Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:30 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
But you want populations...here you go:

Bronx:

40th - 77, 214
41st - 39,443
42nd - 57,162
44th - 119,962
46th- 118,435
48th- 68,061

Brooklyn:

67th+70th - 161,261
73rd- 84,923
75th - 161,350
83rd- 102,572

Manhattan:

23rd+25th- 110,508
26th+30th - 106,978
28th+32nd- 99,159
34th - 198,192
ok thanks for providing the populations stats. now we are getting somewhere.....now let me break down the brooklyn populations for you because i know you dont know brooklyn that well:

67th - like wakefield mostly 1-2 family homes, a few apt buildings, not man, but there is one large complex that isnt NYCHA. you may have heard of it mentioned on here before its called vanderveer.

70th - flatbush is densely packed like fordham west bronx. thats exactly how it is. no pjs.

73rd - about 12-15 square blocks of projects, the rest small tenement buildings and 1-2 family homes...think of 138th street area

83rd - small walkup tenement buildings and 1-2 family homes say like around southern blvd, aldus st, longfellow ave. some NYCHA

75th - mostly 1-2 family homes, some NYCHA

my point is that the brooklyn neighborhoods with the exception of the 70 are not as dense and crowded as the bronx neighborhoods. so in the brooklyn precincts, crime is in a few hot spots (70 is the only one where it doesnt hold true). if u took the percentage of the hot areas in the brooklyn precincts it would raise your blood pressure. in the bronx precincts its more evenly distributed so its actually represents the whole precinct quite well.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
All nieghborhoods are safe to out of towners or folks who never walk in bad neighborhoods at all hours, until the law of averages catches up to them and they become a crime victim. Keep believing NYC is TOTALLY safe and there are no bad neighborhoods, perhaps one day we will read about you in the paper. BTW, lot's of violent crimes are never reported. An acquaintence of mine was recently assualted on the trendy lower east side in plain view of dozens of pedestrians. Some punks randomly attacked him and punched out his front teeth with a pair of brass knuckles, then ran off. While the LES is much safer than it was 15 years ago, there are still dangerous people skulking around those dark streets. Especially near the projects on Ave. D. It can happen anywhere. Strolling through East NY or Brownsville after dark is just dancing on the mine field as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
well thats what i was trying to tell you...you posted the murder rate per 100,000 without providing the actual population of the precincts. so my point was unless you provided the population along with it, the info was meaningless. 75th (east new york) is one of the largest in land area. that doesnt mean that it is the largest in population. i'm pretty sure the 70th (flatbush) and 67th (east flatbush) have more people living in it than eny. i dont know how well you know brownsville but its a small area in land size that the 73rd patrols. basically you can get from one end of the precinct ot the other in like 5 minutes if u was cop with your sirens blaring. eny is only among the leaders in homicides because it has some of the worst projects in brooklyn in it.
Seventh, the 75th is the largest in population aswell. Look it up, that is why its always up there in homicides. That's not saying that its not bad cause it is. Mott Haven has some of the worst projects in the Bronx, and yet it cracks maybe 15 homicides nowadays. Is it because it's safer than East NY? No...it's because the 75th has double the population of the 40th. If you double the 40th, then those 15 homicides become 30 aswell...right there with East NY. For a precinct to be a murder capital it has to have two things, crime and population....East NY has both. If you don't care about rates then I guess Hunts Point is among the safest neighborhoods in the city...it doesn't pass single digits in homicide totals.

Also if you think the 73rd is small.....look at the 46th. It's a tiny precinct and has so much crime ...it has the most crime per sq mile of any precinct. All that means is that crime is more densely concentrated. Not necessarily that its worse.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:

my point is that the brooklyn neighborhoods with the exception of the 70 are not as dense and crowded as the bronx neighborhoods. so in the brooklyn precincts, crime is in a few hot spots (70 is the only one where it doesnt hold true). if u took the percentage of the hot areas in the brooklyn precincts it would raise your blood pressure. in the bronx precincts its more evenly distributed so its actually represents the whole precinct quite well.
I disagree. Even really dense neighborhoods have hot spots that would make you lose your mind. Back during the crack era for example...in my research...

The 34th precinct from 160th-168th streets and from Amsterdam to Broadway was ground zero for drugs. It was also according to many officials the most drug saturated area in the whole city. You can look up how many operation and initiatives were used in this area..it was outta control.

