Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Last year salaries surged 40%, to an average of $160 a month,

peanuts to what u need to survive in NYC. im sorry but this isnt a good example.
It's an example. You said "give me a real life example", not "give me a real life example in NYC". This is economics in action. This will not happen in NYC because there is no shortage of workers in NYC.

My Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Mod cut If there is a shortage of workers, wages will increase and so will the final price of their product. They will not pay higher wages because even at minimum wage, there will be someone willing to work. You have no way of knowing whether their employees are legal immigrants or not.
Your Post:

Quote:
give me a real life example of when a company increased wage because of this and i will let the debate rest.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
How do you know that this person won't be a citizen? You are assuming.
i am assuming but in all honesty there is a higher chance of it occurring, so lets not turn a blind eye towards it. day laborers are a big issue in the city already.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
affordable housing + section 8 do not equal drug dealing lowlifes.
Go head. You tell me. So what does:

Affordable housing + section 8 + welfare + food stamps equal what?

What kind of NY demographic is associated with the above?

What kind of demographic is associated with thug-life?

What kind of demographic is associated with NY crimes?

What is the demographic make up of workers earning minimum wage?

What demographic is complaining about low wage jobs for flipping burgers and attending cash registers?

Quote:
wow with that attitude it is evident that you see that the guy who sells u your newspaper, the guy that pumps your gas, the guy that rings up your groceries doesnt have a place in this city. well, to hell with it, replace them all with robots and maybe you'll be satisfied.
Actually, if you replaced them with robots, I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • There are vending machines that sell newspaper.
  • Many gas pumps are self-serve.
  • There are self-checkout lines in grocery stores.

Quote:
It's an example. You said "give me a real life example", not "give me a real life example in NYC". This is economics in action. This will not happen in NYC because there is no shortage of workers in NYC.

My Post:

Your Post:
yeah but you are comparing china's economy to nyc.....apples and oranges.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Actually, if you replaced them with robots, I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • There are vending machines that sell newspaper.
  • Many gas pumps are self-serve.
  • There are self-checkout lines in grocery stores.
and when any of these machines needs to be serviced, who will do it? lol.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
yeah but you are comparing china's economy to nyc.....apples and oranges.
So given that there is no shortage of workers in NYC, wages can be kept low, and you can push low-income people out as long as there will be someone willing to work for you.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
i am assuming but in all honesty there is a higher chance of it occurring, so lets not turn a blind eye towards it. day laborers are a big issue in the city already.
So let the illegal immigrant work the minimum wage (or below min. wage) job. I have no problem with that.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM

172 posts, read 590,144 times
Quote:
Who says they need to live close to their place of employment? Nobody is entitled to housing that is close to their place of employment.
nobody is saying that you're entitled to live across the street from your job, but you shouldnt have to live 2 hours away in another town or state either. In a city as big as new york there should be room for everyone to co exist...rich, poor,black,white they should all have access to decent neighborhoods with a decent lifestyle....Everyone should be able to take thier kid to yankee stadium or use the parks on randalls island or go to a museum not just the richest people...if you look back at history, in the 40's and 50's most of the city was working class...even in manhattan neigborhoods like the upper west side and hell's kithchen....in order for a city to be a city there should be room for everyone

Old 01-03-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
and when any of these machines needs to be serviced, who will do it? lol.
People service them. But it is cheaper to hire one skilled mechanic to service many machines than to hire and pay many unskilled cashiers / gas pumpers / whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City