U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 PM
 
46 posts, read 186,273 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Well it's that time of year again where I've been looking for a job. It seems that I'm blessed in the fact that in this tough economy I still have some options. ( good luck to anyone that is looking for a job right now)

I've been given two job offers:


one for $150 in Atlanta ( where I currently live )
OR

one for $225 K in Manhattan ( where I'd have to move )

I've done the cost of living calculations, and they all say that NYC is 47% more expensive than manhattan.


What would you take? 150K in Atlanta ( which goes a far way! ) or $225K in NYC?


Tangibles / Intangibles ?

Quality of life?

Lifestyle?



Thanks...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 PM
 
29,042 posts, read 41,746,606 times
Reputation: 12370
if you want big city lights and fast pace come to nyc. ive been to atlanta several times and i see the city and surrounding areas as nothing more than a relaxing vacation. u will definitely not live like a pauper for 225K in NYC.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Queens and New Haven,CT
16 posts, read 119,519 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen78 View Post
Well it's that time of year again where I've been looking for a job. It seems that I'm blessed in the fact that in this tough economy I still have some options. ( good luck to anyone that is looking for a job right now)

I've been given two job offers:


one for $150 in Atlanta ( where I currently live )
OR

one for $225 K in Manhattan ( where I'd have to move )

I've done the cost of living calculations, and they all say that NYC is 47% more expensive than manhattan.


What would you take? 150K in Atlanta ( which goes a far way! ) or $225K in NYC?


Tangibles / Intangibles ?

Quality of life?

Lifestyle?



Thanks...
Yeah man Seventh is right. It's all up to you and where you wanna be. The 225K is def not chump change and it can go very far in Manhattan but can go EXTRA far in the outer boros as well too. If you are into fast pace life then by all means NYC but if you have been accustomed to a relax pace then I would remain in ATL. Both amounts will def be enough during these tough times to live comfy! Good luck w/ your decision!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 AM
 
176 posts, read 684,046 times
Reputation: 88
I'm going to step out here and say take the 150k in Atlanta as in a long run it will work best for you. NYC is very fast past that 225k you will be making they will over work you for it, you'll have no time to enjoy the city when you have to constently work and be over worked and take work home or have to work late. Although 225k seem like alot it really isnt for Manhattan and even the other boroughs after you've been taxed. 150k you'll do your work in a less stressful environment and be able to get home and enjoy your time or even travel to these big city as you'll have the time and energy to do it. You'll have the best of whatever house in the city or suburbs and still live well. You can even visit NYC monthly as you'll have the means. Infact you can travel any where you want and enjoy the world on that salary living in ATL. You will be limited out here in NY, really limited to all possibilities. This is a very competitive place to live and you'll be fighting every day for this 225k salary. While you can live in outer borough for less, it is still struggle, like I said you will be working constantly working here is really hard work, you are over worked. You will not enjoy whatever it is you'll be doing because of this and to me to live a full filling life you have to enjoy what you do as you spend most of your time working. You practically get home just to sleep and when weekends comes you'll be too tired from being over worked to do anything. I currently live in outer borough making 175k with my husband and trust me when I say we are not living lavish at all I mean it, we are constantly budgeting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side, NYC
403 posts, read 1,328,293 times
Reputation: 285
The big question here is, do you want to live in new york city? Ive lived in atl and it was more similar to LA than NYC. Very very different lifestyle. Personally I love city life, so therefore I short my dollar to live here. Where you live will be the top influence on quality of life. I disagree with these people that choose a city based on cost of living. "Oh look how much I can get in Des Moines!" Great, now you're in IA. You get my point. Let me know if you have specific questions. NYC is a very exciting lifestyle! Good luck, and congrats on having such great options!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 9,698,233 times
Reputation: 3742
Do you have children? That's where the real expense lies. Extra bedrooms and private school tuition are very expensive. If you don't have children, you could have a great time on that salary.

Have you spent much time in the city? You sound rather ambivalent about New York, I would suggest an extended visit before your make a decision. As others have pointed out, there's more to life than money and only you can know if the lifestyle is right for you.

