Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 AM

203 posts, read 662,294 times

Advertisements

If you are renting a house, you'd probably be responsible for shoveling snow depending on what it says on the lease. Can't see it being your responsibility if you live in an apartment building. Check your lease nevertheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:24 PM

991 posts, read 1,760,932 times
You should really read your lease as the NYC Administrative Code takes the view that both you and the landlord are responsible for the removal of snow and either of you can be subject penalty. The City of course has a direct course of action against the landlord as it can raise the property taxes paid by the landlord and the landlord may have protected itself from such liability by providing for the removal of snow in the lease.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:38 PM

10 posts, read 76,261 times
NYC has no part in snow removal in front of any property - that responsibility is the owners.

However, there may be something in your lease stating otherwise (most retail/commercial leases I have with my properties state the tenant is responsible for clearing all snow and ice)

Any and all violations will be inssued in the name of the owner (as well as any slip and falls claims) - with that said, there may be something in your lease that states it is the tenant's responsibility (I don't know what type of building/home you are leasing)

As with most landlord/tenant questions - read the lease. That's why it's there.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM

278 posts, read 1,515,951 times
I've lived in NYC all my life and only recently have I seen this done. However, the owner provided the tools and put it in the lease. None of the tenants had a problem with it. I'm sure they would have negotiated otherwise if they did.

Whether the city comes after the landlord if it's not done...I don't know.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 8,467 times
from nyc.gov
Property owners must create a 4 to 5-foot wide path clear of snow and ice on the sidewalk next to their property and clear snow from any bus stops or fire hydrants on those sidewalks. You cannot shovel snow into the traffic lanes of a street.

Property owners must clear snow according to the following rules:

If snowfall ends between 7:00 AM and 5:00 PM, you must clear sidewalks within four hours.
If snowfall ends between 5:00 PM and 7:00 AM, you must clear sidewalks before 11:00 AM.
The City may issue you a summons for failure to clear the sidewalks within these timeframes.

It says Property owners!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM

979 posts, read 4,440,169 times
Commercial lease of a store usually obligates the tenant to shovel the snow. Maybe if you had a net lease of an entire residential building it would be in the lease.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:04 PM

979 posts, read 4,440,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclv View Post
from nyc.gov

It says Property owners!
Property owners are responsible but it doesn't preclude how they do it. If a tenant agrees to do for a reduction in rent, not unheard of, then the tenant has to do it on the LL's behalf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City