U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 02:34 PM

3 posts, read 25,544 times

Advertisements

Moving to pa but still work in nyc>>what city/town is closest to nyc
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 02:38 PM

2,867 posts, read 4,577,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaHHHH View Post
Moving to pa but still work in nyc>>what city/town is closest to nyc
My niece moved to the Allentown area and there are many which commute daily to the city to work. It's about 1.5 hours to the Lincoln tunnel, and then.................???? You get the picture.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:41 PM

893 posts, read 2,733,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
My niece moved to the Allentown area and there are many which commute daily to the city to work. It's about 1.5 hours to the Lincoln tunnel, and then.................???? You get the picture.
My mom moved to the Allentown area and works in JFK. They work the night shift so they are always going against traffic.

Getting to the holland tunnel usually takes 1.5 hours. Once driving from Queens to Allentown it took me and my brother 6 hours.

Is it worth it? How about far out Suffolk county atleast than you have the rail road.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:40 PM

8 posts, read 43,616 times
Philadelphia is closest. Without traffic, it's only about an hour and a half drive to NYC.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:04 PM

4,502 posts, read 12,960,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
How about far out Suffolk county atleast than you have the rail road.

The cost of living in Suffolk County is outrageous -- much more than PA. Not to mention, the poster will be paying an additional $200+ for a monthly railroad pass and, of course, his car, car insurance, etc since you cannot live in Suffolk County without a car.

The OP is better off in PA or even parts of NJ.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 AM

10,918 posts, read 29,641,946 times
Easton is at least 20 minutes closer to the city than Allentown or Philadelphia. And, East Stroudsburg is perhaps an hour and twenty minutes from Manhattan, and worth considering as well. Philadelphia has an advantage if you are commuting via rail to Penn.

You can catch a bus from Easton to Newark and then take the PATH, or you can take a bus the entire route to the city. There might be a bus that serves Newark from East Stroudsburg as well. If you're in Midtown, the direct bus to the Port Authority might be better, but for downtown, the PATH would save time.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-04-2010, 07:24 AM

176 posts, read 694,735 times
Philadelphia is a skip and a hop away and bucks county is even closer. If you are going against traffic you can be in NY in about an hour and twenty minutes. It is fairly quick. Now if you get stuck in traffic than than that is another story. The down part is Philadelphia is a little more on the expensive side because it is a big city and close to NY.

You're doing the right thing because NY is very expensive and if you go to LI the taxes are insane. I am in the same situation and I have been weighing on what I should do, my husband hours are great so he can get to work without any issues since he works from 3pm until midnight but I have a great job and if they allowed me to work from home I be gone in a minute guess we'll have to see.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 AM

6,966 posts, read 19,696,301 times
Quote:
Now if you get stuck in traffic than than that is another story.
oh yeah, totally different story. sometimes it takes a hour & 20 mins to get to the holland tunnel but then it takes another hour and 20 mins to get through the holland tunnel

Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 AM

10,918 posts, read 29,641,946 times
You can count on getting stuck in traffic with the tunnels inbound, unless you're a completely off-peak commuter and travel between the construction hours and rush hour.

And, attempting to leave the city can be just as bad, just look at a couple of days last week for a guide on the worst-case scenarios.

The GWB can be better, however, but you would still need to drive the HH/WSH into Midtown/Lower Manhattan. There are also some buses that use the GWB Terminal as opposed to the Port Authority, which can get you directly on the subway. And, the GWB can be moving (though not at speed) when the other Hudson Crossings are stopped.

The fastest way, however, during rush hour from NJ is going to be via rail, so a rail connection to the Lehigh Valley, Poconos, Philadelphia, etc. is more reliable.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-14-2017, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 18,589 times
Default Updates on Traveling to PA from NYC

I notice that the last post about traveling to PA from NYC and vice versa was from 2010. Does anybody have any updates for 2017? I am thinking about moving to Philly and working in NYC. I want current data. I want to know the most economical way to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City