Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 AM

242 posts, read 1,181,968 times

Advertisements

Before I moved to the city I spent a night at the Park Savoy Hotel.

Park Savoy Hotel in New York City, Official Web Site! > About the Hotel

It wasnt too bad. The room was pretty clean and comfortable enough, and the price wasn't too bad either. The location is very convenient to the park as well. I checked your dates on there and it said its $115 per night.

Here is a link to some reviews on it as well. Good luck!

As far is eating goes, stay away from places recommended in tourist books/websites. To truly enjoy the true essence of NYC food you have to search into the local culture and find places a bit off the beaten path. There are TONS and TONS of tiny "hole in the wall" types of places with amazing food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM

21 posts, read 32,177 times
Thanks alot mate, thats very good of you to look that out for me. I will hopefully get my flights confirmed over the weekend and i'll be back on Monday with un update.

Hope you all have as good weekend, im off to the pub!

Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 AM

ok update...

I have been offered the Hudson Hotel and flights for £499 per head ($799), what do tou think? This includes all tax and vat with direct flights from glasgow to newark?

Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,880,627 times
The Hudson is in a GREAT location - near the Park, a short walk to Fifth Avenue. I don't know it, personally, but it looks OK.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 AM

Viralmd, you and everyone else that has contirbuted have been a great help, thanks very much, i really mean that. Thats me booked up at the Hudson, this is going to be some suprise for her!

Is there anything special that happens in NYC in February like festivals etc etc?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,269,792 times
That's a great deal. Congratulations on doing your homework. The Hudson was THE hot hotel about 5 years ago. As with everything in Manhattan, its status has been supplanted, but it's still and very nice hotel. Much better than the others you were considering.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:14 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,813,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
That's a great deal. Congratulations on doing your homework. The Hudson was THE hot hotel about 5 years ago. As with everything in Manhattan, its status has been supplanted, but it's still and very nice hotel. Much better than the others you were considering.
They are also supposed to have a very nice bar! just sayin

Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,906,092 times
OP, I too am from scotland, probably 30 mins from you.

I've been to NYC twice, and it's truly fantastic.

So far as the subways go, i used them all the time i was there, and i never had a problem.
Buy an unlimited ride card. IIRC $27. you can hop on and off, if you're doing a lot of sightseeing, it's well worth it, especially if the weather isn't so great.
forget about cabs. i tried a couple, and the drivers barely even spoke English. They also didn't exactly fill me with confidence they knew where they are going.
No matter where you are going, you can get a subway train which will take you within a few blocks.

No trouble in the city, I've felt more threatened walking about Glasgow on a Saturday afternoon, than walking about NYC at 4 AM !!

My advice, buy one of the city passes.

New York*Pass*– Easy Sightseeing*New York City*Attractions – NY*City*Pass

entry to the Empire State isn't exactly cheap, if you want to see lots of other stuff, it's worth it.
you also get discounts at places like Planet Hollywood, free boats to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis island.

so far as your proposal, central park is beautiful, but if you can swing it and make it happen, Battery park is quite nice too.
you can pledge your everlasting love with the sunset, and the statue of liberty behind you ?

good luck.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:22 AM

633 posts, read 1,162,342 times
10% tip in NYC? Thats 10 dollars for a 100 check. If the service was good, I believe that would be an insult. I have lived here all my life and never tip just 10%. Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-12-2010 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Hijacking thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 PM

242 posts, read 1,181,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
10% tip in NYC? Thats 10 dollars for a 100 check. If the service was good, I believe that would be an insult. I have lived here all my life and never tip just 10%. Mod cut

Not sure which post this is in reference to. But as a waitress I can tell you that its HORRIBLE when people leave less than 15%. Its just customary to leave that much. Sure if your service was AWFUL you could consider less. But thats really like they messed up your order, never brought you the right food, dropped something on you and laughed, etc. Average service should be 15% and good service should be 20% plus. In a really upscale restaurant where the waitress/waiter pairs wines with your courses, makes extensive recommendations, etc it should really be 25% plus. I think the problem is that most people have never worked in the food service industry, and they don't realize that a waitress'/waiters income depends on tips. We get paid $4.60 per hour, and nearly 100% of that is taken away in taxes. I know its different in Europe, but that's just how its done here. When it really comes down to it, what is an extra dollar or two to you when that small difference means so much to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City