Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is fair to say ENY is as bad as it has always been. We know it is better than the low point of the early 90.s That being said, it is now getting substantially worse than similar higher-cimre communities...and nobody has any answers why.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think it is fair to say ENY is as bad as it has always been. We know it is better than the low point of the early 90.s That being said, it is now getting substantially worse than similar higher-cimre communities...and nobody has any answers why.
I think the name keeps it that way. Like its is a seperate NY. Gotta be harder mentality.

I woerked one weekend doing bouncing castle parties. Went from Alpine, NJ to ENY. If thats not night and day, I do not know what is.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:48 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
@ sobroguy, its the same thing. statistics do show a trend that for the most part is true about NYC but if you were to ask anybody who has lived on Mother Gaston for the last 30 years and see if theres been any difference in that neighborhood, they'll tell you plain out no. Maybe ENY is not dropping bodies because of faster reaction times and new medical equipment so it makes the crime rate seem lower but the reality is that this neighborhood is and has always been bad. Its slightly worse than its recently been over the last 2 or 3 years but its always been this way.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 PM

157 posts, read 394,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ sobroguy, its the same thing. statistics do show a trend that for the most part is true about NYC but if you were to ask anybody who has lived on Mother Gaston for the last 30 years and see if theres been any difference in that neighborhood, they'll tell you plain out no. Maybe ENY is not dropping bodies because of faster reaction times and new medical equipment so it makes the crime rate seem lower but the reality is that this neighborhood is and has always been bad. Its slightly worse than its recently been over the last 2 or 3 years but its always been this way.
You make a really valid point on the new medical treatment. The U.S. Army established a program within the vicinities of those neighborhoods because they receive so many gunshot/stabbing victims. It's good training for medics.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
Taking a tour of the extensive neighborhood of ENY I dont think there is one safe zone in the neighborhood.
Cypress Hills would be that safe zone.

ENY is too big to not find one "safe zone".

Old 12-04-2010, 09:38 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Again im not comparing or having a contest with anybody but anyone who says that East NY or Brownsville haven't historically been the worst areas in brooklyn have either lived in Bushwick or crown heights their whole lives without stepping foot into East NY and Brownsville or plain out dont know what they're talking about. These neighborhoods have consistently ranked among the bottom five for the last 25 years. ENY has led NYC numerous times in worst crime rate. Where Bushwick maybe was number one or two in the early 90s, these areas have been plagued with nothing but corrupt cops and violence for years more than any other neighborhood ive seen in NYC. I have family in both Southsides (Queens and Bronx) I live right by Bushwick and had friends that lived over there (it was bad dont get me wrong but it was just like ENY back in the 90s) and Ive been in Crown Heights where the Jews live now and there were always good parts and terrible parts. The worse parts obviously outweighed the good ones but you had a few safe zones. Taking a tour of the extensive neighborhood of ENY I dont think there is one safe zone in the neighborhood. Starrett city may have expensive apartments but that area is filled with hood rats also cause those are rent-controlled apartments and unless you're either dead broke or rich you wouldnt live there. And considering the area im assuming theres not that many rich folks in those PJs. Im telling you, both areas need major work. They've tried to fix ENY, tried to put buildings in the empty burned down apartment building lots to make the neighborhood cleaner. They've tried putting a mall in there and creating jobs, they've shut down all the bad schools and have replaced them with charter schools, and still the neighborhood is just as bad as its always been.

Call me a pessimist but although I dont regret where I came from, I dont see either neighborhood changing anytime soon.
Bushwick was Brooklyn's south Bronx and Harlem. Bushwick was a bombed out mess. Look at any videos of Bushwick from the 80's and you see vacant lots for miles. Now, this wasn't as bad as the south BX but it was a pretty big mess. You also had tons of youth gangs patrolling the streets. Drugs were plentiful, so plentiful in fact that you had Knickerbocker ave being called the well for it's seemingly endless supply of drugs. Look at any big sting drug operation in the early 90's and you'd see that it was centralized in Bushwick. As for the murder rate, Bushwick was tops

1990:

83rd Precinct (Bushwick) : 75 murders per 100,000
73rd Precinct (Brownsville) : 71 murders per 100,000
75th Precinct (East NY) : 68 murders per 100,000

ehh correction. I just did Bed-stuy (79th and 81st precincts)...it was tops with a murder rate of 86.5 per 100,000.

The point stands however that there were more murderous neighborhoods than Brownsville and East NY in Brooklyn back 20 years ago.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
LOL... i have the same question. OD research just to prove a simple point. All I am saying is that if you look at the overall numbers (remember, there is more to crime than murder), and its been said many times, East NY/Brownsville (those neighborhoods and very closely associated) have been constantly ranked as the worst in the city. It has led the statistics numerous times. Perhaps its true that people didn't die there as much, but there was also more effort to stop the violence in East NY than in Bushwick. This was due to the fact that Brookdale for years and years received the most gunshot victims in the country.

Maybe that had something to do with the murder rate, who knows. Again this is all speculation but the point stands that overall crime, East NY really was as bad as it gets in terms of crime in this country and to this day still is.

I mean a simple way to prove this would be to ask people around not only in todays times but back then as well, if you were given the choice between the worst parts of Bushwick or the worst parts of East NY which would you prefer? Which neighborhood is worse? Which one scares you more? I think youd see East NY be the answer to that question majority of the time. It became the most infamous of all the Brooklyn Neighborhoods, then followed by Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights and then Bushwick.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
East Harlem strollers beware -- Most of those stopped and frisked in 23rd Precinct are arrested

I wonder if Bloomberg will realize how unsuccessful and discriminating this program has been?!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 AM

810 posts, read 837,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
East Harlem strollers beware -- Most of those stopped and frisked in 23rd Precinct are arrested

I wonder if Bloomberg will realize how unsuccessful and discriminating this program has been?!
You only have the druggies to blame for this, "home of the haze" they call it. The city is going to allow cops to gravitate to areas were a lot of drug deals occurs. Other area that are more subtle about it in Queens, don't get that many S&F. It also doesn't help having the increase of muggings in the UES.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:51 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
You only have the druggies to blame for this, "home of the haze" they call it. The city is going to allow cops to gravitate to areas were a lot of drug deals occurs. Other area that are more subtle about it in Queens, don't get that many S&F. It also doesn't help having the increase of muggings in the UES.
That's not a justifiable excuse. Look at the map: Map of New York City Police Stops - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Please explain how some precincts that are overwhelmingly white have a high percentage for stopping and frisking non-white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City