Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 05:43 PM

650 posts, read 1,323,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon I agree that the kids have the mentality that if they are not part of some group, which may be an "official gang" or something similar, then they will be a target or whatever. I think that is how human beings in general are, and how we have survived as a species, not as loners, but as part of groups. The problem is these groups are BAD, however I believe alot of these kids grow out of it and move on in life. Many don't though.
I have to agree here.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 AM

157 posts, read 394,120 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/ny...l?ref=nyregion

The NYPD is more sketchy than a late night stroll through Coney Island.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,280,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGED View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/ny...l?ref=nyregion

The NYPD is more sketchy than a late night stroll through Coney Island.
Interesting read, thanks for posting it.

I don't see what's the big deal about having to hide low level crime stats, bad enough everything is already skewed lol. I see no harm in sharing this, the fact that it's hidden in the first place is more suspect than if it'd turned out to be alarmingly high imo.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM

160 posts, read 1,678,504 times
I don't see the big deal with hiding non index crimes.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Interesting read, thanks for posting it.

I don't see what's the big deal about having to hide low level crime stats, bad enough everything is already skewed lol. I see no harm in sharing this, the fact that it's hidden in the first place is more suspect than if it'd turned out to be alarmingly high imo.
Well, you can figure from the article that it is a high possibility that the NYPD are fudging major crimes by renaming them and placing them in the lower crime categories. We can't see the misdemeanor crime stats so we can't compare major felonies to minor ones. If we could I am almost positive that there would some serious and obvious manipulating patterns in the categorization of crime stats. Interesting that NYC and Newburgh are the only cities in the country that don't show the minor crimes.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,556,581 times
Man gunned down outside Brooklyn donut shop, police say, suspect in custody
Weekend gunfire kills three, including Brooklyn teen Derron Clarke

6 people killed in 2 days... pretty sad. As for the story JARED posted, I couldn't believe that they let a serial rapist basically go by in Bed Stuy.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 PM

88 posts, read 365,374 times
I don't like crime statistics. I think it's pretty obvious there are some areas in NYC where crime is a big concern. This will continue as long as there is strong concentrated poverty and disparity that breeds social issues. Crime is down in the city for sure, I mean there are a lot less crime prone areas versus 15 years ago. However a lot of stuff has definately been pushed underground, especially involving drugs and sex.

I especially hate how the city brags out having a low crime rate. I've been all over the world and the safe areas feel no safer than anywhere else and the violent crime prone areas suffer from the same ills as anywhere else. Well then again I feel much more likely to get scammed or pick pocketed in midtown than I do most downtowns due to enviornmental factors. I also feel more at risk for events like terrorism for obvious reasons. Main thing I would say is there are less crime prone areas in NYC than say Detroit, well in terms if percentages of the city. NYC has a number of low crime neighborhoods. Still there are parts of the city dealing with the same levels of violence as the worst in the "most dangerous".

Forget the stats, who cares about crimes commited, you already failed when it gets to that point. Lets focusing on stopping this before it occures. Parenting, education, opportunities.

My 2 cents...

Old 11-09-2010, 08:31 AM

Brooklyn man among three killed in shootings 10 minutes apart rough start to the week

Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,337,360 times
It's been quiet here lately..was wondering when the headlines would show up. Yup people got murdered in NYC...never heard that before! Wonder if drugs were involved..nahh..can't be.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,556,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It's been quiet here lately..was wondering when the headlines would show up. Yup people got murdered in NYC...never heard that before! Wonder if drugs were involved..nahh..can't be.
Well you know everyone has a position to fill. I provide the headlines, you say we're using scare tactics and crime's not that bad, etc. The cycle has to keep going .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.