Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,194 times

Advertisements

who visits bed stuy to look at architecture?

i wouldn't recommend to a tourist or someone unfamiliar with brooklyn to ever take the a/c to utica, let alone walk around with a digital camera.

just my $.02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 03:17 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
who visits bed stuy to look at architecture?

i wouldn't recommend to a tourist or someone unfamiliar with brooklyn to ever take the a/c to utica, let alone walk around with a digital camera.

just my $.02
I know right. Why are you going to stare at run down old houses while Tyrone comes out in the wife beater for the AM smoke and gives you a dirty look becuase he thinks your a cop.

I would accually be more concerned about the OP's cell phone then his camera. Cell phone snatches in the low income areas of NYC are an epidemic.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 AM

9 posts, read 53,961 times
Default Oy

Eh, forget it. I ain't going anymore. My buddy in Astoria says NYC sucks and last time I went, I visited most of the tourist traps and got pretty bored fast. So I went to see how real people live, so I went to Washington Heights, Inwood, Tremont, Canarsie, Flatbush, Williamsburg, Flushing, Astoria, and other blue-collar neighborhoods. Some of those places are pretty dangerous, I guess, but while wandering around minding my own business nothing happened to me nor my cell phone. I just didn't really know Bed-Stuy, I wanted to know if it was as bad as, say, East New York (which I wouldn't step foot in EVER, my Astoria buddy got robbed immediately after coming out of New Lots station). Yeah, maybe I'll go back to NY when some of the bad areas get better, or whenever. But thanks for scaring me straight guys.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 AM

319 posts, read 1,250,194 times
sadly williamsburg is not that blue collar anymore. it's so ridiculous these days. big shiny condos with a view of lovely mccarren park, quite a walk from the reliable g train... most of my husband's family has left the old neighborhood for nj. i can't deal with it there anymore. astoria's changed a lot too - well, at least the rent has.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:18 AM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormucholoco View Post
Eh, forget it. I ain't going anymore. My buddy in Astoria says NYC sucks and last time I went, I visited most of the tourist traps and got pretty bored fast. So I went to see how real people live, so I went to Washington Heights, Inwood, Tremont, Canarsie, Flatbush, Williamsburg, Flushing, Astoria, and other blue-collar neighborhoods. Some of those places are pretty dangerous, I guess, but while wandering around minding my own business nothing happened to me nor my cell phone. I just didn't really know Bed-Stuy, I wanted to know if it was as bad as, say, East New York (which I wouldn't step foot in EVER, my Astoria buddy got robbed immediately after coming out of New Lots station). Yeah, maybe I'll go back to NY when some of the bad areas get better, or whenever. But thanks for scaring me straight guys.
You got bored? Wow. Ive never heard someone from California come to NY and say they were bored. And all the areas you mentioned are way nicer than they were even 2 years ago. ONly blocks of Wash heights remain seedy, Williamsburg is hipster city, flushing is not dangerous at all, astoria is also full of yuppies, Inwood was never really bad in my knowledge, Flatbush just looks kind of bad, Canarsie and Tremont are the only neighborhoods that I would consider rough that you listed. And East New York is still bad but there is no reason for you to be there. There is not much to do.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 14,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
You got bored? Wow. Ive never heard someone from California come to NY and say they were bored. And all the areas you mentioned are way nicer than they were even 2 years ago. ONly blocks of Wash heights remain seedy, Williamsburg is hipster city, flushing is not dangerous at all, astoria is also full of yuppies, Inwood was never really bad in my knowledge, Flatbush just looks kind of bad, Canarsie and Tremont are the only neighborhoods that I would consider rough that you listed. And East New York is still bad but there is no reason for you to be there. There is not much to do.
I was wondering the same thing. I like how he said he "put up with Santa Ana" .

Old 05-30-2007, 07:30 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
east new york overall is worse than bed-stuy
bed stuy has some pretty rough areas
but by the a/c on utica is safe i'm there all the time all hours of night
it looks dicey but its not crime central over there
and bed-stuy has really nice original brownstones
vintage architecture with original cornices, arches and mouldings
dont let people on here scare you off from doing what you want to do
when you get off the train there are people hanging out by the stores
but everybody is minding their own business
you wouldnt even be walking that way anyway
if u really want to play it safe take the back of the train if u coming from manhattan
the train will let you off at fulton and schenectady thats right near the brownstones

Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
when you get off the train there are people hanging out by the stores
but everybody is minding their own business
Hah yup. Old men sniffing coke, young guys selling dope, young girls being hos. Thats the people who hang out in front of the bodegas and buildings of these areas.

Your chances of getting mugged in the day are pretty slim. Flash a ton of cash and the wrong person sees it you are ****ed, but most of the time you are okay. Night is when most random crimes occure. People drunk, high or just bored. These areas are all rough (East NY, Bed-stuy, ect) but so what do what you have to do.

Personally why would you come to New York to look at old run down buildings in the ghetto? Why not hit up a club or bar?

Old 05-31-2007, 03:18 PM

9 posts, read 53,961 times
Sorry, guys. I know I did this forum rather unorganized, but it's just an interest of mine to explore the neighborhoods that no tourists likes or are interested in. But if I know that a neighborhood is so dangerous that in broad daylight someone can assault someone else and no one around will do s***, yeah, I'll stay out of that. I'm probably gonna go to NY anyway and travel around Queens and Brooklyn, so, lemme ask a new question. What neighborhoods in those two boroughs would no non-residents step foot in even in broad daylight?

Old 05-31-2007, 04:25 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
you can go anywhere in nyc in broad daylight pretty much just stay out of the projects. dont let people intimidate you. **** can happen anywhere anytime. **** happens in manhattan during the day. just go about your business and nobody will mess with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City