Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:28 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,990 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg has bought his 3rd term and couldnt get it right in the two prior ones. He hates middle class people, and blue collar workers. All his lay offs and bugget cuts have left many people unemployed and uninsured. I agree with a previous post that things will get better when Bloombucks is out of office!! He can't buy a fourth term, or can he?!?!?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Enough with the Bloomberg bashing and nonsense...he has done more for the middle class than the previous 4 Mayors combined. If he didn't care about the middle class, why would he waste BILLIONS building 165,000 affordable housing units? If he didn't care about the middle class, why would he bother improving the public schools? If he didn't care about the middle class, why would he have given city and state workers (like teachers) substantial raises? If he didn't care about the middle class, why would he expand programs for 1st time homeownership FOR middle class people? If he didn't care about the middle class, why would he bother investing ANY money to expand parks, bike trails, tree plantings and new retail in middle class and lower class communities? All of these were CHAMPIONED by and for the lower-middle class, and Bloomberg listened and took action.

Mod cutBloomberg knows we need the middle class and puts his and city's money where his mouth is and has taken action. Look for MORE initiatives going forward.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-14-2010 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Not necessary. Verges on personal attack

Old 01-12-2010, 03:04 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
changing the tax law is about the only thing I believe. We are witnessing the market working it's magic before our eyes on this very topic. Once unobtainable spaces in new york have seen drastic value/price reductions.

Im not a believer in legislating classes, that is generating governement help programs to aid a class of people. I believe these actually discourage growth and leave people tied to the very bracket these programs are designed to reduce or eliminate. Look, its not everyines right to live a certain way. Its that very attitude that stoked the flames of the housing crises, fueling over leveraging. Im middle class in nyc, and its tight. Sometimes really tight. But I love it here. there are opportunities not available to me in other cities, soI make sacrifcies to be here. If I wanted I could go live in a differnet city, have abig house, watch my saving acct balance grow and put my ambition on ice. Not for me. ;-)

Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Enough with the Bloomberg bashing and nonsense...he has done more for the middle class than the previous 4 Mayors combined. If he didn't care about the middle class, why would he waste BILLIONS building 165,000 affordable housing units? If he didn't care about the middle class, why would he bother improving the public schools? If he didn't care about the middle class, why would he have given city and state workers (like teachers) substantial raises? If he didn't care about the middle class, why would he expand programs for 1st time homeownership FOR middle class people? If he didn't care about the middle class, why would he bother investing ANY money to expand parks, bike trails, tree plantings and new retail in middle class and lower class communities? All of these were CHAMPIONED by and for the lower-middle class, and Bloomberg listened and took action.

Mod cutBloomberg knows we need the middle class and puts his and city's money where his mouth is and has taken action. Look for MORE initiatives going forward.
Mod cut from what Ive seen and spoke too Bloomberg has not helped out the middle class, he actually made things worse. He is helping the upperclass and he is putting his mouth were the money is and thats with the upperclass. I'm not even sure the term middle class is not even used in nyc and the term working class is more acceptable. Any way Bloomberg is building affordable housing but is it really for middle class new yorkers or is it for the working class? no some of these properties are condos and have a high price tag and not affordable for the average new yorker. I can agree that he is improving some of the quality here in the city by building more parks and bike lanes and building surburban style department stores like bjs and costcos, but for most of us the most important thing is having a dwelling over your head and to live comfortable which is not easy here in nyc. If bloomberg really wants to keep the middle class from leaving, he really needs to lower taxes which wont happen try to lower property prices. So far this moment the biggest problem with nyc and bloomberg is middle class leaving and the massive amount of homeless which clearly visible in this city but bloombuck$ tries eagrly to hide. you also got to remember is not the greedy wall street that did not make america into a global dominant economic engine but its the middle class in this country that did.

Hopefully I can also add my name to the list of 1million new yorkers who fled this city for the past ten years, hopefully it can happen this year because I dont wanna live under Bloombuck$ regime for another four more years!

