Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:50 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,485 times

Advertisements

Are there any major programs or new initiatives out there in order to retain moderate income individuals and families?

Also, do you see a future where the city is more friendly to the middle class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Talk to bloombuck$ about the issue of the exodus of middle class nyers.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
Also, do you see a future where the city is more friendly to the middle class?
when bloombuck$$$' term is up.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:45 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
NYC tried to build homes for the low and middle class in the 80's/90's. Problem is many of those people flipped those homes in the 2000's for a tidy profit. As we enter the 2010's those homes are now upside down and slowly coming back onto the market in their 90's pricing. Which in turn will make homes more affordable again.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:32 AM

966 posts, read 2,445,960 times
A related question: What income bracket (or salaries) would be considered middle class in NYC? When I was there, I made anywhere from $45,000 to $48,000 as an adjunct college professor. It became increasingly challenging to make ends meet, but I did all right.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Bloomberg has created an initiative to build/rehad 165,000 units of affordable housing for working/middle income residents, and he is over halfway to that goal. He is also bringing in retail/amenties to sustain this working/middle class population, most notably in areas that are being repositioned for the working/middle class, such as the Southern Bronx.

He has concentrated on making susbstantial quality of life improvements to be competitive with suburbs, such as bringing mainstream retailers like Target/Best Buy/BJs/Costco etc, more parks, 1 million new tree plantings across the city to beautify and clean the air, brought down crime to record lows, expanded first-time home buyer programs to keep people from moving, and added significant bike lanes/paths/trails. These are just the ones off the top of my head, but there is no doubt he is working towards making sure the working/middle class has its place in NYC.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
The middle class has been bailing from NY since the 1940s. In recent times, the biggest driver has been costs/taxes. In the past, it was rampant crime.

NY needs to seriously look into creating a middle class version of section 8 and maybe instead of building low income housing, instead build middle income housing.

However, the school system isn't up to par for most middle class families ether. That's another issue that I hope Bloomberg can deal with.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 AM

278 posts, read 1,520,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
A related question: What income bracket (or salaries) would be considered middle class in NYC? When I was there, I made anywhere from $45,000 to $48,000 as an adjunct college professor. It became increasingly challenging to make ends meet, but I did all right.

Can anyone answer Nala8's question.

I'm curious as to what income bracket does someone need to be in to be considered "middle class" in New York City. Doe is it matter if you own property? Does it matter where you live? Does the number of people in your household matter?

Who are the middle class in NYC? Where are they? Do you consider yourself middle class?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The middle class has been bailing from NY since the 1940s. In recent times, the biggest driver has been costs/taxes. In the past, it was rampant crime.

NY needs to seriously look into creating a middle class version of section 8 and maybe instead of building low income housing, instead build middle income housing.

However, the school system isn't up to par for most middle class families ether. That's another issue that I hope Bloomberg can deal with.
NY has been building and been encouraging the building of lots of middle class housing for years.Check out the HPD website for available developments.
HPD - Homebuyers - Current Housing Lotteries

Hundreds of thousands of NY'ers live in Mitchell Lama middle income developments,both coops and rentals.
HPD - Homebuyers - Mitchell-Lama Co-ops

There are downpayment assistance programs,housing programs for municipal employees,etc.
And believe it or not,there are a lot of middle income people who are on section 8.They just pay a higher percentage of their rent themselves.

Not saying that it is necessarily enough but NY might actually provide more middle class housing assistance than any other city in the country.
The schools will never get much better until the city raises property taxes and is willing to pay the same or close to the same as suburban districts do on a per student /per year basis.Everyone complains about the taxes in NY but in reality,the property taxes(which pay for education) are much lower than anywhere around.And NYC spends 8,500/yr per student on education while districts in Westchester,Nassau,Suffolk and most of NJ and CT spend double and sometimes triple that amount.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-11-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbatiste View Post
Can anyone answer Nala8's question.

I'm curious as to what income bracket does someone need to be in to be considered "middle class" in New York City. Doe is it matter if you own property? Does it matter where you live? Does the number of people in your household matter?

Who are the middle class in NYC? Where are they? Do you consider yourself middle class?
$45,000 - 90,000 for an individual
$75,000 - 135,00 - for a family of 4

But it is estimated that to enjoy the same standard that most people enjoy in rest of the country, that are comfortably middle class, an individual would have to earn at least $123,000 in NYC. This is give or take for which boro a person lives in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City