't do in an apartment, but I find it much more satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i own my apartment....the funny thing is i grew up in a house in queens with a backyard and now i dont miss it...yardwork and maintenance being the biggest factor. call me a city dweller. where did you move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
i own my apartment....the funny thing is i grew up in a house in queens with a backyard and now i dont miss it...yardwork and maintenance being the biggest factor. call me a city dweller. where did you move to?
I grew up in the midwest with a house and backyard and I don't miss it AT ALL! I remember being little and wishing I could walk to school and being jealous of those who did.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Where are you living now?

Walking a mile to school in NYC was no fun in the snow, cold and rain. Was nice when the weather was good. Humping all those books in the warmer months was no fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I grew up in the midwest with a house and backyard and I don't miss it AT ALL! I remember being little and wishing I could walk to school and being jealous of those who did.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Where are you living now?

Walking a mile to school in NYC was no fun in the snow, cold and rain. Was nice when the weather was good. Humping all those books in the warmer months was no fun.
I walk to my college now. I live 2 long blocks and 8 short blocks away....and i carry art supplies and a portfolio...so far not too bad.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 PM

176 posts, read 730,107 times
I dont think there is right or wrong but from my experience I'll tell you this. I moved from NYC and while living here I could only afford 1 bdrm small people standing outside the apartment door for $900. I moved out of NY to PA making prob. 5k less and hubby prob. about the same. For $700 we had two bedroom apartment with two full bath, court yard, gated comunity with onsite parking, fire place, storage room two cars, dish washer, washer dryer and plenty of money left over to do whatever. We had shopping centers all over within 2 mintues each way, close to Philly for night life and only two hours from NY. Had we bought a house we would've paid about the same as rent maybe a little more and still enjoyed living a great life. Families came and visited us thought we hit the lotto as we lived in great neighborhood and had great place to live. While we were in NY we had one old car and most of the traveling was public transportation. To get that kind of living out in NY we would've had to be rich. Hubby didnt feel happy where we were and convinced us to move back. Now we own half a million dollar two family home which is all we could afford and having tenant helps us with mortgage. We are in two bedroom with two kids and space is very limited. We thought about about the suburbs but the commute and taxes just does not seem to worth it. Now hubby wishes we had bought a house where we were as our mortgage would've been no more than 1g a month, nice space, good schools and back yard. Our salary here now is 175k but even with that everything is a struggle. Living in NY when single is great, you have everything in your hands but now with kids it changes everything, if I had the money and could afford to buy a nice home with nice back yard and not have my neighbors look at me with great schools I enjoy it but you think with 175k this is good salary and mind you we live on budget.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Thank you for your story on the astonishing cost of life in NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
I dont think there is right or wrong but from my experience I'll tell you this. I moved from NYC and while living here I could only afford 1 bdrm small people standing outside the apartment door for $900. I moved out of NY to PA making prob. 5k less and hubby prob. about the same. For $700 we had two bedroom apartment with two full bath, court yard, gated comunity with onsite parking, fire place, storage room two cars, dish washer, washer dryer and plenty of money left over to do whatever. We had shopping centers all over within 2 mintues each way, close to Philly for night life and only two hours from NY. Had we bought a house we would've paid about the same as rent maybe a little more and still enjoyed living a great life. Families came and visited us thought we hit the lotto as we lived in great neighborhood and had great place to live. While we were in NY we had one old car and most of the traveling was public transportation. To get that kind of living out in NY we would've had to be rich. Hubby didnt feel happy where we were and convinced us to move back. Now we own half a million dollar two family home which is all we could afford and having tenant helps us with mortgage. We are in two bedroom with two kids and space is very limited. We thought about about the suburbs but the commute and taxes just does not seem to worth it. Now hubby wishes we had bought a house where we were as our mortgage would've been no more than 1g a month, nice space, good schools and back yard. Our salary here now is 175k but even with that everything is a struggle. Living in NY when single is great, you have everything in your hands but now with kids it changes everything, if I had the money and could afford to buy a nice home with nice back yard and not have my neighbors look at me with great schools I enjoy it but you think with 175k this is good salary and mind you we live on budget.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
I grew up in Williamsburg, Bklyn & Glendale, Queens. My parents took me to the Catskills every summer and I loved it. Hiking, swimming, canoeing, campfires. I hated the noise, crowding, filth, pressure of city living and dreamed about the day I could live in the country. The day finally came and after 2 years of living in Oneonta, NY let me tell you the realities of living full time in "Shangri-La" are quite different than childhood fantasies. It's BOOOOOOORING! Summers aren't bad but the trees & flower & fluffy clouds & chirping birds get old in a hurry but at least I can go swimming which I love. Then there's winter! Four solid months it snows & snows & snows. Most cars over 5 years old have rusted out fenders because you have to drive thru the slushy, salty, sloggy mess and you can't get anywhere without driving. Thank dog for my friends & sister that let me stay with them in NYC when I need a dose of civilization. All the things I took for granted in the city I now treasure. 24 hour a day sunlight! I never appreciated street lights before but now I get all warm & fuzzy about their warm, nurturing, enveloping, comforting glow. Here it's pitch black when the sun goes down, unless the moon happens to be out. What a magical thing the subway is. For a few bucks you can ride from one end of the Bronx to the end of Staten Island. You can get from Carnegie Hall to the beach in an hour or from almost anywhere to the airport in an hour and a half for ~$2! I'd love to move back to my homeland but finances being what they are looks like it's the Tampa area for me. I think I could cope with year round tennis, kayaking, swimming & margaritas but I'll always miss the glitter of NYC.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:29 PM

87 posts, read 106,507 times
No I dont miss it, I still have a home there and I am only a few hours away so I still avail myself of what NYC has to offer but I dont have the desire to live there. I have also lived in Rochester NY and if I had to move back to either one I would move back to Brooklyn.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 PM

44 posts, read 137,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad231 View Post
No I dont miss it, I still have a home there and I am only a few hours away so I still avail myself of what NYC has to offer but I dont have the desire to live there. I have also lived in Rochester NY and if I had to move back to either one I would move back to Brooklyn.
Where do you live now?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
well i own my apartment 2 bedroom for 850 a month, and i have a car but my wife mostly drives it i dont need it public transportation is 24/7 in nyc so i can get anywhere i want whenever i want. i dont pay utilities either. and i dont think the school thing matters so much its whether you're in the hood or not. but no disrespect to you, if u like where you're at, more power to you.
I can undertsand wanting to own your apartment as opposed to house. My parents do the same thing in Rego Park. I think the big yard and a front lawn is part of what is supposed to be the american dream, but just like marriage, that is not everyones idea of a good time.

But with all due respect, you gotta be honest seventhfloor, the apartment you're paying 850 pr/month on is located in Far Rockaway if I'm not mistaken, and thats traditionally considered one of the 2 or 3 worst areas of Queens along with South Jamaica and Queensbridge. I lived in far Rock for about 7 years and wouldnt move back there for free. Like I said, i pay 850 for a one bedroom apt. in LA, but it also comes with a parking space, a pool and the neighborhood in particular (Alhambra) is considered one of the top safest in America.

Its all about where u feel comfortable, but for me after growing up for 27 years in East new York, Bushwick and Far Rock, I had enough of the rift raft hanging out and nightly gunshots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City