Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 AM

270 posts, read 504,562 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm currently a college student in Mobile, Alabama (pron. Moe-beel, long "o". The "ile" pron. like the French "il" or "eel", not "mobile" like the phone. I think the name of the city should have an accent mark to help outsiders avoid mispronuniciation.) Anyway, I'm majoring in Secondary Education/English and may pursue a Master's in ESL instruction. Although Mobile has its merits (nice weather most of the year, sunny beaches, parades of various shapes and descriptions throughout the year, cultural festivals, museums on history, flora, fauna, and Carnival, and huge Carnival celebrations a la New Orleans.) I've lived in the city most of my life, but I want a change. I was thinking about trying my talents out on the creme de la creme of the North, NYC. I've read that I could teach in NYC with a Master's degree. I don't just want to pick up and move, though, not before I know what I'm getting into. I'm a cautious person, and I don't know anyone in the state of New York or around it, so I would have little to rely upon if my plans didn't work out.

Has anyone tried moving to NYC? How did you make friends? What were your main challenges, and do you think I should try this? Currently, I'm only an undergraduate, if I really want to move, should I try attending graduate school in NYS? If so, which one should I apply for? I don't consider myself a genius, and I don't have a lot of money. Going to school, though, might be a good way to meet more interesting people. It's too bad I'm not the kind of person who easily makes friends. I'm sort of the shy and quiet type.

Last edited by surburbangirlie; 01-06-2010 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
I don't know too much about the education system in NYC...other than that it isn't very good. Most people aspire to teach on Long Island, NJ, Rockland or Westchester and use the city as a last resort.

If ya want to make the move, make the move, apply to grad school. I will tell you it isn't cheap and life in NYC isn't cheap. Keep in mind, unless you get campus housing, you will most likely need to have some sort of job before someone will rent an apartment to you.

And yes, you need a masters to teach anywhere in NY. Some other states you don't...not sure how it is in NJ...but keep in mind, you wont be able to start teaching until you have it.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:52 AM

I like that idea, however, like I said, I'm no genius, and I think getting into something like NYU is like trying to get into Harvard, so where should I apply if I have a decent transcript, but no outstanding records of community service, campus involvement, extracurricular achievements, etc? Do you know of any websites that could provide me with leads and tips on grad schools?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:11 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
I like that idea, however, like I said, I'm no genius, and I think getting into something like NYU is like trying to get into Harvard, so where should I apply if I have a decent transcript, but no outstanding records of community service, campus involvement, extracurricular achievements, etc? Do you know of any websites that could provide me with leads and tips on grad schools?
No, sorry, I don't know. I don't teach, and didn't go to grad school.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I teach in NYC, but don't know really anything about grad schools. There's currently a hiring freeze. Not sure when it will be over.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:53 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
I have several friends who went to Teacher's College at Columbia for their credentials. They liked the program but it's Columbia so I assume it's pretty competitive. I think the CUNYs have a program as well.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:14 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
The first thing you need to do is check out the New York State licensing requirements. Check out if NYS has reciprocity with Alabama. In addition, your college may be accredited by an agency that has reciprocity with New York. You can find this information from the education office at your college. I believe that there is some testing that you must take here because I don't think that NYS accepts the PRAXIS.

The poster who said that you need a Master's Degree to teach here is incorrect. You can teach here without a graduate degree, but within a specific time frame, you must complete your graduate degree in a relevant subject.

Teacher salaries are much higher here than in Mobile.

Right now, New York City has a highering freeze. With the exception of some elite magnet type of schools, New York City high schools and middle schools are rough places. As a new teacher, you would not get placed into a magnet school.

Even when schools are hiring and the economy is better, there is an overabundance of English teachers looking for postions. It is a highly overcrowded field. You will have better luck with ESL and LOTE, especially if you can speak another language. The suburban school districts outside of New York City are usually more desirable because of higher salaries and less student behavioral problems, but it is extremely difficult to get hired because there are thousands of applicants for highly limited vacancies.

IMO, it is not worth the investment in a fancy graduate school if you plan on teaching in New York City schools. You can get hired without a degree from a elitist school. A foot in the door through experience would serve you better, such as subbing or working as a paraprofessional. If you plan on attending a New York State public university, you will not be eligible for in-state tuition until you have lived here for a full year. Even if by some miracle you should get hired and get a starting salary of about 50K, you will still need to live with a roommate for a while. New York City and the surrounding suburbs are much more expensive than Mobile. I realize that you want a change of scenery, but you might have better luck with teaching opportunities in Texas.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 AM

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I understand that picking up and moving to NYC would be a challenge, and I don't want to go in without making sure I have a workable plan, so I may put it off for a while. I guess I will check with my university, though, and see if there are any collaboration programs in NYC. I might be pleasantly surprised. As far as Texas, yeah maybe that's an option, too. San Antonio isn't a bad city. Maybe I should wait until I have more work experience before I try NYC. I get the idea that there are so many wonderful education opportunities there, though. I could learn so much and maybe bring some of it back to the South. The K-12 public education here isn't wonderful, and I would like to develop more strategies to get my students excited about learning and teach them to thrive in a diverse, changing environment. Well, anyway, if anyone has anymore ideas, keep them coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: