Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 09:45 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,885 times

Advertisements

High schoolers knife two in subway

Midtown gang beatdown ends with innocent 15-year-old boy knifed in face and needing 100 stitches

And those are in addition to the three yesterday this week.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,914 times
From the NY Post Crime Blotter:

"Police responding to a call of a "suspicious bag" in East New York discovered a man shot to death in a shopping cart.
Cops were called at about 3 p.m. Saturday to the corner of Schenck and Pitkin avenues, where they found the unidentified man with a gunshot to the head.
His body had been wrapped in a black plastic bag."

Horrible crime but no surprise at the neighborhood it occurred in.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
That happens in every neighborhood where drugs are involved..it just so happens this one has more than its fair share.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 AM

From the NY Post Crime Blotter:

"A young man was shot to death yesterday in the Fort Greene housing project where he lived.
Joshua Vasquez, 23, was struck twice in the chest shortly before 3 p.m. on the grounds of the Raymond Ingersoll houses.
Vasquez, who had prior arrests for attempted murder, drug dealing and harassment, later died at Brooklyn Hospital.
No arrests were made."

This is the second murder in the Fort Greene PJs in two weeks. Hopefully, this is not a trend.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 AM

NYPD boss Raymond Kelly: Police will have to continue to do more with less

Does anyone feel this will have a big effect on crime? Me personally, I'm pretty confident that police in low income neighborhoods such as South Bronx & ENY will be taken away before they start in the upper/middle class neighborhoods, therefore making a way for crime to increase.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:47 PM

NJnyckid..quite honestly...the reality is Mr. Vazquez was cleary heavily involved in the drug trade..so this is not reprentative of crime that you (hopefully) or I, or average NYers should worry about. If you are involved in the drug trade, whether you are in bofo, oklahoma, or East New York...your fate will likely be the same. As for your comment "hopefully this is not a trend"...well it has been the trend in NYC for well over a hundred years....and most of the world for that matter since the dawn of time, most recently bootleggers of alcohol, the mob, drug cartels, gangs....this is way past a trend dude. What do all of these people have in common? Illicit and dangerous activities. What is the lesson? Stay out of that nonsense and you won't be murdered or a victim of crime.

Regarding your concern about crime..the answer to this is quite simple. If Kelly wants to essentially kill people by pulling cops from higher crime neighborhoods like Brownsville, so that he can prove a point that we need more cops..then that is what he will do. If he actually wants to do more with less, he will maintain a strong presence in higher crime communities, which is the driving force for crime in NYC, and ease up on the lower crime communities. If you want to keep crime going down in NYC, you focus on where the crime is...will he do that or prove a point? Let's see.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
NJnyckid..quite honestly...the reality is Mr. Vazquez was cleary heavily involved in the drug trade..so this is not reprentative of crime that you (hopefully) or I, or average NYers should worry about. If you are involved in the drug trade, whether you are in bofo, oklahoma, or East New York...your fate will likely be the same. As for your comment "hopefully this is not a trend"...well it has been the trend in NYC for well over a hundred years....and most of the world for that matter since the dawn of time, most recently bootleggers of alcohol, the mob, drug cartels, gangs....this is way past a trend dude. What do all of these people have in common? Illicit and dangerous activities. What is the lesson? Stay out of that nonsense and you won't be murdered or a victim of crime.
When I say hopefully this is not a trend, I was speaking of the gun violence in the Fort Greene PJs, not crime in general. I think you know that. As for the rest of that quote, everybody already knows this stuff.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:19 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
/\ Sobro, what you fail to realize is bullets don't have names on them. Sure, you can poo-poo a couple dealers going at it.......until a ricoche(sp) bounces off and hits a child.

This comment is extremely un-PC, but all it takes is a upper-income gentrifier to get shot and gentrification of said nabe is in serious peril. Alot of these newbie kids come from sheltered lives, and I'm afriad "Captain Kelly" doesn't realize the minute things start to get a little too "real" in many areas, then the yuppie-condo-starbucks economy Bloomberg has been building comes crashing down.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:28 AM

As a 3rd generation resident of a higher crime community, I most certainly do not fail to realize anything regarding crime. And Shizzles, I think you give people way too little credit...how do you know alot of these "newbie" kids come from sheltered lives? Based on what information exactly? Stereotypes? The one kid interviewed in the daily news?

The reality is people of color are really the ones moving into neighborhoods and supposedly "gentrifying" them...but what makes headlines is the random 3 trust fund kids in a Bed-Stuy brownstone and then people like you make uninformed statements and promote stereotypes. Harlem "gentrification"? It's due predominantly by people of color...the white population now stands at a whopping 6%! And few, if any, are kids from sheltered lives who are hiding under a chair in starbucks. Let's get real Shizzles.

The fact remains, if you keep your nose clean, you are extremely and highly unlikely to be a victim. Period. As for your comment about upper income gentrifier getting shot, you mean a WHITE upper income gentrifier getting shot, because the reality is the upper income gentrifier who is a person of color, and the group "gentrifying" poor communities, would not put anything in serious peril unfortunately.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:14 PM

157 posts, read 394,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
/\ Sobro, what you fail to realize is bullets don't have names on them. Sure, you can poo-poo a couple dealers going at it.......until a ricoche(sp) bounces off and hits a child.

This comment is extremely un-PC, but all it takes is a upper-income gentrifier to get shot and gentrification of said nabe is in serious peril. Alot of these newbie kids come from sheltered lives, and I'm afriad "Captain Kelly" doesn't realize the minute things start to get a little too "real" in many areas, then the yuppie-condo-starbucks economy Bloomberg has been building comes crashing down.
I could not agree more with you Shizzles. These newcomers have NO idea how bad the monster can act up when 5-0 isn't around. One yuppie gets shot and killed from a ricochet and gentrification will be in peril in that neighborhood. I see Fort Greene, gentrified parts of Bed-Stuy and Williamsburg as potential candidates.

Hey Sobroguy, still think I'm all about conspiracies and scare-tactics?

Police Commissioner Ray thinks budget cuts could turn back time to 1990 in NYPD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City