Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:45 PM

898 posts, read 1,219,775 times

Advertisements

i was on the b train going towards brighton beach and i saw a guy (doesn't matter that he was black) about in his 40s or 50s or so, with a cane and he was in one of those corner seats with many 20s spread out in his hand while he was slumped over as if he was drunk or asleep but he was not moving. what does this mean? is this usually a detective undercover setup to purposely encourage someone to rob him, or was it just a guy looking to start a fight or something? i wish i could have told him as i walked by that you are fooling no one and to put away his ghetto thug ways by trying to start something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 12:17 AM

5,147 posts, read 4,980,045 times
Didn't you take a picture of him?

Old 08-08-2015, 05:20 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i was on the b train going towards brighton beach and i saw a guy (doesn't matter that he was black) about in his 40s or 50s or so, with a cane and he was in one of those corner seats with many 20s spread out in his hand while he was slumped over as if he was drunk or asleep but he was not moving. what does this mean? is this usually a detective undercover setup to purposely encourage someone to rob him, or was it just a guy looking to start a fight or something? i wish i could have told him as i walked by that you are fooling no one and to put away his ghetto thug ways by trying to start something.
Could be an undercover sting operation. At least they are not using the stroller one "Operation Lucky Bag" anymore, as far as I know. NYPD’s Operation Lucky Bag gutted by wrongly arrested settlement

Why didn't you just try to wake him up and tell him he should put his money away? That way you could gauge his reaction and get more information for us .

Old 08-08-2015, 05:35 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:

Why didn't you just try to wake him up and tell him he should put his money
away?
That would have been my natural inclination.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:02 AM

769 posts, read 1,015,699 times
sounds like Lucky Bag.

The NYPD have no shame. Sometimes they have to create crime, to keep their jobs.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:04 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
I'd have nudged him to wake up. But I think its an NYPD sting operation, in which case I have no problem with it. Note, you're not creating crime by doing things like this (no one is forcing anyone to go "rob" the guy), but merely bringing the criminal element out of the woodwork.

Note, lucky bag wasn't inherently flawed, but its implementation sometimes was.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:09 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Note, lucky bag wasn't inherently flawed, but its implementation sometimes was.
I disagree. If I saw an unattended stroller with a wallet hanging off, knowing that someone ELSE might be a criminal element and steal it, I might have taken (saved) the wallet, opened it, gone with my phone to a coffee shop to see if any of the ID would help me track down the owner. And then what, I'd have been arrested? For trying to help?

Actually I don't know what I'd have done, since luckily I was not around any lucky bag traps. But in one instance I did find a wallet on the street, and I took it with me in hopes of being able to track down the owner.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:58 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I disagree. If I saw an unattended stroller with a wallet hanging off, knowing that someone ELSE might be a criminal element and steal it, I might have taken (saved) the wallet, opened it, gone with my phone to a coffee shop to see if any of the ID would help me track down the owner. And then what, I'd have been arrested? For trying to help?

Actually I don't know what I'd have done, since luckily I was not around any lucky bag traps. But in one instance I did find a wallet on the street, and I took it with me in hopes of being able to track down the owner.
Yes, but my understanding of the the lucky bag program was, initially, not detailed enough in implementation (still, there were broader guidelines that should have bounded police actions in those instances, even if they didn't always, such as constitutional requirements for probable cause, etc.). Thus, there were some officers who arrested without having any probable cause of criminal intent/activity, but you also had officers who would not just arrest people for picking up the wallet; in the latter case, officers often talked to the individuals to try to gauge intent before charging/arresting. Although, to be clear, just taking the wallet, but leaving the larger bag, doesn't smell of a good Samaritan to me and would, under some circumstances, lead to a finding of probable cause (or at least reasonable suspicion to stop the individual, from which probable cause could possibly be established); if you were truly concerned about taking the wallet to contact the owner, why wouldn't you look through the larger bag (the wallet in operation lucky bag was typically exposed/slightly falling out of the bag to make for easy visibility). Thus, I think the problem was, as stated previously, more with inconsistent/faulty implementation than the program being inherently flawed.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:02 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,897,291 times
no. this is not a undercover sting op. they do not even work like that.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:54 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
no. this is not a undercover sting op. they do not even work like that.
I have my doubts too. If something were to go wrong, ie the robber has a gun and a shootout takes place innocent people could get hurt/killed, and with the equipment the B trains run there would be no option for passengers to escape to other cars because the doors are locked at all times.

I couldn't see the NYPD doing something so careless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City