New York is about apartments and public transportation. Atlanta is about houses and cars. Even if you get a house in the suburbs, you'll probably have to take a commuter train into the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 11:01 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
18 posts, read 201,153 times
Reputation: 30
It's surprising at just how much income and property taxes take out of that budget. Not to mention other unheard of taxes (1% tax on mortgages anyone?). Given that federal tax increases are not adjusted for cost of living, you are more likely to get hit with higher taxes in the future and are more likely to be subject to AMT (due to high deductions from local taxes). Local politics here strongly favor hitting people like you hard. I feel you'll live a more comfortable life in Atlanta on 150k to be sure.

On the other hand - the things to do, shopping, clubs, restaurants, etc ... can't be beat. If that's your thing, come on up!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 02:37 AM
 
Location: Halethorphe, MD
305 posts, read 482,023 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
The big question here is, do you want to live in new york city? Ive lived in atl and it was more similar to LA than NYC. Very very different lifestyle. Personally I love city life, so therefore I short my dollar to live here. Where you live will be the top influence on quality of life. I disagree with these people that choose a city based on cost of living. "Oh look how much I can get in Des Moines!" Great, now you're in IA. You get my point. Let me know if you have specific questions. NYC is a very exciting lifestyle! Good luck, and congrats on having such great options!
having lived in nyc and des moines, i can tell you des moines wouldnt be so bad if not for the terrible winters...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 01:47 PM
 
583 posts, read 1,199,544 times
Reputation: 323
Agree with most points other posters mentioned.

I would add that you also have to consider the future career opportunities and find out where you have more chance to grow and make even more if you have such ambitions. When negotiating your salary when you decide to move on and move up, it helps to start with something higher rather than lower. Even though your salary might be adjusted for the COL of NYC, it's still much higher than your ATL salary and may help you in future salary negotiations when you even decide to move out of NYC. I know people who moved from NYC to lower COL places and whose high NYC salary helped them get higher salary at their new jobs, this may or may not be the case in your situation, but still something to consider and talk to people about. Also, if your title is higher in NYC I'd go with NYC.

Otherwise, all things being equal, it's up to you and what type lifestyle you prefer (urban or suburban). Also, consider that if you do have a family and you are the only income earner, 225K minus taxes and expenses doesn't go that far in Manhattan.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
 
583 posts, read 1,199,544 times
Reputation: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
I'm going to step out here and say take the 150k in Atlanta as in a long run it will work best for you. NYC is very fast past that 225k you will be making they will over work you for it, you'll have no time to enjoy the city when you have to constently work and be over worked and take work home or have to work late. Although 225k seem like alot it really isnt for Manhattan and even the other boroughs after you've been taxed. 150k you'll do your work in a less stressful environment and be able to get home and enjoy your time or even travel to these big city as you'll have the time and energy to do it. You'll have the best of whatever house in the city or suburbs and still live well. You can even visit NYC monthly as you'll have the means. Infact you can travel any where you want and enjoy the world on that salary living in ATL. You will be limited out here in NY, really limited to all possibilities. This is a very competitive place to live and you'll be fighting every day for this 225k salary. While you can live in outer borough for less, it is still struggle, like I said you will be working constantly working here is really hard work, you are over worked. You will not enjoy whatever it is you'll be doing because of this and to me to live a full filling life you have to enjoy what you do as you spend most of your time working. You practically get home just to sleep and when weekends comes you'll be too tired from being over worked to do anything. I currently live in outer borough making 175k with my husband and trust me when I say we are not living lavish at all I mean it, we are constantly budgeting.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Just because you work in NYC doesn't mean you will be worked to death by default, it still depends on what industry and type of environment you work and what position you have or what type of job you have. Its' competitive here for sure, but it's the same everywhere else, I worked in SF, LA, Seattle, DC, Atlanta, Dallas and I don't find myself working harder in NYC. In fact I put craziest hours in Seattle and LA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top