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-14-2010 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 01-14-2010, 03:12 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I am all for lowering taxes, and so is Bloomberg. Bloomberg will be the FIRST to lower taxes as soon as:

1- city workers take pay cuts, eliminate/substantially reduce their pensions, contribute substantially to their medical, forgo raises. Unions ultimately would be greatly diminshed or cease to exist.
2-the city work force is cut 10% .
3-we eliminate the monumental bureacracy and waste in the public school system.
4-we cut back substantially on the huge number of social programs in the city (including medicaid).
5-we eliminate the overburdening regulations on small and big business alike so businesses are incentivized to open here and stay, increasing employment and broadening the tax base.
6-we cut back substantially on housing for the poor (i.e. housing projects), or convert them to working class housing (with substantially higher rents). What to do with the poor? Hmm..

As soon as all thes things are achieved, Bloomberg will absolutely lower taxes. But as you can see, taxes will never be lowered in any meaningful way because of all the huge and growing obligations the city is saddled with. Bloomberg has almost no control of much of these obligations, and due to powerful special interest groups, no Mayor will. As a result, the middle class is suffering, NOT because of Bloomberg, but because of all these pigs that are feeding at the trough, and nobody can stop them.

Bloomberg had ZERO to do with it and actually made things better. Until all these special interest group are reined in, nothing, and I mean, NOTHING will change. The pigs are getting fatter and fatter, and the middle class can't support them anymore, so they are leaving.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am all for lowering taxes, and so is Bloomberg. Bloomberg will be the FIRST to lower taxes as soon as:

1- city workers take pay cuts, eliminate/substantially reduce their pensions, contribute substantially to their medical, forgo raises. Unions ultimately would be greatly diminshed or cease to exist.
2-the city work force is cut 10% .
3-we eliminate the monumental bureacracy and waste in the public school system.
4-we cut back substantially on the huge number of social programs in the city (including medicaid).
5-we eliminate the overburdening regulations on small and big business alike so businesses are incentivized to open here and stay, increasing employment and broadening the tax base.
6-we cut back substantially on housing for the poor (i.e. housing projects), or convert them to working class housing (with substantially higher rents). What to do with the poor? Hmm..

As soon as all thes things are achieved, Bloomberg will absolutely lower taxes. But as you can see, taxes will never be lowered in any meaningful way because of all the huge and growing obligations the city is saddled with. Bloomberg has almost no control of much of these obligations, and due to powerful special interest groups, no Mayor will. As a result, the middle class is suffering, NOT because of Bloomberg, but because of all these pigs that are feeding at the trough, and nobody can stop them.

Bloomberg had ZERO to do with it and actually made things better. Until all these special interest group are reined in, nothing, and I mean, NOTHING will change. The pigs are getting fatter and fatter, and the middle class can't support them anymore, so they are leaving.
How do you Know Blooooombuck$ will lower taxes, where did you get taht info from?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
How do you Know Blooooombuck$ will lower taxes, where did you get taht info from?
You can't say for sure that Bloomberg will lower taxes, but given those obligations can you really say that anybody else would lower taxes?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,078 times
What's being done in order to retain the middle-class in NYC? First it made me move upstate and now I'm looking to move out west where I can hopefully get a decent return on my $, because the south is no better than it is up here.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:46 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
What's being done in order to retain the middle-class in NYC? First it made me move upstate and now I'm looking to move out west where I can hopefully get a decent return on my $, because the south is no better than it is up here.
I did that by moving back to California. I used to make low $90s and barely could save any money. I lived in Spanish Harlem in a one bedroom apt. I think one needs to make $150K per person to live comfortably.

When I was applying for jobs back then, the HR people would all say the same thing along this line 'wow, we won't be able to pay that salary because that's NY'.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 PM

41 posts, read 154,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
$45,000 - 90,000 for an individual
$75,000 - 135,00 - for a family of 4

But it is estimated that to enjoy the same standard that most people enjoy in rest of the country, that are comfortably middle class, an individual would have to earn at least $123,000 in NYC. This is give or take for which boro a person lives in.
That's messed up (as in bizarre, not as in you're wrong), and I totally believe it. I know one couple, both of whom are physicians, and they just moved out of Manhattan because it was too expensive with two kids. Not big, luxe status-consumer types, either.

It's scary how much good could be done--and isn't--with all that money we spend on inflated costs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City