Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times

Advertisements

I don't know but the sights and sounds of police vehicles speeding multiple times a day is very very annoying, and it's getting worse (better to some).

I agree with the 2 above posters although I don't necessarily feel it has to do with age. I wasn't around to see the 70's & 80's but I have seen a lot, I'm very desensitized but I recognize that 2010 is unlike any year I've really payed any attention to. I recognize that all the "scary headlines" are actually sad stories, you can't really brush that (nowadays in general) off like it's nothing by bringing up the 70's-90's. I'm not with the fear mongering either.

The Police presence has greatly expanded in South Jamaica & Jamaica and it's very annoying but necessary I guess, if they're going extra hard now I can only imagine the amount of stuff that has gone undetected.

Edit: Damn they're at it again but in a different direction. -__-

Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I can't say I am desensitized to crime, but I am probably more desensitized than the average person (if that makes sense). There are notable flare ups in communities, some that aren't surprising, like East NY. But when you step back and realize alot of neighborhoods, and even similar higher crime nabes to East NY (like Mott Haven/Hunts Point) are not seeing flare ups, you have to wonder...why not?

I think we should be looking at those higher crime neighborhoods that are spiking versus similar higher crime neighborhoods that are remaining stable, and find out why some are showing substantial increases while others are not. If these nieghborhoods were always the same/similar in regards to crime rates, what's the difference now? Cop presence? Policing strategies? Higher unemployment? Less investment in the community? We can likely get some very valuable information by analyzing/comparing these precincts.

And do we consider it a success if we end up with a few notoriously higher crime communities having the bulk of the increases in crime, like East NY, whereas most other higher crime communities and the regular lower crime communities remain about the same or even decline in some cases? I would reluctantly say yes in the bigger picture, although it's not okay to let some communities slip into a more dangerous place.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:00 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Meanwhile,back in Chicago,a city less than 1/2 the size of NY.......
Chicago Violence: At Least 52 Shot, Seven Dead Over The Weekend (UPDATED)

Just thought some NY'ers should be reminded what a real crime wave is like.
OK,back to NY.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Meanwhile,back in Chicago,a city less than 1/2 the size of NY.......
Chicago Violence: At Least 52 Shot, Seven Dead Over The Weekend (UPDATED)

Just thought some NY'ers should be reminded what a real crime wave is like.
OK,back to NY.
dont let any chicago posters see that because they will bash you , let them celebrate their decrease in crime this year and lets worry about our increase thank you.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:46 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
i still want to know if theirs any crime map for nyc 2010.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
@ sobroguy like you've said before it seems as if the main spikes in violent crime are in Brooklyn. To offer up a reason, here's what may be the reason and again this is just a theory but some people have twisted mindsets. With the growing number of hipsters and yuppies coming into different parts of Brooklyn (Bushwick, Fort Greene Bedstuy, East Williamsburg, Red Hook etc.), that tough grimey reputation that this neighborhood has always been synonymous with was losing its edge. The mentality of a thug is that they want their neighborhood to be harder than any other neighborhood so if they feel that vibe slipping away there gonna do something about it. I think we're seeing that in effect now. Again just a theory but I know alot of people that have that mentality and its unfortunate but thats how some people in the hood think and will always think.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ sobroguy like you've said before it seems as if the main spikes in violent crime are in Brooklyn. To offer up a reason, here's what may be the reason and again this is just a theory but some people have twisted mindsets. With the growing number of hipsters and yuppies coming into different parts of Brooklyn (Bushwick, Fort Greene Bedstuy, East Williamsburg, Red Hook etc.), that tough grimey reputation that this neighborhood has always been synonymous with was losing its edge. The mentality of a thug is that they want their neighborhood to be harder than any other neighborhood so if they feel that vibe slipping away there gonna do something about it. I think we're seeing that in effect now. Again just a theory but I know alot of people that have that mentality and its unfortunate but thats how some people in the hood think and will always think.
I am sorry but are you trying to say that in theory the spike in crime in Brooklyn has to do with Hipsters and Yuppies wanting to move to some of these hoods? If so, that is the dumbest thinking I have ever heard! There are drug wars going on. Its been happening for years. This year seem to have gotten worse though. Gangs killing each other is what is making the spike in murders. They are not killing other thugs because they don't want hipsters and Yuppies to move there to make a point how 'hard' their neighborhood supposed to be. They are killing each other because of some sort of drug problems. That is the biggest problem in these hoods. Too many young people involve with drugs and guns.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:27 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Maybe it's really simple and the increase in the murder rate is happening in neighborhoods where there is a lot of gang conflict.It would make sense that in a recession there would be increased competition over territory.

It seems like 90% of the murders in the city are gang/drug related anyway, so it might help to understand the reason if instead of talking about an increase in the murder rate, we talk about it in terms of a spike in gang/drug related murders,since that's what it is.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
You know NYC crime rate is bad when people watching
tennis at Arthur Ashe Stadium are beating each other
up.

YouTube - A fight broke out between spectators at US Open Arthur Ashe Stadium

Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
@ cyrusjul you really need to calm down. dont pee on yourself over a post. I was just saying a possible reason and i said it twice it was just a theory, so relax. What you said is beyond obvious so theres no reason to mention it but that stuff that you've mentioned has been going on for years. The question was what do you think the specific increase in Brooklyns violent crime rate has to do with. You still in your answer didn't offer up a reason for the crime rate rising. You just said that gang wars are killing people and you dont know why. Im trying to provide that for you. I never said that its the reason and im not downing hipsters or yuppies but im just telling you how some of the hood people think because I still go to the hood everyday. Its where I grew up and its all I know. To give you an example and I've seen first hand so dont call me delusional or idiotic cause when you tear down someone else's to make your point you only make yourself look idiotic (jus saying)... If a Brooklyn person was to go to CT or Mass or Philly 10 years ago and say they're from Brooklyn they'd get instant respect because everyone knew about how NYC was. Now people in these areas are knocking Brooklyn saying its gotten soft and things like that because of the gentrification thats taking place all over Brooklyn. To some people thats an insult to say that their neighborhood is going soft so they act tougher, bang harder, deal more frequently, do whatever they have to do to get reputation back. (AGAIN JUST A POSSIBLE REASON, NOT SAYING ITS THE REAL REASON). I wonder if we could actually have a calm conversation with people on these threads without them taking the offensive rout every single time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City