Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,104,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle67 View Post
Yes, I checked out a lot of places, but I do want a doorman and need a building that allows pets. I can't do a small 1 BR, it needs to be large enough for a home office. I'm not talking a desk here, I mean the works...printers, file cabinets, multiple computers, etc. It's no so bad as my company pays for many expenses - phone, internet, blah...and I most certainly do not exercise so a gym membership is not needed, lol. I really am just paying for TV, insurance, food, and entertainment. That's about it. I do not understand why this would deplete my savings, it's only 50% of my take home per month, and I have absolutely zero debt (?).

Yes, I do anticipate that a) my income will rise and/or b) i quit my job and get a new one where I will not work from home and then space is no longer an issue, most likely after a year. Once I stop working from home, I can easily downgrade to a $2500/mo or less apartment. I really wanted to be in the Village or Chelsea for a more 'homey' feel, but my budget doesn't allow for that if I require a certain size space...
Have you spent much time in the city? Because if you like Chelsea and the West Village, I think you would really like the Upper West Side.
, as pp suggested. There are some great doorman pre-war buildings along Columbus and Amsterdam in the 70s and 80s. You could probably swing a sizeable 1 br or 1br with office there. Lots of little cafes, Fairway Grocery Store, the best bakery on earth (Levain), close to the park. It's definitely charming. And on a direct subway line to Chelsea and the Village when you go out.

Honestly, anything is more charming than 42nd and 11th.

Also, unless you have a pit bull or a great Dane, it should be easy to find a dog-friendly rental. Dogs pretty much rule the city; I've even seen them in bathrom stalls at Bergdorf's with their owners, or toted around in a $3,000 Silver Cross baby pram- no joke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,984,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Guarantors (co-signers) have always been ONLY needed when the tenant didn't make the min income to rent (ie, 40x). For someone who lived in Manhattan, you don't seem to be too clear on the general rental guidelines.
Coming out of lurk mode again. LOL!

Okay, I lived in the east village on 6th Street up until I moved out of NYC seven years ago. In 1992 when I moved in my place, there was no guarantor nor did I have to provide bank statements. The only thing I had to do was pay the 12% broker's fee at the time (don't know what it is now), along with one month's rent and security. That was all. Kind of like how it is in the rest of the country minus the broker's fee.

All of these stringent guidelines began to happen in the mid-1990s. Before then it was easy to get an apartment. I was also a good tenant, but I had fill my of the city and wanted something different.

So, forgive me if I'm unaware that renting in Manhattan now is like trying to get an apartment into NASA. Have they started fingerprinting and taking DNA yet?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:41 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,017,873 times
Who's talking about 42nd and 11th? Don't live there. Especially if you are going to work from home. I vote upper west side as well.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 AM

89 posts, read 443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Who's talking about 42nd and 11th? Don't live there. Especially if you are going to work from home. I vote upper west side as well.
Why?

I started to look at UWS as well, but felt that it was too far from my friends.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,848,440 times
11th and 42nd is nice. If you drive a truck. TONS of commercial traffic en route to and from the Lincoln tunnel. I wouldn't live there - not terribly appealing. But, who knows - you might like it.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:22 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,802,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
11th and 42nd is nice. If you drive a truck. TONS of commercial traffic en route to and from the Lincoln tunnel. I wouldn't live there - not terribly appealing. But, who knows - you might like it.
It's also nice if you need to be at the UPS and FED EX store everyday..other than that its really creepy

Old 01-06-2010, 09:22 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,271,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle67 View Post
Where in the world can you own for less than that in Manhattan?
I didn't say in Manhattan.

I own on Long Island for $970/mo.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM

403 posts, read 1,389,797 times
I second the opinions on 42nd and 11th. Very commerical, no neighborhood feel at all. That area has seen some new residential towers go up, which Im sure offer a luxury experience at a much cheaper price than you would generally find in othersections of the city, but to me, it isnt worth it. The UWS is nice, although I'm not one of these people that swears by it. It has become fashionable to love the UWS and hate the UES. Less highrises on the west side. There are so many great neighborhoods. Im not going to be one of these poeple trying to convice you to move to my block. This annoys me. When someone asks, "where in manhattan would you suggest?" and then 3 outer boro residents chime in with the "why not check out queens? its cheaper, blah blah blah." thanks for answering the question.

I too like the west village and chelsea. Check out the west teens from 9th ave west. really dig it there. Just north of meatpacking and by the new high line park. If you want a lux highrise with a doorman and full amenities, check murray hill, gramercy, UES, even midtown east. let me know if you have questions. Youll be fine. 3k wont get you a palace, but it will be swank.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:18 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,802,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post

I too like the west village and chelsea. Check out the west teens from 9th ave west. really dig it there. Just north of meatpacking and by the new high line park. If you want a lux highrise with a doorman and full amenities, check murray hill, gramercy, UES, even midtown east. let me know if you have questions. Youll be fine. 3k wont get you a palace, but it will be swank.

You will not get a 1 bedroom for 3,000 at the size you want anywhere near the high line. I live on 8th ave not too far from there and I live in a nice sized studio for 2200.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 AM

89 posts, read 443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
You will not get a 1 bedroom for 3,000 at the size you want anywhere near the high line. I live on 8th ave not too far from there and I live in a nice sized studio for 2200.
Yes, I have looked in all of these places. It is not possible to get a place for $3k with for the size that I need, which is the whole reason I am sacrificing area. I would need to spend at least another grand for that. I also looked in Gramercy and couldn't find anything that met my needs. Murray Hill is too 'young' for me. The area I am looking may not be very nice, but it gets me what I need as far as living space and standards. Why does it matter where I live if I am working from home? I will literally be in the apartment almost all the time, working 60-80 hrs/wk. Of course it would be great to be in a nicer neighborhood, but if anything I think the neighborhood matters LESS if working from home.

And one of the previous posters is correct, I want to live in Manhattan. I lived on LI for the first 24 years of my life and have no interest going back, so no I am not buying a house there. Nor do I want to live in Brooklyn or Queens. I'm asking about Manhattan, that is all I am interested in. I appreciate the feedback about the different neighborhoods greatly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City