Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:08 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times

Advertisements

and also i dont know why people keep crediting white people lol.

white people are not even 10 percent of harlem or maybe right under 10 percent lol.

the main reasons why blacks are les then 50 percent of harlem is due to the growth of hispanics in harlem.

just go to west harlem and you will notice the area is 90 percent dominican now lol. and the top 10 immigrants of harlem are all of black caribbean and latino heritage.

so yes harlem is getting more diverse but not because of only white people as people make it out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
and also i dont know why people keep crediting white people lol.

white people are not even 10 percent of harlem or maybe right under 10 percent lol.

the main reasons why blacks are les then 50 percent of harlem is due to the growth of hispanics in harlem.

just go to west harlem and you will notice the area is 90 percent dominican now lol. and the top 10 immigrants of harlem are all of black caribbean and latino heritage.

so yes harlem is getting more diverse but not because of only white people as people make it out to be.
Census workers have been going around the Hamilton Heights area this week to review what they consider may be fraudulent census figures according to some of the workers when asked why they are revisitiing the area.

This area is mostly Dominican, Black (American, Carribean, and African), Mexican, and some Puerto Ricans. There are also more than a few Whites and Asians in the area.

The fraudulent census figures are not really that, but many Hispanic people have chosen White for race and not indicated that they are of Hispanic Origin, while having a Spanish surname.

They are trying to minimize the economic and social consequences of this, whatever they are. The workers they are sending to do this are mostly Hispanic.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:36 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
The more black people in the neighborhood, the LESS desirable it is. Examples of these type of neighborhoods are all around us. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out...just look around you.
Really? Then why are White people moving to Harlem, Bedstuy, etc, areas that still have a lot of Black people. Apts don't stay vacant very long. At first it was just single yuppies. Now I'm seeing more families. More moms with young children. I even saw a few Black nannies with young White children.

This may have been true in the past. But now I think people look at the all around safety, cleanliness, and transportation conveniences. By the way these areas of Harlem were always clean and well kept, that is what attracted White people and others there in the first place.

I know the argument that Harlem was White first but it wasn't, it was Native American first, then White plantation owners that didn't come by themselves but with Black slaves. Black people have been there ever since, especially in Hamilton Heights, which stayed well preserved through the heroin, and crack epidemics, and even survived through the fires and abandonments of many parts of the city, especially the Bronx in the 70's, with a Black majority. Now there are many Latin groups along with the Blacks, and more Whites and Asians. Everyone seems to be working together to keep the area going.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:48 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Default no whites in Harlem

The people in Harlem you are calling "White" were not considered "White" when they lived in Harlem. They were working class Catholic Italians most likely reffed to as "greaseballs". . The Backs themselves were more "White" than these Italians as these Blacks shared the religion, language, customs and history of the American WASP Whites. these Italians shared very little culturally with real American "Whites".

Calling these Italians "White" is revisionist history; and shows a lack of cultural understanding. The Italians were truly a separate community in Harlem that has since been ethnically cleansed. These "whites" were only considered "white" when they were removed from their urban neighborhoods and cleansed of their religion, language, culture and close urban bonds. Designating them as "white" is done out of convenience as it eliminates a potential fifth column group and acquiesces a population into mindless American materialism far removed from old world dedication to family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Really? Then why are White people moving to Harlem, Bedstuy, etc, areas that still have a lot of Black people. Apts don't stay vacant very long. At first it was just single yuppies. Now I'm seeing more families. More moms with young children. I even saw a few Black nannies with young White children.

This may have been true in the past. But now I think people look at the all around safety, cleanliness, and transportation conveniences. By the way these areas of Harlem were always clean and well kept, that is what attracted White people and others there in the first place.