The 40th precinct in Mott Haven was at its worse around Beekman ave & 141 st...due to the Wild Cowboys..it was crazy what went on there..read up on them New York Magazine - Google Books ....but generally the whole precinct was crap.

The 43rd precinct in Soundview you already know Watson ave area between Wheeler and Morrison was a drug dealers dream...initiatives were taken here too...some of those name blocks were death.

The 46th precinct in Fordham had the hot area in and around E 183rd and Morris ave....either side of the concourse it was trash....putting cameras on every block couldn't stop them....there wasnt any wall space either....all murals...infamous drug area.

In Brooklyn I have read alot about Knickerbocker ave in Bushwick being and open drug market......and also Franklyn ave (Crown Heights?) was a hell.

You probably knew this already and sorry for being redundant. I just disagreed with Brooklyn having hot spots and the more dense Bronx not having any....I think there are/were hot spots in EVERY precinct....it happens anywhere....and I really don't think the Brooklyn ones were any worse than the Bronx ones....probably not any better either.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:41 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,829 times
Brownsville is dangerous.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Seventh, the 75th is the largest in population aswell. Look it up, that is why its always up there in homicides. That's not saying that its not bad cause it is. Mott Haven has some of the worst projects in the Bronx, and yet it cracks maybe 15 homicides nowadays. Is it because it's safer than East NY? No...it's because the 75th has double the population of the 40th. If you double the 40th, then those 15 homicides become 30 aswell...right there with East NY. For a precinct to be a murder capital it has to have two things, crime and population....East NY has both. If you don't care about rates then I guess Hunts Point is among the safest neighborhoods in the city...it doesn't pass single digits in homicide totals.

Also if you think the 73rd is small.....look at the 46th. It's a tiny precinct and has so much crime ...it has the most crime per sq mile of any precinct. All that means is that crime is more densely concentrated. Not necessarily that its worse.
never said i didnt care about rates.....but now you're doing exactly what i asked you to do which is show the population along with the rate. before you were showing just rate which is not indicative of anything without population. so now that you're showing both im satisfied and i looked at the 46 its small in land area but like the whole precinct is apartment buildings meaning mad people on top of each other.....i dont even think there's 1 block in the 46 thats just houses, only place i can think of is 175 and monroe, weeks, topping, some houses there....eny is mostly houses....imagine if eny was all buildings like the 46 aww man

Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 PM

56 posts, read 415,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Exactly. There are no dangerous areas in NYC anymore. I don't understand why every few days a new thread will pop up asking whether and adress in BK Harlem or the BX is safe to live. Everywhere in NYC is safe!!
i wouldnt say there arent any dangerous places in nyc. i have been to all 5 boroughs, ive never had any incidents but some areas can get pretty rough. for instance, tremont, morris heights, morrisania & soundview (all bronx) & harlem.

listen im jewish i live in crown heights & im always looking for new places to go to. one time i walked down 125 st (harlem) from st nicholas ave to lexington ave. it wasnt that bad at all, nobody started up with me (although i got looks from everybody cause i was out of place) but there were a couple of store merchants that shouted out to me "hello" & some of them wanted to talk to me.

anyway when people say "oh the bronx is a terrible place so much crime..."
let me tell you they over exaggerate. ive been to mott haven a few times, ive never had a problem.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
never said i didnt care about rates.....but now you're doing exactly what i asked you to do which is show the population along with the rate. before you were showing just rate which is not indicative of anything without population. so now that you're showing both im satisfied and i looked at the 46 its small in land area but like the whole precinct is apartment buildings meaning mad people on top of each other.....i dont even think there's 1 block in the 46 thats just houses, only place i can think of is 175 and monroe, weeks, topping, some houses there....eny is mostly houses....imagine if eny was all buildings like the 46 aww man
Yeah but the 46th has no projects. Imagine if 46th had projects like the 75th ...awww man

Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah but the 46th has no projects. Imagine if 46th had projects like the 75th ...awww man
well 46 got sedgewick houses...and some rehabs scattered around on the west side...

Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
BTW, lot's of violent crimes are never reported. An acquaintence of mine was recently assualted on the trendy lower east side in plain view of dozens of pedestrians. Some punks randomly attacked him and punched out his front teeth with a pair of brass knuckles, then ran off.
And he didn't report this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City