Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM

92,624 posts, read 122,930,315 times

Advertisements

Don't sleep on Africans, as many come educated and some come as refugees. Urban neighborhoods always have evolved and even up here, we've seen ethnic neighborhoods transform due to immigrants and even Downstate transplants. So, it isn't anything new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,846,335 times
Why do you think that most of the Mexican population is illegal in NYC? If so many business owners are also at fault. Most of the Mexican people that work in various industries in NYC are very hard working. My Mexican neighbors are very good neighbors also, they go to work everyday, they are clean, and quiet.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM

686 posts, read 1,119,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Technically, Whites, Blacks, and Hispanics are all minorities. Asians make up about 2/3 of the worlds population.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:25 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,291,031 times
How much of Harlem's soul will remain? I'd hate to see yet another historic black neighborhood have all the flavor sucked out of it by a bunch of yuppies moving in.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
How much of Harlem's soul will remain? I'd hate to see yet another historic black neighborhood have all the flavor sucked out of it by a bunch of yuppies moving in.
Despite being a middle class yuppie type, I have the same feelings. Harlem is nice, unique. I dont want NY to lose its AA zone.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,107,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
Despite being a middle class yuppie type, I have the same feelings. Harlem is nice, unique. I dont want NY to lose its AA zone.
NYC is always going to have an AA zone, but the zone might not necessarily be in Manhattan. Maybe some part of the South Bronx will become the new center of black culture in NYC.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,981,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
NYC is always going to have an AA zone, but the zone might not necessarily be in Manhattan. Maybe some part of the South Bronx will become the new center of black culture in NYC.
Theres dozens of those already its called housing projects. The major AA zone in nyc as in commerce and cultre was bed$tuy and harlem. For residential was south east queens and north east bronx but those areas changed to ethically.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:08 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,890,187 times
Yeah it sucks that Harlem, Bed-Stuy etc. are losing their character. But it makes sense that out of all the Black hoods in this city, they would be the first to change, since they're the oldest ones.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:57 PM

I've no issue with gentrification but it shouldnt change the local demographics.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,981,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
I've no issue with gentrification but it shouldnt change the local demographics.
What needs to happen is that that yuppies and other Transplants should learn the history and culture of these once cultured communities that they live in in order to preserve what is left and pass them on to future generations of Yuppie children. Failure to do so will leave communities like Harlem homogenous in the future. People need to do there homework before moving into any areas of hte city tehy need to worry about history and culture instead of worrying about Manhattan and proximity or if the area is hip and cool, or worry about getting shot by a black people or being raped by hispanics, this is how areas of the city will eventually loose its character. I for one as a person respect peoples history and culture even if it is a polar opposite of yours or if its politically incorrect. Sadly this is not happening, its not only in NYC but its nationwide. For Harlem I do hope many AA retain business in that area in order to keep some sort of culture there that caters to both old timers and new comers alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City