Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,635 times

Advertisements

I'm from the hunts point section of the South Bronx, and crime has noticeably decreased but I'm sure it'll spike sooner or later... I know and chill with a lot of thugs, their mentalities have not changed and life is only getting rougher and almost impossible to overcome nowadays. Access to weapons is unbelievably easy and gangs are only rising. People are seeing the effects of the recession, but only the beginning effects... over a period of time, things are going to get to the point where its inevitable for many people to survive by crime.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:16 PM

157 posts, read 394,800 times
Hey Sobroguy why are you so bent on convincing everyone that this city is invincible to economic depression and any sort of rising crime? You deny the allegations of fudging crime stats.

Anyway I just do it to **** you off Sobroguy.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:18 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Jaged have you really resorted to trying to create controversy or make us believe crime is on the rise by saying "second week in a row crime increased". I mean really..2 weeks in a row! You failed to mention that 15 YEARS in a row crime DECREASED. But that's not a story..who cares...it has increased 2 weeks in a row! Why are some trying to fear monger on this site? Let's try and be reasonable here..."second week in a row crime increased" is not a valid statistic or matters in any way, except for those that can't find anything else to support their allegations.

Builditdense...I agree in general with your above post.
While I agree that the alarmism is not healthy nor helping, people need to realize that "Every Avalanche begins w/ a snowflake".

NY has had an incredible run with regards to lowering crime levels, and it's human nature to wonder weither the luck is about to run out. Despite all the hysteria over "gentrification", there's still plenty of street element still residing in the 5 boroughs, and it's not like they all got legit after the 90s.

IMHO, once a new drug hits the streets, it's all over. Not just here, but in most poor communites in the US in general. Couple that with Bloomie cutting NYPD funding and the poor economy taking the wind out of gentrification, the crime bomb is already ticking.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:26 AM

674 posts, read 1,813,579 times
Well I personally been seeing an increase since 05 but it's not 91 so I'm good.

For me within 5 years SOMETHING will happen which will lead to a HUGE increase maybe a new drug or the recession will start showing itself in NYC but when it happens it will be the kind of crime wave that can undo 5 years of progress ( not that we've made any)

Old 02-12-2010, 06:02 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,831 times
Just checked Gothamist and it's already a few shootings in the BX (and one in Queens), it's not even 10 yet. When it comes to crime in NYC, I'm sure if the BX will ever stop being a major facet in it. Yeah there's other neighborhoods that rank on top, but it seems as a borough the Bronx will a way harder time losing that image.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Just checked Gothamist and it's already a few shootings in the BX (and one in Queens), it's not even 10 yet. When it comes to crime in NYC, I'm sure if the BX will ever stop being a major facet in it. Yeah there's other neighborhoods that rank on top, but it seems as a borough the Bronx will a way harder time losing that image.
If Brownsville/ENY are 10's in crime ( 1-10 10 being highest) ...

The Bronx has a bunch of 8's and 9's.....thats what sets it apart....and some years some hoods reach 10's....I mean just count how many hoods in the Bronx would be 8 and over:

Mott Haven, Melorse, Hunts Point, Morrisania, Concourse, West Farms, East Tremont, Highbridge, Morris Heights, Tremont, University Heights, Belmont, Fordham, Soundview, Fordham-Bedford...

and the Co-op city section 5.....WPR area of Wakefied....and parts of Norwood/Bedford pk....basically even the ok neighborhoods hav hot spots.

Is crazy how much of the borough is high crime.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:17 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
If Brownsville/ENY are 10's in crime ( 1-10 10 being highest) ...

The Bronx has a bunch of 8's and 9's.....thats what sets it apart....and some years some hoods reach 10's....I mean just count how many hoods in the Bronx would be 8 and over:

Mott Haven, Melorse, Hunts Point, Morrisania, Concourse, West Farms, East Tremont, Highbridge, Morris Heights, Tremont, University Heights, Belmont, Fordham, Soundview, Fordham-Bedford...

and the Co-op city section 5.....WPR area of Wakefied....and parts of Norwood/Bedford pk....basically even the ok neighborhoods hav hot spots.

Is crazy how much of the borough is high crime.
Yeah, theres a big ratio of bad neighborhoods to good ones in The Bronx. I hate the fact if I was to live in a decent neighborhood, I would be SURROUNDED by sub-par ones.

In Brooklyn it's much easier to avoid the bad neighborhoods. All the bad ones are in the north or the east. (Exception to Coney Island). Most of South Brooklyn is very nice and you don't have to worry about being in the vicinity of bad neighborhoods. In my neighborhood of Sunset Park, to the north lies Park Slope, to the south is Bay Ridge, and to the east is Borough Park/Kensington. All neighborhoods that regularly have less than 2 murders a year. (My neighborhood being the only bad apple with 8 last year)

Crown Heights, Brownsville, East NY and East Flatbush are probably the worst of Brooklyn.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
Yeah, theres a big ratio of bad neighborhoods to good ones in The Bronx. I hate the fact if I was to live in a decent neighborhood, I would be SURROUNDED by sub-par ones.

In Brooklyn it's much easier to avoid the bad neighborhoods. All the bad ones are in the north or the east. (Exception to Coney Island). Most of South Brooklyn is very nice and you don't have to worry about being in the vicinity of bad neighborhoods. In my neighborhood of Sunset Park, to the north lies Park Slope, to the south is Bay Ridge, and to the east is Borough Park/Kensington. All neighborhoods that regularly have less than 2 murders a year. (My neighborhood being the only bad apple with 8 last year)

Crown Heights, Brownsville, East NY and East Flatbush are probably the worst of Brooklyn.

And Crown Heights/Bed-Stuy aren't even that out of control, too boot.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
And Crown Heights/Bed-Stuy aren't even that out of control, too boot.
Crown Heights was never that bad to me, but I think Bed-Stuy kinda deserves it's rep. If you combine the two precincts (79th & 81st) into one, the homicide count would be higher than the 75th (ENY).

Andez, I'm not that familiar with Sunset Park, but it's crazy how different the neighborhoods are to north and south of it. SP kinda stick out like sore thumb in South Brooklyn for it's look and crime. Why do you think it hasn't cleaned up to the levels of Park Slope or Bay Ridge?

Old 02-14-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Crown Heights was never that bad to me, but I think Bed-Stuy kinda deserves it's rep. If you combine the two precincts (79th & 81st) into one, the homicide count would be higher than the 75th (ENY).

Andez, I'm not that familiar with Sunset Park, but it's crazy how different the neighborhoods are to north and south of it. SP kinda stick out like sore thumb in South Brooklyn for it's look and crime. Why do you think it hasn't cleaned up to the levels of Park Slope or Bay Ridge?
Sunset Park was a largley blue collar nabe for the Docks along the BQE. In the 1950s, contanierization(sp) caused alot of the old NYC docklands to become obsolete for modern shipping (same happened to Red Hook and the Hudson piers), and hence the Port Authority shifted focus to NJ, where their was more space for modern ports.

As w/ any nabe that loses economic purpose, people slowly left, and newly arrived Hispanics, making the unfortunate mistake of assuming their was still blue collar jobs there, came in. Poverty sets in. It's gotten better it seems since the Mexicans and Chinese have come in w/ their entrepenureship.

Bay Ridge was always a middle-upper income commuter burb, and the Orthodox run Borough Park, so basically Sunset park became something of a nabe unto itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City