Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

[quote=jacktravern;12377897]LOL oh man. Some of yall are hilarious making qualifying statements such as "mind your business and noone will bother you" or "all ghettos are safe in the daytime". The truth of the matter is, when it comes down the ghetto, sorry to break the news, but sometimes just minding your own business doesnt work. Young hoods will randomly ask you for a dollar, the time, cut you online int he store, anything just to get you to enagage and see you're demeanor just to see if you're an easy mark. Not to mention if you get mistaken for someone else, or just caught up in the middle of someone else shootout. Thus lets not quickly for the 15 year old girl in the Bronx who recently took one in the head and survived thank god. You think she wasnt minding her own business?

BTW, if u think Brownsville is such a wonderful, safe place filled with happy kids, look at this clip(/QUOTE]

this is true its the hood sometimes it can happen just gotta be ready for it if it does happen, what can i say.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 PM

151 posts, read 132,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1ne View Post
Im a white girl, 24, and I moved to Brooklyn from Midtown Manhattan when i was 20. I have been all over Brooklyn,Bronx & Queens, in whats considered the "bad" areas, and I honestly think its hysterical that people are afraid. Unless you're walking around LOOKING lost and scared and uncomfortable, no one is going to bother you. Unless you're offended by the occaisional whistle or "hey baby", youve got nothing to worry about. Brooklyn is a great area, I love it, and have NEVER felt unsafe at any point since Ive been here, including walking back to my apartment from the subway at all hours of the night.

I've read some of the comments people have left & they would have "outta towners" believe they are about to step into Iraq if they go ENY,Bedstuy,Soundview,EtcEtc..it's ridiculous

The funny thing is,the only time i've ever been a victin of crime was back in good old Manhattan.Weird huh

(Btw i wasn't talking to anyone in particular,i just had to get it off my chest).
I hate to say this, but I don't believe you. The nabes in bold are rough.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
LOL oh man. Some of yall are hilarious making qualifying statements such as "mind your business and noone will bother you" or "all ghettos are safe in the daytime". The truth of the matter is, when it comes down the ghetto, sorry to break the news, but sometimes just minding your own business doesnt work. Young hoods will randomly ask you for a dollar, the time, cut you online int he store, anything just to get you to enagage and see you're demeanor just to see if you're an easy mark. Not to mention if you get mistaken for someone else, or just caught up in the middle of someone else shootout. Thus lets not quickly for the 15 year old girl in the Bronx who recently took one in the head and survived thank god. You think she wasnt minding her own business?

BTW, if u think Brownsville is such a wonderful, safe place filled with happy kids, look at this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEg1nJ0_Z64
+1, I have to rep you for this.

Everytime I see the OP's post the song "Ante Up" starts playing in my head. It only takes on incident and NYC will probably seem like the most dangerous place on Earth lol.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:06 AM

477 posts, read 1,406,609 times
My friend is a fireman in Brownsville and he tells me they get guns pulled on them because the people think they are cops. Same goes for EMS.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:09 AM

24 posts, read 86,138 times
Why do people write "its dangerous for me, being a white male, to visit certain parts of New York" when in reality it is more like the opposite?
Because if you look at the murder rates et.c you see black/hispanic killing black/hispanic the majority of the time (and when it comes to robberies it may be the same)
So the true statement would rather be something like "it can be dangerous for me as a black man to visit some neigborhoods", or am I wrong?

(just some thoughts refeering to a post on the third page)

Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM

487 posts, read 1,816,158 times
I agree with you Bisl01, I lived in the "90s" and Brownsville for 19 years and knew the streets, it is highly unlikely for thugs to attack white folks. If they saw a white person, they knew that they did not live in the area, and usually would'nt pay them any attention, unless they looked like undercover police officers and then they would just hide their stash and leave the area. As for a white girl in these areas, the most that would happen during the day is someone "cat" calling to her. Now, I as a black teen had to watch my back everyday, you had to put on the appearance of a "thug" even though you arent because you dont want to be seen as "soft". I have seen so many things growing up in these high crime Brooklyn areas that I refused to allow my daughter to grow up in these neighborhoods. I left in "06".

Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisl01 View Post
Why do people write "its dangerous for me, being a white male, to visit certain parts of New York" when in reality it is more like the opposite?
Because if you look at the murder rates et.c you see black/hispanic killing black/hispanic the majority of the time (and when it comes to robberies it may be the same)
So the true statement would rather be something like "it can be dangerous for me as a black man to visit some neigborhoods", or am I wrong?

(just some thoughts refeering to a post on the third page)
This is mostly true, again I use to go to John Jay and most of the criminal data that came out from the FBIs mouth was that most crime against people is commited by the same people of thier own race. Most likely a black person will commit a crime against thier own people or a white person will commit a crime against thier own people and same goes for hispanic. THen again this data can be flawed because this is new york city and an individual here can commit a crime against any race or ethnic.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1ne View Post
Im a white girl, 24, and I moved to Brooklyn from Midtown Manhattan when i was 20. I have been all over Brooklyn,Bronx & Queens, in whats considered the "bad" areas, and I honestly think its hysterical that people are afraid. Unless you're walking around LOOKING lost and scared and uncomfortable, no one is going to bother you. Unless you're offended by the occaisional whistle or "hey baby", youve got nothing to worry about. Brooklyn is a great area, I love it, and have NEVER felt unsafe at any point since Ive been here, including walking back to my apartment from the subway at all hours of the night.

I've read some of the comments people have left & they would have "outta towners" believe they are about to step into Iraq if they go ENY,Bedstuy,Soundview,EtcEtc..it's ridiculous

The funny thing is,the only time i've ever been a victin of crime was back in good old Manhattan.Weird huh

(Btw i wasn't talking to anyone in particular,i just had to get it off my chest).
I'm not ready to go that far yet. In certain places trouble does look for you still. You still have to very much keep your wits about you in this city. It's definitely safer but I wouldn't say it's safe. I also very much agree that with Black and Latino males this is especially the case as you could always get confused for someone else or just get caught up in something for walking in your neighborhood. You even have to be weary of cops but avoiding hanging out on the corner lowers those numbers by more than half at least.

Even in places that seem peachy and are gentrifying there is still very much a criminal element although less obvious. To give an anecdote the other day I was in a bit of a rush in Harlem around 145th street and Broadway and as I ran out of the ATM trying to cross the street before the light changed, a guy did a bird call. The guy must have thought I was a plainclothes cop trying to chase after someone. When I saw him do that I slowed down because I don't want to get caught up in some ish. That area in particular you'd walk around in the early 90's and it would be flooded with drug dealers and perps but now it's a lot less obvious...

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 01-10-2010 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-10-2010, 01:42 PM

157 posts, read 394,822 times
I got punched in the face for no reason in 2005 on 120th and Broadway. This was in broad daylight and these punks came out of no where and punched me in the face. This guy chased the punks off and asked me, "Why didn't you fight back, is it cause you white?" and I was like, "Hell yea", but I'm not a coward. I was outnumbered and afraid they might pull a knife or something. I have lived in Brooklyn my whole life, 19 years, and can say that Brownsville is a very dangerous neighborhood. The people live in dire poverty and the area is very influenced by gangs and violence. It has been rooted in the neighborhood since the beginning of the 20th century. Yes, when the Jews lived in Brownsville it was still a slum.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,818 times
I've went to Juarez in the summer and had no problems. Does that mean Juarez is safe...no. As an adoloscent in the early 90s I played manhunt till midnight during the summer in Compton California does that mean the CPT was a haven in the early 90s? Of course not. Just because your not a victim of crime in an area that doesn't mean it's paradise. To add if you think Eny and Brownsville are safe go hang out in the PJs at 3am crack a Corona and listen to your brand new iPod touch and "tweet" your "bestie" and well see how long you last.

(sigh) Typical 21st century new jack think they know everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City