Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Mods, though I posted this in another thread, this deserves a separate thread of its own. NYC is finally demolishing a NYCHA complex in Brooklyn.

They are currently demolishing Prospect Plaza.

EXCLUSIVE: City hires firm with mob ties to demolish Prospect Plaza Houses in Crown Heights - NY Daily News

"Meanwhile, some of the hundreds of tenants who lost their homes so many years ago wonder if they'll be allowed back in. Only 80 of the 365 units will be set aside for NYCHA residents, with the rest going to any family making $55,000 a year or less."

NYCHA, HPD Announce Developer for Prospect Plaza

"NYCHA will provide $15.5 million in HOPE VI Grant funds for the development of the public housing units at Prospect Plaza."

Hope VI grants are the same grants that funded the demolition of projects in Chicago, Philadelpha, New Orleans, etc. Notice they are replacing them with a combination of affordable housing, with some public housing in there. This is exactly what other cities did, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:52 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
It's not news. It's been common knowledge for a while that they were going to demolish these PJs and replace it with mixed housing. I doubt this will be a new trend in NYC.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
you would think that after 12 years all of the tenants that had been moved out, would have of bettered themselves by now and not expect to come back, and have gone on with life.

"public housing" in theory is supposed to be "temporary" till one gets on their feet financially, it is not meant to be a life long tenancy.

Oh goodie, I have 5 kids I need a 3 bedroom, then the kids all grow up, get married and mom has the nerve to still stay in the 3 bedroom apartment, as if she is entitled to it.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
It's not news. It's been common knowledge for a while that they were going to demolish these PJs and replace it with mixed housing. I doubt this will be a new trend in NYC.
How about with NYCHA's funding being cut 11% by the feds? What if the federal government does additional cuts? NYCHA was already in bad financial shape before they cut its funding 11%, as announced by the feds.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:00 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Mods, though I posted this in another thread, this deserves a separate thread of its own. NYC is finally demolishing a NYCHA complex in Brooklyn.

They are currently demolishing Prospect Plaza.

EXCLUSIVE: City hires firm with mob ties to demolish Prospect Plaza Houses in Crown Heights - NY Daily News

"Meanwhile, some of the hundreds of tenants who lost their homes so many years ago wonder if they'll be allowed back in. Only 80 of the 365 units will be set aside for NYCHA residents, with the rest going to any family making $55,000 a year or less."

NYCHA, HPD Announce Developer for Prospect Plaza

"NYCHA will provide $15.5 million in HOPE VI Grant funds for the development of the public housing units at Prospect Plaza."

Hope VI grants are the same grants that funded the demolition of projects in Chicago, Philadelpha, New Orleans, etc. Notice they are replacing them with a combination of affordable housing, with some public housing in there. This is exactly what other cities did, as well.

they wonder?????????????????

Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
you would think that after 12 years all of the tenants that had been moved out, would have of bettered themselves by now and not expect to come back, and have gone on with life.

"public housing" in theory is supposed to be "temporary" till one gets on their feet financially, it is not meant to be a life long tenancy.

Oh goodie, I have 5 kids I need a 3 bedroom, then the kids all grow up, get married and mom has the nerve to still stay in the 3 bedroom apartment, as if she is entitled to it.
Rep This is exactly what I keep debating with people on the Nycha threads

Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
How about with NYCHA's funding being cut 11% by the feds? What if the federal government does additional cuts? NYCHA was already in bad financial shape before they cut its funding 11%, as announced by the feds.
I'm not saying that NYCHA is in great shape, however unlike those other cities that you mentioned, there are a lot of consequences that can happen if they choose to start knocking down all of the PJs. This is one of those things that separate NYC from other American cities.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that NYCHA is in great shape, however unlike those other cities that you mentioned, there are a lot of consequences that can happen if they choose to start knocking down all of the PJs. This is one of those things that separate NYC from other American cities.
I hope you don't mean violence consequences, as the NYPD could be backed up by the military if need be.

In the end, nothing will happen as Chicago's projects were far worse than NY's, and they were still knocked down. And nothing happened. Cabrini Green was notorious, but in the end, everyone was moved and phased out.

And NYCHA will get in even worse shape. The thing as, as federal funding gets constantly cut, living conditions in the projects will get so awful even the worst crackhead will gladly leave when the city decides to demolish a development. Why state in a building whose physical condition is so poor it is hazardous to your life to stay there (exposed wiring, cold in the winter, horrible fungal infestations, etc.)?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I hope you don't mean violence consequences, as the NYPD could be backed up by the military if need be.

In the end, nothing will happen as Chicago's projects were far worse than NY's, and they were still knocked down. And nothing happened. Cabrini Green was notorious, but in the end, everyone was moved and phased out.

And NYCHA will get in even worse shape. The thing as, as federal funding gets constantly cut, living conditions in the projects will get so awful even the worst crackhead will gladly leave when the city decides to demolish a development. Why state in a building whose physical condition is so poor it is hazardous to your life to stay there (exposed wiring, cold in the winter, horrible fungal infestations, etc.)?
I'm glad you mentioned Chicago because that is a great example of what I mean. You could say "everyone was moved and phased out", but that's not how it ends. What ended up happening in Chicago is that people from various PJs moved into already low-income, crime ridden neighborhoods with vouchers and guess what, now those neighborhoods have experienced an increase in crime. I don't see why that can't happen in NYC.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned Chicago because that is a great example of what I mean. You could say "everyone was moved and phased out", but that's not how it ends. What ended up happening in Chicago is that people from various PJs moved into already low-income, crime ridden neighborhoods with vouchers and guess what, now those neighborhoods have experienced an increase in crime. I don't see why that can't happen in NYC.
From what I was told from people who live in Chicago, they moved those people into the poorer suburbs away from the inner city areas near downtown (which they wanted to gentrify). Basically, the city got what it wanted as it moved project people OUT of the MOST VALUABLE real estate.

So the city might decide to settle a bunch of housing project people in Staten Island, the most isolated borough. LOL Others they might move with vouchers to poorer suburbs like Uniondale, New Rochelle, etc.

That's for those who decide to stay in NY. A certain number of people would leave NY altogether. That happened in the case of Chicago as well. Blacks and Hispanics disproportionately live in projects, and a lot of Blacks have been moving back to the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City