I know the argument that Harlem was White first but it wasn't, it was Native American first, then White plantation owners that didn't come by themselves but with Black slaves. Black people have been there ever since, especially in Hamilton Heights, which stayed well preserved through the heroin, and crack epidemics, and even survived through the fires and abandonments of many parts of the city, especially the Bronx in the 70's, with a Black majority. Now there are many Latin groups along with the Blacks, and more Whites and Asians. Everyone seems to be working together to keep the area going.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 PM

160 posts, read 1,679,305 times
that not really correct. italian isnt a race. race isnt about culture. if it were, we wouldnt be callin ppl white and black

Old 07-14-2010, 05:10 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,363 times
Race is a meaningless and false construct that is over-emphasized everywhere by those educated/indoctrinated in American schools. Culture/ethnicity is a much more important factor in shaping the person, the language, religion, cuisine and customs of ethnicity are much more important than race. A black Dominican has, much more in common with a white Dominican than a white Dominican has in common with an American WASP. Yet Americans will group the white Dominican with the WASP into the same racial category even though these two have as much in common as a green lizard and a green head of lettuce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
that not really correct. italian isnt a race. race isnt about culture. if it were, we wouldnt be callin ppl white and black

Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
As a person of Caribbean descent I don't mind being categorized with Afro Americans because people tend to have the same stigma toward us associated with them(i.e. especially law enforcement) and many outside of the black community don't care to differentiate. But What I do hate and you brought up a good point, is that black people are always seen as this homogenous group when we're not. We are a very diverse group of people. Even we don't realise it sometimes. As for Latinos being ghetto; hip hop was created with the collaboration of caribbeans, African Americans and Puerto Ricans. I don't know if hip hop was what was being insinuated, but ghetto isn't a culture its an experience. And a place like Harlem and the rest of NY represent how distinct cultures with rich history are affected within this experience. And I can't direct this at you cause even sometimes we(minoirites) think that being ghetto is apart of our cutlure but it isn't, its just another sad chapter in a people's history, especially black americans.

Anyhow, blacks are no longer a majority in Harlem but they're still the largest group. As a result no one in Harlem has a majority, I hope its a good sign...time will tell.

p.s. Riaelise, Reggaeton started in Panama, but I agree with you anyhow.
Great post, especially this part! You should put that on t-shirts!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
The people in Harlem you are calling "White" were not considered "White" when they lived in Harlem. They were working class Catholic Italians most likely reffed to as "greaseballs". . The Backs themselves were more "White" than these Italians as these Blacks shared the religion, language, customs and history of the American WASP Whites. these Italians shared very little culturally with real American "Whites".

Calling these Italians "White" is revisionist history; and shows a lack of cultural understanding. The Italians were truly a separate community in Harlem that has since been ethnically cleansed. These "whites" were only considered "white" when they were removed from their urban neighborhoods and cleansed of their religion, language, culture and close urban bonds. Designating them as "white" is done out of convenience as it eliminates a potential fifth column group and acquiesces a population into mindless American materialism far removed from old world dedication to family.
Thanks for posting this, i've read your past post concerning this and i find it very interesting. however what i am referring to goes back to before there was a united states when america was british colony. then after the revolutionary war until blacks were freed from slavery in nyc, which was about 40 years before slavery ended in the south.

these slave owners were not italian, they were mostly english and some dutch and their descendants. these black people were the first black people in harlem and later were replaced by black people from the south beginning in the late 1800's. also in the late 1800's the italians, along with puerto ricans, and cubans also started to arrive in harlem.

their are still black people in nyc that are descendants of the original black people in nyc, some have dutch surnames.

i am aware that race is meaningless, and false construct as you have stated. however this is how people are catorgorized and identified for whatever reason, so i'm using it in this way. i'm also showing for those that can get it, that we have all been in this city from it's beginnings, and we have survived through the good and the bad, and we will all always be here together. no matter how we identify ourselves racially, rich, poor, in between, all people will always be represented in this city, and all people will find their places in this city, no matter what happens. harlem is one of the best examples of this, from its beginnings, that we know historically up to the present time. it is constantly changing and evolving, it is an amazing place.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I too think that was a great post...nice job samyn!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 AM

27 posts, read 110,771 times
I think what is happening is the Yuppies move in and displace the blacks and minorities. They still don't live side by side. This happens all the time in Chicago. White yuppies with money move in and change the neighborhood, rents go up and the minorities move away. Thus you have a white place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City