Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:51 PM

240 posts, read 1,265,335 times

Advertisements

I got accepted to there so there's a possibility I might attend there but I don't know what it's like. Do most kids commute or dorm? Is the school in a safe area? Is the student body diverse? How are the professors? What's the social life like? If anyone can explain what the school is like, that'd be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:57 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
It's been a while since I went there so things probably have changed a lot.

But overall, it was a good school. It has a nice campus, and they've even added many more amenities to it since I graduated. Most out of state students probably dorm. Depending on what part of NJ your coming from and if your financially able to, it will probably make sense for you to dorm as well. The dorm rooms seem small to me, but nice. Because of the location of the dorms, there were girls in the past who said it was a little dark and scary when walking around at night though. Same goes for the parking garages.

With that said, the campus in Queens is in a good area, bordering around Jamaica Estates and Fresh Meadows. It's not easy to get to by public transportation as you will need to take a bus. In addition, the neighborhood may be nice but can be a little suburbia. There is no night life by campus with the exception of a few local bars.

I was a business major, so with all schools, professors were mixed. Some were very good, a couple seemed lazy to me, but overall a good experience for me. It has a very good pharmacy program, but their business school is average in my opinion. Personally, I think Baruch has a much better business program.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 19,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
I got accepted to there so there's a possibility I might attend there but I don't know what it's like. Do most kids commute or dorm? Is the school in a safe area? Is the student body diverse? How are the professors? What's the social life like? If anyone can explain what the school is like, that'd be great!!!

St. John's is a good school, I'm a graduating senior now so these answers should help you out alot. There's a pretty even split between commuters and dormers, however the university built several new dorms so there's been alot more dormers which has transformed the school into more residential which is great. It's definitely in a safe area, alot of Public Safety officers and NYPD always has a presence around the university. St. John's has one of the most diverse universities in the country, its incredible because you may be at lunch and talkig with your friends who are black, indian, jewish, asian and never realize their nationalities because they're all close friends. The diversity is great though because you get so many angles and different views on things. As for the social life, typical house parties, local bars (19+ to get in but you can't drink people travel into the city when it's nice out and go to greenwich village or tribeca, Soho, etc. There are tons of options, it's a great experience. Congrats on your acceptance and good luck with your decision!

Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Have you ever visited the campus? It sounds like you haven't.

Most colleges have programs where a prospective or admitted college senior can come vist campus, take lots of tours, and spend the night in a real dorm room with a current freshman. Call the admissions office and ask if St John's does this.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:55 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times
what's the tuition there? When i went, it was similar to a SUNY.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:16 PM

16 posts, read 127,493 times
I'm a graduating senior @ sju now and I wish the tuition was the same as a SUNY school lol! The tuition is outrageous at sju now btwn $30,000 and 50,000 a yr!!!! depending on grants and aid.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
Congrats first of all! I'm a graduating senior as well and the campus is really beautiful! Especially in the Spring and the Summer months! Most kids commute to sju its about 80% commuters to 20% percent dormers. Most kids are from the boros and L.I. I'm from CT so I was automatically an outsider from the jump but I really adapted to Queens since it reminds me of home. Very diverse student body. Queens is a diverse boro and probably one of the most diverse counties in the nation so the school reflects this. Met so many people from various walks of life and I loved it! The professors are a hit or miss. Some will be hella hard and some will be very easy. Just remember to check on rate my professor.com. But you won't need it until 2nd sem fresh year when you pick your classes on your own. The social life is somewhat a lil' lacking since most kids are commuters. But you can always find your own sources of fun on or off campus you just have to be outgoing and open-minded. Well, I wish you well if you decide to come to sju. Good Luck in the future!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,370 times
The campus changes are certainly an upgrade from when I went, but 30,000 for tuition would send me towards Queens College if I was a high school senior these days. That being said, I enjoyed my time at St. John's during the years I attended.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMBee View Post
I'm a graduating senior @ sju now and I wish the tuition was the same as a SUNY school lol! The tuition is outrageous at sju now btwn $30,000 and 50,000 a yr!!!! depending on grants and aid.
Wow! Is that including dorms? When I went, I believe my freshman year tuition was about $11,000.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Wow! Is that including dorms? When I went, I believe my freshman year tuition was about $11,000.
Yeah stuff changed alot lol. That's w/ the dorms plus it depends on aid. I believe if you don't get any aid its around $50,000! But I got some aid and pay half of that around $25,000. One semester at SJU is around $15,000 minus the dorms. BTW if you dont mind, when did you attend sju?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City